U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What Shoud. Be Done With BQE?
Bury it like the "Big Dig" 15 65.22%
Make it street level like West Side Highway 1 4.35%
Rebuild and replace the current elevated highway with another 2 8.70%
Repair the current highway and keep things as they are. 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2016, 07:04 PM
 
18,241 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Reputation: 11847

Advertisements

City is finally getting ready to do major (and much needed) road work on the BQE. However the larger question remains, are there alternatives to the current raised roadway? This comes as the Brooklyn waterfront increasingly has become prime residential and recreational real estate.


Like the old elevated West Side Highway the current BQE denies access to the waterfront for many in Brooklyn. In past years there have been ideas to bury the thing (like the Big Dig in Boston), but prove too costly. Another option would be to make it street level like the Westside Highway, which came about after Westway was killed. Either would give Brooklyn residents and visitors greater access to waterfront and probably help drive up RE values. Just look at what has happened along West Street in Manhattan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/ny...d-forever.html


http://ny.curbed.com/2016/11/28/1376...ghts-promenade


$1.7-billion BQE repairs will be most expensive in city history • Brooklyn Paper

Last edited by BugsyPal; 12-01-2016 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2016, 07:18 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,408 posts, read 2,265,992 times
Reputation: 4870
I'd like to know how much the below ground option is before dismissing it as being too expensive. This is my preferred option - underground.

The estimate for the repair option is not cheap either and all we're getting is the same old roadway. It won't be long before it needs repairs again.

The street level option is not a workable solution. The volume of traffic on the BQE is many, many times the Westside Hwy. You can't have stoplights every few intersections. No one will get anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2016, 07:49 PM
 
18,241 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Reputation: 11847
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I'd like to know how much the below ground option is before dismissing it as being too expensive. This is my preferred option - underground.

The estimate for the repair option is not cheap either and all we're getting is the same old roadway. It won't be long before it needs repairs again.

The street level option is not a workable solution. The volume of traffic on the BQE is many, many times the Westside Hwy. You can't have stoplights every few intersections. No one will get anywhere.

According to DOE a tunnel to replace BQE would cost "several billion dollars"


http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories..._08_27_bk.html

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-hts-city-says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2016, 07:53 PM
 
4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
Reputation: 5521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
City is finally getting ready to do major (and much needed) road work on the BQE. However the larger question remains, are there alternatives to the current raised roadway? This comes as the Brooklyn waterfront increasingly has become prime residential and recreational real estate.


Like the old elevated West Side Highway the current BQE denies access to the waterfront for many in Brooklyn. In past years there have been ideas to bury the thing (like the Big Dig in Boston), but prove too costly. Another option would be to make it street level like the Westside Highway, which came about after Westway was killed. Either would give Brooklyn residents and visitors greater access to waterfront and probably help drive up RE values. Just look at what has happened along West Street in Manhattan.

On the B.Q.E., Road Work Ahead, Forever - The New York Times


http://ny.curbed.com/2016/11/28/1376...ghts-promenade


$1.7-billion BQE repairs will be most expensive in city history Brooklyn Paper

They have been working on the BQE for YEARS and it still looks like garbage. I'd like to know how much money they've put into it in the past thirty years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2016, 07:56 PM
 
3,700 posts, read 2,485,824 times
Reputation: 2614
quote:
I'd like to know how much money they've put into it in the past thirty years.


You'll have to talk to real estate agents in Florida for that kind privy info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2016, 08:00 PM
 
18,241 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Reputation: 11847
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
They have been working on the BQE for YEARS and it still looks like garbage. I'd like to know how much money they've put into it in the past thirty years.


Usually coming back from SI go through NJ to avoid the whole Gowanus-BQE-Brooklyn Bridge mess.


However coming back from Thanksgiving weekend this year noticed yet something else new has been added. Now there is a walled off section for those going to the Battery Tunnel on the left.


Since do not like driving in such spaces kept on keeping on and noticed nothing much had changed. Soon as you get near Ikea things start backing up as people need to merge for either traffic going on north or those taking the Battery Tunnel.


Also whatever purpose that walled or whatever lane is suppose to serve, it didn't. Peeps still ride in the "Battery Tunnel" lane then try to merge over at the last minute. If you leave just a tiny gap between you and the vehicle in front they will try to nose their front end in to push their way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2016, 08:04 PM
 
4,911 posts, read 6,818,691 times
Reputation: 4279
"Your suggestions?"


Get rid of a solid 50% of the population of this city. That's the only thing that will help the BQE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2016, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Bronx
14,780 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Reputation: 7508
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
"Your suggestions?"


Get rid of a solid 50% of the population of this city. That's the only thing that will help the BQE.
I agree with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2016, 08:07 PM
 
3,700 posts, read 2,485,824 times
Reputation: 2614
OH and fat people apparently . They cost more to transport... doesn't matter if it's by train, plane, or automobile (and they take more more space on sidewalks).

fyi: I am not against fat peope, im sorta fat myself. But they do waste the lionshare of public monies on EVERYTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2016, 08:26 PM
 
18,241 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Reputation: 11847
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
"Your suggestions?"


Get rid of a solid 50% of the population of this city. That's the only thing that will help the BQE.

You do realize a large amount of traffic on the BQE going north is coming from New Jersey via the VNB?


This and or from the Belt or Prospect seeking to avoid tolls on the VNB going onto SI and through to NJ.


Large amounts of truck traffic do this, and also the reason why Canal, Houston and few other major cross town streets in Mid-Town/Lower Manhattan are packed with traffic as well. Trucks and others take the free East River crossings to reach the also free Hudson River crossings into NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top