U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 07:48 AM

20,162 posts, read 26,460,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I generally enjoy your contribution here. This is one of the worst statement yet. Very short sighted.

Short sighted or long sighted, it is true when I say that if tourism doubled or was cut in half, it would not increase or decrease my net worth by a single dollar.
Who is going to presume to know more than I do regarding my financial status?

Basically, you can take what I say or leave it but it remains true nevertheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 07:52 AM

23,263 posts, read 16,088,546 times
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-into-the-city

The last 6 years have been record years. This year is not over, so we'll have to wait and see.

How Sustainable Is The U.S. Dollar Rally? - PowerShares DB USD Bull ETF (NYSEARCA:UUP) | Seeking Alpha

The dollar has been rising against the euro. Britain, where they use the pound, was the first country to leave the European Union. Now there's a major referendum which may lead to Italy leaving the euro. That's taking it's toll on the euro as a currency. The European Union may dissolve entirely in a worst case scenario.

So in the next couple of years I think Leoliu maybe right. We will see.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:27 PM

5,406 posts, read 5,657,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I didn't calculate those numbers, the city did. If you really have to know, you can ask them.
But what is the significance of that stat to this discussion?

Old 12-03-2016, 08:49 PM

4,435 posts, read 2,277,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But what is the significance of that stat to this discussion?
Why don't you read the thread instead of asking? The answer is there.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:39 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,286,892 times
2016 will be a record year for NYC tourism.59MM+ visitors.

The USD has been on a tear for almost 3 years now. That doesn't seem to have stemmed the tide.

The four largest groups of visitors come from England, Canada, Brazil, and China.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:18 AM

230 posts, read 108,426 times
NYC will see more tourist especially if Trump makes his Trump Towers the new NY White House

Old 12-04-2016, 04:54 AM

64,745 posts, read 66,226,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Short sighted or long sighted, it is true when I say that if tourism doubled or was cut in half, it would not increase or decrease my net worth by a single dollar.
Who is going to presume to know more than I do regarding my financial status?

Basically, you can take what I say or leave it but it remains true nevertheless.
tourism in nyc is not linked to the us dollar . nyc is always going to be the choice if that is where you want to go . so , yes i agree , my income is basically not linked to tourism here based on the dollar . on the other hand my investments and interest rates are very linked to the dollar since investing is the bulk of my income .

a strong dollar has been hurting some of my investments as well as any international company's . the dollar has a strong relationship to interest rates too .

we have seen unbelievable carnage the last 90 days in the bond market and gold markets . long term treasury bonds have plunged double digits in just the last month alone . the strong dollar has foreigners bidding up yields on bonds to compensate for currency loss . we have higher inflation fears here with trumps projects and foreigners want to be compensated more for the risk .

so to buy our treasury bonds and corporate bonds right now foreigners want higher yields on bonds to over come the currency losses from a stronger dollar ..

by the way , a 1% increase in bond rates is an increase of 200 billion in interest on the us debt . since the lows the 30 year bond has just about seen a 1% rise . that is an amazing jump in 3 months .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-04-2016 at 05:15 AM..

Old 12-04-2016, 07:13 AM

20,162 posts, read 26,460,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny DeSurf View Post
NYC will see more tourist especially if Trump makes his Trump Towers the new NY White House

Then perhaps they should turn the White House into affordable housing for Washington's poor...Same for Camp David.

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-04-2016 at 07:27 AM..

Old 12-04-2016, 07:35 AM

139 posts, read 88,642 times
i haven't noticed a difference. but i think you're right at a certain dollar level, we'll start to lose tourists. i think for european tourists (maybe japanese too) shopping in nyc is a major attraction. if their money doesn't go as far they will consider other destinations.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:40 AM

64,745 posts, read 66,226,110 times
on the other hand a strong dollar means interest rates are rising and rising interest rates mean the economy is doing better ,wages and employment are doing better so we may very well get more domestic tourists . it can go both ways . more americans may have more dough to visit nyc .

right now we only have interest in seeing america . the better our investments do the more domestic trips we will take in 2017 . for others it may be wage increases in a stronger economy that get them here

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-04-2016 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City