Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:25 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,654 times

Advertisements

I think people should just exercise more caution and situational awareness when on the platform. I imagine that installing subway platforms throughout the system would be very expensive and a logistical nightmare during construction.

Is the MTA really considering this as a future project (5-10 years) or was this just a PR move after the several incidents of people falling onto the tracks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 04:53 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
If they get funding for it, then of course they would consider it. Will they get funding? I wouldn't bet on it any time in the near future.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Ohhh, another layer of doors in an already insanely overpopulated system. How delightful.
Why not go all the way with the lines that zig and zag between barriers, like in a bank or at the gay pride march at cross streets.
That way each train could spend a half hour in each station loading up...but passengers would be SO safe. <Yes, sarcasm>

Old 11-30-2016, 04:51 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Its long overdue. People have been grabbed, even while alert and pushed onto the tracks. Drunk people fall on a regular basis just like people fainting for medical reasons. Plus the platforms are often jammed and taking a spill is not difficult. Then those who drop things onto the tacks and make the poor decision to jump down. Thr barriers are worth it. Its an awful way to die, and those witnessing it are affected also, along with the conductors as well.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:57 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times
I was ready to be like, completely not needed, but i guess it could be a good thing. A few years I was waiting for the train on Union street in Brooklyn and a woman dropped her phone. she then JUMPED down to get it and could not pull herself back up. She FREAKED but me and another person were able to pull her up by her arms (i felt like a hero that day!). Best part of it? She didn't thank anyone for helping her. She acted like it was just another random day on the subway. I'm sure people called the workers and stuff, but I guess people reacted like some people do. Is something falling on the tracks worth your life? I think about that situation a lot sometimes when I'm waiting for a train. It LOOKS Like it might be easy to pull yourself up, but apparently it's not as easy. Obviously it didn't help matters that she was a very large individual. I can't believe years later I still can't wrap my head around her not even thanking us. The first thing she did was see if her phone was work and then waited for the next train!

Old 11-30-2016, 05:50 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
^ Too bad she didn't win a Darwin award.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:36 AM

So then a $trillion expense to save some dimwit's cell phone???

Old 12-01-2016, 08:34 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
Any idea how many people have been killed in say the last 10 years from falling on the tracks? Seems like this would be an issue where if 2-3 people die in a 10 year period they would say that's not enough to pay for such a addition.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Any idea how many people have been killed in say the last 10 years from falling on the tracks? Seems like this would be an issue where if 2-3 people die in a 10 year period they would say that's not enough to pay for such a addition.

That should be entertained only if there was a differentiation between "falling" and "jumping."

Statz, by your kind of logic any more than a couple people killed in airline accidents should be reason enough to ban air travel. How about getting rid of the automobile: 33,000 USians were killed in 2010 in automobile crashes.

Should we ban windows in high rise buildings because people are defenestrated, by choice or chance? Should we get rid of bridges?

Platform gates in subways is the SINGULARLY worst idea ever floated about the subway system.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:54 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That should be entertained only if there was a differentiation between "falling" and "jumping."

Statz, by your kind of logic any more than a couple people killed in airline accidents should be reason enough to ban air travel. How about getting rid of the automobile: 33,000 USians were killed in 2010 in automobile crashes.

Should we ban windows in high rise buildings because people are defenestrated, by choice or chance? Should we get rid of bridges?

Platform gates in subways is the SINGULARLY worst idea ever floated about the subway system.
Safety enhancements are made to airplanes and cars all the time. Installing platform doors is not the same as banning air travel. It's more comparable to security screening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City