U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2016, 10:15 AM

51,210 posts, read 50,499,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
That's so cool she was able to travel. Good for her. I can't.now but hope I will be able to travel a lot in the future.
China is always looking for young Americans (actually, young WHITE Americans, not nice but true, and they prefer young men over young women) to teach their children to speak English. You don't have to be a teacher and you don't have to speak Mandarin (my dd does but her bf did not.) There are lots of private schools to which wealthy Chinese people send their kids to learn English, and they want native English speakers. Pay is usually decent, you get a housing allowance, and there are a lot of holidays so you an travel while you are there. My dd went to Korea for a concert, to Shanghai, to Hong Kong, other parts of China, and finally to Thailand while she was living in Beijing.

If you DO by chance have two years of teaching experience, apply to Disney English.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 08:50 PM

2,126 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
China is always looking for young Americans (actually, young WHITE Americans, not nice but true, and they prefer young men over young women) to teach their children to speak English. You don't have to be a teacher and you don't have to speak Mandarin (my dd does but her bf did not.) There are lots of private schools to which wealthy Chinese people send their kids to learn English, and they want native English speakers. Pay is usually decent, you get a housing allowance, and there are a lot of holidays so you an travel while you are there. My dd went to Korea for a concert, to Shanghai, to Hong Kong, other parts of China, and finally to Thailand while she was living in Beijing.

If you DO by chance have two years of teaching experience, apply to Disney English.

Just saw this. Sorry I am just now getting to it. Thanks for the advice. What a world we live in where skin color and not your brain dictates whether or not you will attain employment. I have heard similar stories in South Korea. My thing is I want to have my degree and eventually a master's/phd because having either will open up more doors for me. It used to be that anyone could teach in S.Korea. Now they want I think at least a certificate like teofl or bachelor's in order to secure a visa. Okay good night super tired.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,281,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I saw on a web site that specializes in helping people get instate say that it is hard to get it in N.Y. Your comment makes me feel better...a lot better actually. One thing I do notice from people who have posted is that N.Y. focuses a lot on making sure you have lived in the state for at least a year. If I have to move to N.Y., I will try to get a full-time job and work for at least a year and see if there is a utility bill that I can have put in my name. Obviously I would go about a license and. Vehicle registration change. I would also register to vote in N.Y.
All you need is;
1 year residency
Bank Account with NY address (so that you can show statements for a year's duration)
NY Driver license

You'll get approved.

There's a ton of fraud going on as it is and even most of the fraudsters get approved.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:41 AM

2,126 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
All you need is;
1 year residency
Bank Account with NY address (so that you can show statements for a year's duration)
NY Driver license

You'll get approved.

There's a ton of fraud going on as it is and even most of the fraudsters get approved.

Well getting in-state there certainly seems easier than getting it here in Georgia. I wonder why that web site labeled New York as difficult. If I continue to get denied next year, I will definitely save up for a.move to New York. Truth be told, the thought of New York excites me because my social life was so much better in New York. I found it so.much easier to make friends there than here in Georgia. I would definitely have to prepare myself mentally though for the cold and smaller spaces not to mention having to use a laundromat. Lol. But that's life. Everything is give and take. Having a better social life to me right now along with going to school are top priorities in my life. Sorry for typos. Using phone and rushing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or