Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 12,964 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where (in which code/law/section) there is a requirement for a 12" non-combustible smoke drop for kitchenettes?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times
Protean,
What is a "smoke drop?" Perhaps the distance from the range top to a combustible surface above? That is usually 30 inches.

I would love to put a shelf above my stove for my microwave, toaster etc. but I don't want to run afoul of any building inspections. Thirty inches up is too high to be handy and I can't find any appropriate metal shelves for 24 inches.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:36 AM

33,327 posts, read 46,766,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protean View Post
Does anyone know where (in which code/law/section) there is a requirement for a 12" non-combustible smoke drop for kitchenettes?
Thanks
it's called a soffit.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/download...ode/bc27s5.pdf

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-29-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Protean,
What is a "smoke drop?" Perhaps the distance from the range top to a combustible surface above? That is usually 30 inches.

I would love to put a shelf above my stove for my microwave, toaster etc. but I don't want to run afoul of any building inspections. Thirty inches up is too high to be handy and I can't find any appropriate metal shelves for 24 inches.
Interior Drop Soffits | Build Blog

Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 AM

Seventh Floor,
Why would they call a soffit a "smoke drop?" Is there some sort of exhast fan in the "smoke drop," perhaps a soffit routing cooking smells outdoor?

Quote:
And who can possibly imagine that all kitchens be required to have a 12 inch soffit?

I'm confused.

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-30-2012 at 09:10 AM..

Old 09-30-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Seventh Floor,
Why would they call a soffit a "smoke drop?" Is there some sort of exhast fan in the "smoke drop," perhaps a soffit routing cooking smells outdoor?

And who can possibly imagine that all kitchens be required to have a 12 inch soffit?

I'm confused.
No...think of a kitchen without walls.....like many of these new places that have combo living/dining room. instead of the wall coming down fully to separate the kitchen from the living room, the wall comes down only 12" from the ceiling, on the border of the kitchen. Thats the soffit. It is for the purpose to keep smoke from spreading rapidly all over the house, and contains it to the kitchen only.

FYI the soffit is only a requirement for kitchenettes, I forgot how much sq ft is considered a kitchenette.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:32 PM

So then a kitchenette cannot actually be part and parcel of the "open concept" it needs a 12 inch soffit, aka smoke drop, to separate it from the rest of the "openess?"

Do I have that right?

Jeez, as if a 12 inch drop wil lhelp with a grease fire in the "kitchenette?"

If there is such a regulation, it seems a silly one.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:09 PM

10,218 posts, read 19,094,071 times
The only requirement I can find in the code posted is a note which isn't even referenced in the fire rating table, which states that kitchens of less than 49 square feet must be separated from other spaces by a partition with a fire rating of 1 hour, except the entrances which have no requirement at all. Nothing about a soffit. But it could be elsewhere in the code.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 6,610 times
We are taking down the wall between our kitchen (approx 84 sq ft) and living room and building an island. Not moving any appliances, so new stove will be installed in island exactly where it was before. Bldg built in 1965, ceilings are 8'. Is a soffit required above the island or between the cabinet tops and ceiling on the kitchen wall? If so, ehst's the least height it needs to be? I've heard rumors, but can't make head or tails of the building code manual. Please help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City