U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 03:57 PM

18,304 posts, read 11,693,181 times

Advertisements

Your on your own peeps!

Airbnb sells out hosts in NYC lawsuit settlement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 05:15 PM

23,262 posts, read 16,082,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes.

But Airbnb has already become so huge that it affects WHERE people travel and areas which were previously not tourist destinations have now become huge destinations thanks to Airbnb.

So Airbnb can simply shift business to cities and countries where it is legal. NYC loses MONEY!

And this is at a stupid time. This Sunday Italy has a national referendum which may result in Italy leaving the EU. If the EU disintegrates the dollar will be the world's strongest currency, and that is going to make NYC too expensive for many American and European tourists who will just go elsewhere.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:44 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,285,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes.

But Airbnb has already become so huge that it affects WHERE people travel and areas which were previously not tourist destinations have now become huge destinations thanks to Airbnb.

So Airbnb can simply shift business to cities and countries where it is legal. NYC loses MONEY!

And this is at a stupid time. This Sunday Italy has a national referendum which may result in Italy leaving the EU. If the EU disintegrates the dollar will be the world's strongest currency, and that is going to make NYC too expensive for many American and European tourists who will just go elsewhere.
You are an idiot. AirBnB creates tourist destinations?

Please name some areas that were not tourist destinations before AirBnB but have now become huge destinations thanks to Airbnb?

Old 12-03-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You are an idiot. AirBnB creates tourist destinations?

Please name some areas that were not tourist destinations before AirBnB but have now become huge destinations thanks to Airbnb?
You know, I always love seeing you proved wrong. Declaring yourself knowledgeable on everything, and that being proven wrong again, again, and again.

Use Google to research Airbnb's effect on tourism. Better yet use the service yourself, and get back to me.

But yes, Airbnb changes tourist destinations. Travel to countries like Mexico used to be centered mainly around the resort areas, where the hotel industry invested in hotels. Now there are a lot of Airbnb lists in the central parts of Mexico City that previously wouldn't have gotten many tourists. And now they do, for $20 a NIGHT! I could say the same for much of Latin America, and I would know, as I have been using Airbnb to go to these destinations for $20 a night. Businesses is going well for them and yes, they do create new destinations.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:04 AM

230 posts, read 108,426 times
be looking for AirBnB to be in more law suits...AirBnB is contacting business in countries where a physical signature is required by law for any type of rental agreement. There are no physical signatures with AirBnb and these governments are going to be coming after AirBnB. Also they are not reporting rental income to countries that require it, allowing the host to rent out their properties without paying any taxes. They are pissing quite a few countries off. I will never us them.

Old 12-04-2016, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny DeSurf View Post
be looking for AirBnB to be in more law suits...AirBnB is contacting business in countries where a physical signature is required by law for any type of rental agreement. There are no physical signatures with AirBnb and these governments are going to be coming after AirBnB. Also they are not reporting rental income to countries that require it, allowing the host to rent out their properties without paying any taxes. They are pissing quite a few countries off. I will never us them.
Most of these countries won't care. You think they seriously care about physical signatures and all for Latin America or the Caribbean? Not at all.

I doubt they care in Africa as a whole, or most of Asia (China and Japan likely hate Airbnb as an American company though).

So again all this does is just shift travelers and MONEY to nations and municipalities that have no interest in all these regulations.

I've used them repeatedly and it certainly makes travel more affordable.

Before Airbnb, people always rented out their rooms to travelers (Craigslist, posting ads in newspapers, using roommate recruitment agencies, etc). Airbnb by verifying the identity of the host and traveler and by issuing reviews in many ways has made traveling a LOT SAFER. Ditto Uber and Lyft.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:04 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,285,961 times
Quote:
You know, I always love seeing you proved wrong. Declaring yourself knowledgeable on everything, and that being proven wrong again, again, and again.

Use Google to research Airbnb's effect on tourism. Better yet use the service yourself, and get back to me.

But yes, Airbnb changes tourist destinations. Travel to countries like Mexico used to be centered mainly around the resort areas, where the hotel industry invested in hotels. Now there are a lot of Airbnb lists in the central parts of Mexico City that previously wouldn't have gotten many tourists. And now they do, for $20 a NIGHT! I could say the same for much of Latin America, and I would know, as I have been using Airbnb to go to these destinations for $20 a night. Businesses is going well for them and yes, they do create new destinations.
You claimed that AirBnB creates new, major, huge tourist destinations.
Where are they? Can you please name some?

Which backwater, derelict city/country is hot on the heels of the mega tourist destinations such as NYC, Paris, London, Tokyo, Moscow, etc. because of AirBnB?

Has AirBnB opened up destinations on the margins? Has AirBnB made it easier to find accommodation in developing countries with poor tourism infrastructure? Certainly. Is AirBnB creating new major tourist hubs? Certainly not.

I'm waiting for the numbers. I won't see them because you're full of ****. You throw out patently false statements.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:02 PM

6,909 posts, read 9,041,121 times
/\/\

What can be ascertained is that Airbnb works well in markets that have already arrived, which in the case with nyc and the greater nys. With the new administration threatening to defund progressive states and cities, theze jurisdictions better find ways to raise tax revenues faster and that can only be done by creating something of value.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You claimed that AirBnB creates new, major, huge tourist destinations.
Where are they? Can you please name some?

Which backwater, derelict city/country is hot on the heels of the mega tourist destinations such as NYC, Paris, London, Tokyo, Moscow, etc. because of AirBnB?

Has AirBnB opened up destinations on the margins? Has AirBnB made it easier to find accommodation in developing countries with poor tourism infrastructure? Certainly. Is AirBnB creating new major tourist hubs? Certainly not.

I'm waiting for the numbers. I won't see them because you're full of ****. You throw out patently false statements.

Ask and ye shall receive.

"Airbnb’s latest top destinations are located at airports where low-cost airlines provide above average levels of capacity. Surely that is more than a coincidence.

The last top ten from Airbnb included Kuala Lumpur, Seville, Budapest, Bali and Hamburg where LCCs provide over 40% of capacity.

Today’s leisure traveller behaves nothing like the average traveller from a decade ago. Imagine booking your own tickets on the internet, creating your own flight connections to reach your final destination, only staying for a few days and even booking into a property owned by a person you’ve never met! Ten years ago that would have been beyond most peoples’ comprehension."

Airbnb and Low-Cost Airlines - Creating New Trends?

A combination of cheap affairs AND AIRBNB is creating new popular travel destinations.

I know this as someone who has traveled EXTENSIVELY myself.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:21 PM

5,405 posts, read 5,655,220 times
Quote:
Yes.

NYC only loses money if the demand to come here and visit goes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City