U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 04:51 AM

32,037 posts, read 32,884,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have been past 57th and 5th several times post election, including last Friday night; it isn't that bad.

Yes, there are barricades (from 57th to about 55th or 54th, cannot recall) on both sides of Fifth, and on the south side of 57th between Fifth and Madison.

Bus stops between 57th and 54th or so have been moved.

There are new traffic signs posted on 57th as you approach from 6th and again from Madison. Didn't stop to look but think there is no south bound turns onto Fifth at 57th from 10am until 10pm.

OTOH know plenty of NYPD and Traffic Enforcement that are loving the OT they are racking up doing security detail around 57th. Lots of people are going to have themselves a very nice Christmas and probably New Year as well. In fact unless things change this will be a regular gig for the next four years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Sounds like if one must go through the area on foot that it is possible to walk on the other side of the street but don't use any above ground vehicular conveyance!
I was there on foot yesterday afternoon on the opposite side of 5th Avenue from the Trump Tower. It was very crowded and I will probably try to avoid walking on Fifth Avenue around that area for the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 06:25 AM

5,498 posts, read 2,864,274 times
^ Weekends are busier than weekday especially now with Christmas and the Rockefeller Center tree. It's not even Fifth, Sixth is busy too. Go back today, a weekday and you will see less people.

It has always been that way.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:39 PM

20,616 posts, read 13,637,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ Weekends are busier than weekday especially now with Christmas and the Rockefeller Center tree. It's not even Fifth, Sixth is busy too. Go back today, a weekday and you will see less people.

It has always been that way.

Much of this nonsense is an after affect of His Orangeness's unexpected win of the POUTS race. By late winter/early spring once things settle down much of the gawkers and whatever will be gone. There likely will be protesters in various numbers until Trump leaves office. Those sums will likely wane or grow depending upon what is going on in politics/the world.

Once the dust settles yes, that area of Fifth avenue will still be on lock down, but not nearly so chaotic.

Do not think however full unlimited motor vehicle access will return to Fifth between 57th and 54th until Trump leaves office, and or perhaps not even then. Obama restored full time secret service protection for former POTUS and their families that lasts rest of their natural lives (POTUS and spouse), so that Trump building could be under "protection" in one form or another long as His Orangeness and family reside.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:43 PM

19,497 posts, read 34,564,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Haha as I read your post I was getting ready to reply with "maybe I could actually retire in 2022 then".

If I can do this just once a month I might be debt free by the end of 2017. If it stays the way it is now, I might be able to get 2 a month even.
Get your money buddy....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-05-2016, 05:50 PM

8,631 posts, read 7,057,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Get your money buddy....
Thank you, I hope it continues for a few more months at least. More than likely they'll figure something out to cut down the OT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or