U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 05:10 PM

5,676 posts, read 5,154,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was in a car the other day -- we were about 1.5 blocks away from the destination in Midtown. I offered to get out and walk but my friend who was driving would not let me (mostly due to the heavy rain). The GPS said 4 minutes to walk and 14 minutes to drive. We kept driving, but the 14 minutes actually went up to 15 or more as we inched along in gridlock. We did finally make it and she double parked illegally while I ran in, since of course there was no place to park except for the $28 per hour garages.

I guess my point is that even if you are 1.5 blocks from your destination in the car, that can be 15 minutes of driving time. Also if you have to add parking into the equation, then forget it.
Yes this was my point by the comment above. Your story was a great example!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Obviously this was not a positive post about NYC driving. It doesn't make sense to me why someone would ask a question and demand that the answers contain inaccurate information.
I understand the OP doesn't wasn't to hear negative comments but I also think its important to point out reality.
I think your story was actually positive because it shows the truth of driving in the city. To me honesty is a positive thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 05:11 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,515,337 times
It's great if you work graveyard shift.

That's about the best I can say.

You need to know the location of your company. That's essential.
If they're not in Manhattan- it's doable.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:26 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,794,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
It's great if you work graveyard shift.

That's about the best I can say.

You need to know the location of your company. That's essential.
If they're not in Manhattan- it's doable.
Agreed re: graveyard shift, and not in Manhattan.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:31 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,281,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare X View Post
I already know all the negatives about driving in NYC, so no need to point those out. What I'm looking for on this post are some positive comments about driving in NYC i.e. "you can do it," "I've done it," "it is doable, despite all the negatives...." etc.

NYC is not my ideal choice of place to live and work, but I really need a job right now (I'm looking for public policy jobs/ I currently live in Georgia) and don't feel good about ruling out NYC simply because I don't want to use public transport, and don't like automatically ruling out being able to drive to work (some people must surely drive there!).... I'm just one of those people who needs their privacy and warmth in their own space when travelling.

Any positive stories regarding how you and/or others made driving a car to work in NYC doable? I don't plan on living in the center of NYC, I just need to be able to drive to work there, and maybe live about 20/25 minutes away (by car).

Thanks in advance!
Putting the cart before the horse much?

Find a job. Then find your place of residence.
Only then can we talk of driving to work.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:52 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicaOnTheHudson View Post
Well, as you'll spend the majority of your time sitting in traffic, there's little chance of getting into a high speed crash.
It seems pretty easy to hit a pedestrian, though. There are many opportunities to do so, either because you're turning so you have the light and they also have the light and there's not enough time to make it through if you let them all go (so you go anyway even though you might hit one) and then there are all the insane jaywalking pedestrians on their phones who cross against the light while you have a green.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:17 PM

65 posts, read 44,271 times
The hours you work will come into play as well. When I was pregnant, my spouse started to drive us into Manhattan for work rather than have me walk to public transportation in the winter. I worked in health care and was in Manhattan prior to 6 am so the drive in from the northern suburbs was very easy (evening was less so). Parking costs became outrageous though. Eventually I took a car service because it came out better than driving & parking. (on another note, I was not a native New Yorker when I moved to the area. I wasn't at all familiar with trains & subways at first. They eventually became the best things ever. I now live in an area without great public transport and really miss it).

Old 12-04-2016, 03:22 AM

24 posts, read 22,586 times
The best thing to do I found is to find a job on the lower east side. The parking and traffic there is not as bad as midtown and the upper parts of Manhattan. It is though VERY expensive to own a car in nyc. If they don't get you on the parking meters and garages, they will get you on your insurance. Insurance in nyc is NOT CHEAP and you can get discouraged very easily from just having to pay it. If you live in certain parts of queens, insurance rates aren't too bad but if you live in Brooklyn or manhattan, the rates will murder you. This city is NOT livable. It is just better if one just stops working all together and go on welfare in this city. We live in a city where it DOESN'T pay to work anymore due to our subways and railroads being so expensive and our tolls are the highest in the country.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:38 AM

9,886 posts, read 7,681,611 times
I drive to work, but I'm a NYer. Been driving around here since I got my permit. I find it easy, but I know where to, and where not to, go. And at what times. I recommend you don't drive as someone coming from out of town. You're just not going to be able to compete with us locals. We're a little on the crazy side.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:03 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,665,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare X View Post
I already know all the negatives about driving in NYC, so no need to point those out. What I'm looking for on this post are some positive comments about driving in NYC i.e. "you can do it," "I've done it," "it is doable, despite all the negatives...." etc.

NYC is not my ideal choice of place to live and work, but I really need a job right now (I'm looking for public policy jobs/ I currently live in Georgia) and don't feel good about ruling out NYC simply because I don't want to use public transport, and don't like automatically ruling out being able to drive to work (some people must surely drive there!).... I'm just one of those people who needs their privacy and warmth in their own space when travelling.

Any positive stories regarding how you and/or others made driving a car to work in NYC doable? I don't plan on living in the center of NYC, I just need to be able to drive to work there, and maybe live about 20/25 minutes away (by car).

Thanks in advance!

It depends on when and where. It sounds like you have no clue as to where you will be working or living, so without that there isn't much an opinion.

You will find it is faster to commute by train than car in many instances depending on location and other times not so much. Some areas of NYC do not have much in terms of public transit.

BTW-I drove to work for over three years and the main reason I left was the commute. I wasn't driving to the city---I was driving from the city to LI and on graveyard. Unfortunately, that meant I was driving in the morning back home WITH traffic. What a nightmare. And many times at night I'd hit traffic or leave early because you will find roadwork popping up, sometimes very long projects, that will make your trip even longer. (And constant accidents.) As much as I hate being stuffed on a train with people, I'd take over sitting in mindless traffic everyday.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:17 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,063,445 times
The only way is if you pay for parking in a lot somewhere and that will cost you a lot. Research into what garages are charging for where you work. You will literally take as much time looking for a free legit parking spot than the drive itself for Manhattan (especially Lower Manhattan). Too few parking spots during regular business hours and the spots that are legit are already taken, so I would count out finding any free street parking unless you dont mind spending quite some time before work looking for it).

Save yourself the stress and don't make the move or be ready to take mass transit. This is the major reason why I choose to work in the outer boroughs, so that I am able to drive to and from work without paying enormous parking fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or