U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 02:41 PM

14 posts, read 5,679 times

Advertisements

I already know all the negatives about driving in NYC, so no need to point those out. What I'm looking for on this post are some positive comments about driving in NYC i.e. "you can do it," "I've done it," "it is doable, despite all the negatives...." etc.

NYC is not my ideal choice of place to live and work, but I really need a job right now (I'm looking for public policy jobs/ I currently live in Georgia) and don't feel good about ruling out NYC simply because I don't want to use public transport, and don't like automatically ruling out being able to drive to work (some people must surely drive there!).... I'm just one of those people who needs their privacy and warmth in their own space when travelling.

Any positive stories regarding how you and/or others made driving a car to work in NYC doable? I don't plan on living in the center of NYC, I just need to be able to drive to work there, and maybe live about 20/25 minutes away (by car).

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 02:43 PM

490 posts, read 606,817 times
Stay in the south. You will not be happy here, especially if you need your "privacy and warmth" when commuting to work. In all seriousness, you need to find out where you are working first before someone can give you meaningful advice. Some areas are more car-oriented than others.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:01 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,799,187 times
If you get a job in Manhattan (where many/most jobs in NYC are), then I don't recommend driving to work.
There is no where to park. Seriously stressful.

However, if you have a job in Brooklyn, for example, and live somewhere else in Brooklyn, or live in Queens (maybe - lots of rush hour traffic in general), in theory you could drive to work. That is if your job happens to have parking nearby.

I live in Brooklyn and work in Brooklyn and drive to work, but both my home and work neighborhoods happen to not be too congested, and have decent street parking.
Most NYC neighborhoods (even in Brooklyn or Queens) are not like that.

Forget about driving in Manhattan for sure.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:09 PM

5,715 posts, read 5,166,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare X View Post
I don't plan on living in the center of NYC, I just need to be able to drive to work there, and maybe live about 20/25 minutes away (by car).
There is no way to know day to day, or time by time that it will take you only 20 minutes to get to work by car. Theres a thing called traffic in the city.
You could live on the uws and work and midtown and it could easily take you 20 plus minutes durning rush hour driving. Shoot you could live 10 blocks from your job and drive there and it could take you 20 minutes.
Get use to the idea of public transportation, or living in Manhattan if you get a job in Manhattan.
Plus parking your car in a garage usually take a good 5 minutes itself. So that leaves you even less driving time. And searching for free parking (if available where your job is) will take you longer than you whole budgeted time.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:30 PM

10,619 posts, read 20,750,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
There is no way to know day to day, or time by time that it will take you only 20 minutes to get to work by car. Theres a thing called traffic in the city.
You could live on the uws and work and midtown and it could easily take you 20 plus minutes durning rush hour driving. Shoot you could live 10 blocks from your job and drive there and it could take you 20 minutes.
Get use to the idea of public transportation, or living in Manhattan if you get a job in Manhattan.
Plus parking your car in a garage usually take a good 5 minutes itself. So that leaves you even less driving time. And searching for free parking (if available where your job is) will take you longer than you whole budgeted time.
I was in a car the other day -- we were about 1.5 blocks away from the destination in Midtown. I offered to get out and walk but my friend who was driving would not let me (mostly due to the heavy rain). The GPS said 4 minutes to walk and 14 minutes to drive. We kept driving, but the 14 minutes actually went up to 15 or more as we inched along in gridlock. We did finally make it and she double parked illegally while I ran in, since of course there was no place to park except for the $28 per hour garages.

I guess my point is that even if you are 1.5 blocks from your destination in the car, that can be 15 minutes of driving time. Also if you have to add parking into the equation, then forget it.

Obviously this was not a positive post about NYC driving. It doesn't make sense to me why someone would ask a question and demand that the answers contain inaccurate information.

On the other hand, I can agree with Shoshanarose. I do know people who live in Queens and work in Queens and do drive. However, of the people I can think of, they live in buildings that have parking garages, and there's a parking garage at their job where they can park at the other end. This is not that common to have low-cost parking available on both ends, even in the outer boroughs.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:56 PM

187 posts, read 552,820 times
As others have said, driving to work in Manhattan will get old FAST. Learn how to use public transportation if you plan to live AND work there - if 20 minutes is your goal try to find something within walking distance. I personally love the subway - no worries about parking, traffic, jaywalking pedestrians (!)..

Unless you are someone of a high enough level to have work paid 'car service', I think you aren't going to get a whole lot of 'no worries' comments about your plan. :P

Old 12-03-2016, 04:01 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,237,612 times
Not much, except you can listen to your favorite music while driving and stuck in that forever ever traffic.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:30 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,862,532 times
I hope this is your dream job. Otherwise, don't come. You asked for positive comments, but it's not that simple. I would not come to NYC on the basis that you just really need a job right now. If you're looking to drive and have a set time on the length of your commute, this is not the place for you. I don't think you and NYC would get along...based on all the other things you shared.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:30 PM

74 posts, read 45,336 times
I don't drive to work but I work for a big hospital system, and I can use a convenient shuttle bus between western Queens and Manhattan. This has several advantages:
- it's free
- I get on the bus right in front of the building I work in, and I get off about 8 min walk from my home
- the bus is half-empty, so yes, it feels more private than the subway
- no parking involved
- employer pays tolls
Although the bus takes the highway (if you do by yourself you need to pay tolls everyday) and the route does not involve the most congested parts of Manhattan, it still takes 40 min. Practically the same as the subway.

The only way for your plan to work is if your work is located further out, your employer offers free parking and you live relatively close by, again at a neighborhood where parking is realistic.

As others said, it sounds like this is not a good fit for you. Some people love cars and driving and others (like me) hate them.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:04 PM

439 posts, read 229,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare X View Post
I already know all the negatives about driving in NYC, so no need to point those out. What I'm looking for on this post are some positive comments about driving in NYC i.e. "you can do it," "I've done it," "it is doable, despite all the negatives...." etc.

NYC is not my ideal choice of place to live and work, but I really need a job right now (I'm looking for public policy jobs/ I currently live in Georgia) and don't feel good about ruling out NYC simply because I don't want to use public transport, and don't like automatically ruling out being able to drive to work (some people must surely drive there!).... I'm just one of those people who needs their privacy and warmth in their own space when travelling.

Any positive stories regarding how you and/or others made driving a car to work in NYC doable? I don't plan on living in the center of NYC, I just need to be able to drive to work there, and maybe live about 20/25 minutes away (by car).

Thanks in advance!
I did it...For a couple years. I also drove a relative from Xburbia to the Battery (everyday, 175 miles RT). Needless to say, I now work remotely for most of the week (and my relative rides Metro North, MetroCard in hand). It's much, much better. That said, I still have to make an appearance at my workplace a few times per week and I, like you, value my personal autonomy (i.e hate public transportation). As such, I also own and maintain a vehicle.

Getting all that out of the way, I believe in honesty, and therefore will not lie to you: Driving to Manhattan is a nightmare. The drivers going into Manhattan are also nightmares. When you get there, parking in Manhattan is a nightmare (my Jeep was towed twice, and was VERY expensive to spring from the 'yard). That said, not working in Manhattan is a nightmare, because that's where all of the decent-paying jobs are (which you will need in order to afford commuting). Driving to the City is both expensive AND stressful. So, you ask, are there any bright spots? Well, as you'll spend the majority of your time sitting in traffic, there's little chance of getting into a high speed crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or