Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Shoud. Be Done With BQE?
Bury it like the "Big Dig" 15 65.22%
Make it street level like West Side Highway 1 4.35%
Rebuild and replace the current elevated highway with another 2 8.70%
Repair the current highway and keep things as they are. 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 08:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
City is finally getting ready to do major (and much needed) road work on the BQE. However the larger question remains, are there alternatives to the current raised roadway? This comes as the Brooklyn waterfront increasingly has become prime residential and recreational real estate.

Like the old elevated West Side Highway the current BQE denies access to the waterfront for many in Brooklyn. In past years there have been ideas to bury the thing (like the Big Dig in Boston), but prove too costly. Another option would be to make it street level like the Westside Highway, which came about after Westway was killed. Either would give Brooklyn residents and visitors greater access to waterfront and probably help drive up RE values. Just look at what has happened along West Street in Manhattan.

On the B.Q.E., Road Work Ahead, Forever - The New York Times

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/11/28/1376...ghts-promenade

$1.7-billion BQE repairs will be most expensive in city history • Brooklyn Paper
Don't worry bugsypal. Donald Trump will issue a 1 trillion dollar infrastructure budget. Money printed out of thin air and borrowed from the private bank known as the Federal Reserve. This project will come in handy for many Brooklyn residents. As for burying the BQE? That will cost billions of dollars and take more than a decade to complete. By time its complete, Megan and caleb who moved to Williamsburg Brooklyn will be already planning on moving back to the mdiwest to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
"Your suggestions?"

Get rid of a solid 50% of the population of this city. That's the only thing that will help the BQE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You do realize a large amount of traffic on the BQE going north is coming from New Jersey via the VNB?

This and or from the Belt or Prospect seeking to avoid tolls on the VNB going onto SI and through to NJ.

Large amounts of truck traffic do this, and also the reason why Canal, Houston and few other major cross town streets in Mid-Town/Lower Manhattan are packed with traffic as well. Trucks and others take the free East River crossings to reach the also free Hudson River crossings into NJ.

Let me clarify then:

Get rid of 50% of the population of the metropolitan area. Hell, the tri-state area.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:36 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
"Your suggestions?"

Get rid of a solid 50% of the population of this city. That's the only thing that will help the BQE.
You are going to love retirement in North Carolina!

Old 12-01-2016, 11:03 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
"Your suggestions?"

Agreed.

The BQE sucks, I drove on it yesterday from Hamilton to Mcguinness Blvd. If it wasn't such a disaster I would take it to the LIE. Brooklyn in general needs more highways, that's just a fact. If money wasn't an issue, then Atlantic Avenue, Linden Blvd, Kings Hwy, Eastern Parkway, and Ocean Parkway should be converted into actual highways.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:51 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Let me clarify then:

Get rid of 50% of the population of the metropolitan area. Hell, the tri-state area.
Are you a democrat?

Old 12-02-2016, 04:00 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Agreed.

The BQE sucks, I drove on it yesterday from Hamilton to Mcguinness Blvd. If it wasn't such a disaster I would take it to the LIE. Brooklyn in general needs more highways, that's just a fact. If money wasn't an issue, then Atlantic Avenue, Linden Blvd, Kings Hwy, Eastern Parkway, and Ocean Parkway should be converted into actual highways.
No. Brooklyn is fine the way it is. This is not Los Angeles.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:56 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Are you a democrat?
Negative

Old 12-02-2016, 08:45 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
People still drive on the BQE, risking damage to their car?

The BQE and the Cross Bronx are probably 2 of the worst expressways in the nation. Their designs are severely outdated.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-02-2016, 09:51 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
People still drive on the BQE, risking damage to their car?

The BQE and the Cross Bronx are probably 2 of the worst expressways in the nation. Their designs are severely outdated.
I drove that every weekday for 32 years. I can't tell you how many front ends I went through.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:33 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I work down by the Gowanus, and if were made street level, that would mean combining the traffic on 3rd ave plus the expressway traffic. that will never happen.
They have been working on the Gowanus part for what it seems like decades, with new road tops, which are pretty good. However underneath, really needs a paint job.

I could care less what they do, as I am already a middle age and and by the time something or anything for that matter ever gets done, if it ever does, i will be dead and buried or retired out in palm Springs california and wont give a rats azzz about the BQE, or anything in NYC for that matter.

We can all thank Robert Moses for this.

But maybe not even, there is just so many people traveling this way, thats what the whole problem is, its the amount of cars and trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City