U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 AM

5,326 posts, read 4,009,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Note however in some cultures it is historically frowned upon to ask for the facilities when invited into someone's home. French culture is an example and explains why pubic restrooms are often hard to find. Even today they are mainly located in tourist areas.

In such cultures, several puddles under the dining table must be common?
The French are just weird , man...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 10:56 AM

15,231 posts, read 23,764,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You guys are too funny

and dont be shy, my bathroom is open to you as well.

as long as you flush the bowl, im good.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:33 PM

18,280 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Note however in some cultures it is historically frowned upon to ask for the facilities when invited into someone's home. French culture is an example and explains why pubic restrooms are often hard to find. Even today they are mainly located in tourist areas.

In such cultures, several puddles under the dining table must be common?

No, one just learns to control one's emotions, appetites and bodily functions. French culture is very big on such things.

As with so many things much of modern French culture is based upon ancien régime France. The French may have gotten rid of their kings but they kept quite a lot otherwise.

Some of this translates into the formality of French society/culture. In terms of homes there are "private" and "public" spaces. There are just areas of a French home where guests do not go unless invited, and they likely wouldn't.

Lesson : Les toilettes en France

The whole thing about "toilets" in France is a complicated matter. Until rather recently finding public WCs was no easy matter. As noted even today they tend to be in more touristy areas but even then not a given. The museums and certain public buildings open to public have them, as do the great grand department stores. This and of course the public toilets recently located on streets.

As for the dining table thing; it is considered very bad manners in French culture to leave the dinner table before meal is concluded unless there is an emergency, and no, having to use the loo does not count. This applies to meals given in a private home or elsewhere.

Where to the French go when caught short? Same as it has been for ages; al fresco! As with many other things the French aren't ashamed of bodily functions. You can be driving down a street, road, and see a man pulled over to the shoulder happily peeing away and no one thinks anything of it. Ditto for against walls of buildings, in bushes, etc....

Once was walking along East 73rd towards Madison Avenue in the AM to find a French father holding his son (whose pants were dropped) over a tree bed so the lad could have a pee. Alliance Francaise was still at their old location (East 72nd between Madison and Fifth), so assume the child was a student and that is where they were going until a call from nature intervened.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:40 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,491,045 times
I had no idea other cultures found using the restrooms in other peoples' apartments low class! thank you! I always thought that. I have NO problem with people using my bathroom to pee, but please, PLEASE don't poo here. That is so rude and gross. There's a Starbucks up the street for that, and up until the ginormous yuppie ass condo building got built on the corner of 4th avenue and 1st street in Park Slope I used to be able to tell my guests they can go poop down at the McDonalds!

You NEVER poop in other peoples' places, unless you are staying over for more than 2-3 days and if there's no other options. I can't even poop in other peoples houses or apartments. It's nasty to put your naked butt down on other peoples' privacy.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:43 PM

It's like if you didn't EAT it here, you aint gonna LEAVE it here! that's my motto and I stick by it.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I had no idea other cultures found using the restrooms in other peoples' apartments low class! thank you! I always thought that. I have NO problem with people using my bathroom to pee, but please, PLEASE don't poo here. That is so rude and gross. There's a Starbucks up the street for that, and up until the ginormous yuppie ass condo building got built on the corner of 4th avenue and 1st street in Park Slope I used to be able to tell my guests they can go poop down at the McDonalds!

You NEVER poop in other peoples' places, unless you are staying over for more than 2-3 days and if there's no other options. I can't even poop in other peoples houses or apartments. It's nasty to put your naked butt down on other peoples' privacy.

Persons need to learn to take care of certain things before they leave home and or exercise more control.

Have a female family member who has a bladder the size of a pea! I swear that woman cannot last more than one half hour without having to "go". This chick knows every "nice" public bathroom is in NYC, and every WaWa/rest stop on the NJT.

She has been called out on this many times and just makes fun of it; however much of this behavior is her own fault. She drinks tons of coffee or other caffeine containing beverages then feels "thirsty" so she drinks plenty of water. Either way the result is same....

Last edited by BugsyPal; 12-02-2016 at 08:11 PM..

Old 12-02-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:

Reminds me of that scene from movie "House Party".

Old 12-02-2016, 07:18 PM

lmfao, i am one of those small bladder types though so I can understand her plight. But poop? hells no. It ain't coming out until I get home proper on my throne. What scene from House Party!? that old 90s one with kid n play!? (showing my age here)

Old 12-02-2016, 07:24 PM

things brings me to one other question. do people REALLY wear adult diapers to the New Years Eve ball dropping in Times Square!?!? I would absolutely die being quarantined liked cattle for that many hours, but for real do they really just defecate themselves waiting for that ball to drop!?! I had no idea this was real until sooooooo many people started mentioning it because of all the security and stuff. I can't even watch the ball drop on TV anymore without thinking they are all pissing themselves in Depends. NO!!! If you have a coat you could just pee in an empty bottle, right?! or do they confiscate those too? All the fun sucked out of things in the name of security and order, meanwhile you've done nothing but allowed the biggest pee-weirdos to congregate in the middle of times square! no. way. never

Old 12-02-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
lmfao, i am one of those small bladder types though so I can understand her plight. But poop? hells no. It ain't coming out until I get home proper on my throne. What scene from House Party!? that old 90s one with kid n play!? (showing my age here)
Adult diapers come in all sorts of fashionable designs and styles. I've come flat out and told certain persons they need to invest because when this train *leaves the station* it is running express. Not limited, not local, but express.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or