U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,742 times

Advertisements

I really would like some help from people who have been through the NYC luxury housing lottery process.

We are a family of four and are currently paying over $1,800. for a SMALL 2 bedroom in Brooklyn, NY and would like more space but also less rent.

My husband & I are going through a significant change in income. We PREVIOUSLY made a combined income of $110K. However due to a medical issue, my husband will have a very SIGNIFICANT decrease in income.

We will not be able to afford to stay where we are. He will be on workers' compensation disability income (due to an upcoming surgery and also for recovery time about 3-6 months).

Is there anyway that I could apply to the lottery with only MY income (approx. $35-$40k) and exclude my husband's?

That way it would be me, and our 2 boys (a total of 3) on the application (even though my husband would be living with us)?

Do they continue to check on the status of WHO lives in the apartment with you?

If someone could chime in who had to do something similar like leave a spouses' info. off of the application in order to get approved I would really appreciate your input.

I'm sorry if this seems unorthodox to ask - but we're really at a low point right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 10:19 AM

274 posts, read 295,736 times
That may be very difficult since you're married. Are your taxes filed as married/jointly? They will look into that and ask why his income is not on there if you're married. Also, why don't you add his new income since it will be significantly lower? If he won't make that much money due to his disability, you have a better chance of fitting within the income limits of one of the lotteries. Good luck with everything

Old 12-06-2016, 10:53 AM

174 posts, read 126,203 times
Yeah, if you file taxes jointly it will probably be an issue. Of course, unemployment in a marriage can cause discord.. maybe that discord causes you to leave your husband now.... and maybe you guys make up after you get through the process.....

maybe....

Old 12-06-2016, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,341 times
I kind of have the same question, I am not married therefore my application is only my son and I, if my bf was to move in with me after I have an apt would there be any issue ?and should he move in right away with me or later after I have a couple of months, can they kick me out for having someone not on the lease live with me is the question.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:06 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,999,142 times
For the OP: You would need to be legally separated from your husband and also state that the household would consist of just you and your children.

Also, when you hand in your tax returns for the past two years, obviously that income would be over the limit, and you could be disqualified on that regard. Plus, if you are separating, child support would enter into it (depending on how old your children are). I'm not sure how child support would be counted.

In short, unless you are willing to lie, you won't be able to do this.

Also, they make you sign a form saying that if you are found to be making any false statements, you will have to give up the apartment and also can be prosecuted.

Also, not all the buildings in the 80/20 lotteries are luxury (although some are).

lalis23: I have never seen a definite answer to your question, but using common sense, I would wait at least six months if it were me.

Once you move in, you will probably be under a rent-stabilized lease, and your lease will also govern if and when someone can move in.

Under rent stabilization, you are allowed to have one roommate, and if the roommate happens to be a parent, a child (or children?) can move in too.

However, to me, it will look bad if you have someone move in too quickly. Plus, if you happen to have a doorman, you will be unable to "sneak" someone in.

Plus, you may get offered a one-bedroom for you and your child, and that would be tight for three people. Or, you may get lucky and get a two-bedroom.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,341 times
Thank you for your answer, I believe there is a doorman at the apt I applied to as well as the management office in the same building so don't thinking sneaking in will be possible.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:59 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,751,663 times
Arg! The point of the affordable lottery program is NOT so you can move in your deadbeat boyfriends in after you've signed a lease. I am not addressing the original poster, but whenever people ask questions like this you wind up getting a string of people asking the same thing... "can i move my boyfriend in after I've signed a lease!?" well, uh... does he even have a job!?

Old 12-07-2016, 06:06 PM

6,272 posts, read 5,722,615 times
I'm sick of people committing fraud to get affordable housing, while honest, hard working people are stuck barely surviving on market rate rents.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:07 PM

quote:
Wow jumping to conclusions huh? Just because the BF moves in later why is he a deadbeat??

No jumping to conclusions at all. These same questions pop up ALL the time and yeah, it's always deadbeat boyfriends who the ones being moved into these apartments. Often enough to make it a scourge on a really good program.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:10 PM

quote:
I'm sick of people committing fraud to get affordable housing, while honest, hard working people are stuck barely surviving on market rate rents.

thank you! Also? RAT THEM OUT! Call every agency you can until they investigate. Why would someone want to move into an apartment building designed as affordable only to have to live amongst people who want to slowly turn a GREAT PROGRAM (on paper anyway) into another disgusting housing project? RAT.THEM.OUT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City