U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Shoud. Be Done With BQE?
Bury it like the "Big Dig" 15 65.22%
Make it street level like West Side Highway 1 4.35%
Rebuild and replace the current elevated highway with another 2 8.70%
Repair the current highway and keep things as they are. 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 06:43 PM

20,905 posts, read 22,820,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
City is finally getting ready to do major (and much needed) road work on the BQE. However the larger question remains, are there alternatives to the current raised roadway? This comes as the Brooklyn waterfront increasingly has become prime residential and recreational real estate.

At the time of Robert Moses, it was supposed to be a below level parkway just like other parts of it are now. But the people with money and political power said no to that and what is seen today "is" the alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 10:24 PM

11,852 posts, read 7,787,500 times
The Effin BQE has been under repairs ever since I was a kid. This thing is a huge pile of wasteful spending while China already had cities built in the same time it takes NYC pouring billions down this drain.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:47 PM

5,982 posts, read 7,543,158 times
Road like 'bqe' and others reminded me of small Latin American countries.looks .Ile it'd not been maintained in decades. I left the city fax as I could won't be back unless for another memorial. Lived there long enough to not need a visit as tourist.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:50 PM

2,331 posts, read 4,869,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post

If Moses had this way, we'd have the Cross-Brooklyn expressway and maybe a couple other other highways that would alleviate the constant bottlenecks on the BQE.

The BQE is a perpetual nightmare...but sometimes a necessary evil. Getting from parts of Queens to South Brooklyn is grueling if you take streets, so much that the decrepit and cramped BQE is sadly easier.

I think rebuilding above ground is sufficient in most spots, but that proposed stretch of tunnel that would bypass the "dog ear" around Brooklyn Heights and keep a straight path instead is a great idea.
Moses was a complete jacka*s. Look at the Prospect Expressway. It destroyed a section of the beautiful Ocean Parkway. And if he enough time and money, he would have continued it to Coney Island and destroyed the rest of Ocean Parkway.

Moses was also going to plow the BQE right through the heart of Brooklyn Heights, but the residents were able to shift it to the river.

His Lower Manhattan Expressway would have destroyed Soho, and created another bumper-to-bumper Cross Bronx Expressway style mess across Manhattan.

Instead of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, he wanted and almost got a bridge (bridges are cool, tunnels are nothing), which would have destroyed lower Manhattan.

I can go on and on. The guy would have plowed under the entire city with highways if he had his way.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:33 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,904,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Moses was a complete jacka*s. Look at the Prospect Expressway. It destroyed a section of the beautiful Ocean Parkway. And if he enough time and money, he would have continued it to Coney Island and destroyed the rest of Ocean Parkway.

Moses was also going to plow the BQE right through the heart of Brooklyn Heights, but the residents were able to shift it to the river.

His Lower Manhattan Expressway would have destroyed Soho, and created another bumper-to-bumper Cross Bronx Expressway style mess across Manhattan.

Instead of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, he wanted and almost got a bridge (bridges are cool, tunnels are nothing), which would have destroyed lower Manhattan.

I can go on and on. The guy would have plowed under the entire city with highways if he had his way.
Ocean Parkway today probably would be better off if it actually was a real highway, especially given what DeBlasio has done to that street.

I don't understand why so much money gets put into the BQE and the highway is still s**t? Are they paying workers just to sit on their asses for 30 years?

Old 12-06-2016, 04:21 AM

18,455 posts, read 11,856,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Ocean Parkway today probably would be better off if it actually was a real highway, especially given what DeBlasio has done to that street.

I don't understand why so much money gets put into the BQE and the highway is still s**t? Are they paying workers just to sit on their asses for 30 years?
Your beloved mayor has even more changes in store for Ocean Parkway...
Hikind, Brooklyn Residents Protest DOT Over Ocean Parkway Changes | The Jewish Week

Old 12-06-2016, 06:58 AM

729 posts, read 500,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post

I don't disagree that Moses was too extreme with some of his more invasive route ideas, he definitely had a one track mind when it came to planning. BUT, that being said, I feel the city really could have benefited from more highways. We're a major world city with nearly third world roadways and a major part of why our street traffic is so bad is because of a lack of other options. I think of other cities I've been to, and there you can effectively get from opposite ends of the city without being in stand still traffic on an expressway and without creating thru-traffic on any local streets. Considering that the furthest north and south points between Brooklyn and Queens are not more than 15 miles apart, I think its scary that it takes 1 hour and 15 mins to drive from one to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or