Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:18 PM

5 posts, read 13,554 times

Advertisements

Hi all- I posted here a few months ago when my husband and I began our search for buying a 2 BR in Riverdale. We have now done some more research and would love some advice on specific parts of Riverdale and specific apt buildings that might work for us. We're going to start a family soon, so our main draw to Riverdale is that both our families are very close (a 15 min drive north to Yonkers and a 15 min drive west to North Jersey), so we've pretty much narrowed our search to Southern Riverdale, since we both work in Manhattan and will most likely be taking an express bus to work every day. We are looking to purchase either a condo or co-op for $200-300K in a nice, safe area.

I have read many posts about how tough commuting is from Riverdale to parts of Manhattan, but we both work on the West Side so I'm hoping it's manageable. I'm specifically in the W. 80's and my husband is in the W. 20's. We're both close to the 1 train but have heard the express bus is easier from Riverdale.

Can anyone give some advice on decent buildings/addresses that are near the express bus stops in Riverdale (anywhere south of 239 all the way to Spuyten Duyvil)? It doesn't necessarily have to be a doorman/elevator building, we are mainly concerned about being in a nice area. Any advice would be great!

(As for other neighborhoods of the Bronx or other boroughs, for now we really have narrowed our search to Riverdale so no need to try to talk up other neighborhoods or trash Riverdale in this thread please, thanks!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 06:01 PM

5 posts, read 13,554 times
Wanted to add we're also considering Spuyten Duyvil neighborhood...

Old 01-26-2014, 06:13 PM

5,044 posts, read 4,923,450 times
There are more RE agents who are hungry of serious buyers. Maybe that is a better way to approach your dream.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:06 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,329,475 times
For that price range in Riverdale, you are going to be looking at co-ops, since condos are not as common and have a higher price point. You could find a building on Kappock, which is an express bus route, and convenient to some shops/services, as well as Johnson and Palisade in South Riverdale/Spuyten Duyvil. If you want to be very close to shops and such, but a bit further, a couple of blocks, from the express buses, I would look around Johnson & 235th, Arlington, Netherland, Cambridge, Oxford, etc. Henry Hudson Parkway and upper Riverdale Avenue are also on the BxM2 route, so there would be options in those areas as well, though you wanted to stay below 239th, which I can understand to minimize the commute.

I would look at StreetEasy.com to see what listings are available in various buildings, since it can help to gauge expectations with listings that have plans attached. Johnson/Palisade from Kappock has some buildings that have water views, and not all are terribly expensive. There is a family building right by the Metro-North station, a red brick building, but you would be a couple of blocks from the express bus on Kappock, and Riverdale has many hills. 555 Kappock, River Point Towers, is a family building that would likely have 2BRs in range, and is convenient to the bus. Similarly, there are buildings in the 600 block of Kappock, The Presidential, Congressional, etc. that are well run, and would be within your preferred price range. You could find something in The Winston Churchill around $300k, possibly, but the building has a higher level of services, so the maintenance and price might be slightly higher. Another building that comes to mind as being in range, well, development, is Hudson Manor Terrace which is west of the HH Parkway (express bus) between 237th and 239th.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-26-2014, 08:15 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,681,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattantothebronx View Post
Hi all- I posted here a few months ago when my husband and I began our search for buying a 2 BR in Riverdale. We have now done some more research and would love some advice on specific parts of Riverdale and specific apt buildings that might work for us. We're going to start a family soon, so our main draw to Riverdale is that both our families are very close (a 15 min drive north to Yonkers and a 15 min drive west to North Jersey), so we've pretty much narrowed our search to Southern Riverdale, since we both work in Manhattan and will most likely be taking an express bus to work every day. We are looking to purchase either a condo or co-op for $200-300K in a nice, safe area.

I have read many posts about how tough commuting is from Riverdale to parts of Manhattan, but we both work on the West Side so I'm hoping it's manageable. I'm specifically in the W. 80's and my husband is in the W. 20's. We're both close to the 1 train but have heard the express bus is easier from Riverdale.

Can anyone give some advice on decent buildings/addresses that are near the express bus stops in Riverdale (anywhere south of 239 all the way to Spuyten Duyvil)? It doesn't necessarily have to be a doorman/elevator building, we are mainly concerned about being in a nice area. Any advice would be great!

(As for other neighborhoods of the Bronx or other boroughs, for now we really have narrowed our search to Riverdale so no need to try to talk up other neighborhoods or trash Riverdale in this thread please, thanks!)
I personally dealt with Trebach and Robert Hill real estate offices. They were great and know the area really well. They have agents who went to school in Riverdale and ended up staying there. I would buy the Riverdale Press. They have a huge Real Estate section there. Blue Building has tremendous views but really high common charges. Good Luck.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:08 PM

62 posts, read 81,078 times
Do you have a car? Spuyten Duyvil lacks the services that the Central Riverdale 235th St/Johnson Ave area has. Keep in mind that there are several buildings in Riverdale that are a short (5 minute) walk to the #1 train.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISONY View Post
Do you have a car? Spuyten Duyvil lacks the services that the Central Riverdale 235th St/Johnson Ave area has. Keep in mind that there are several buildings in Riverdale that are a short (5 minute) walk to the #1 train.
Very true but each area offers something different. For instance West of the Pkwy with an apt facing west, River Views with the Pallisades.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 AM

198 posts, read 251,740 times
I live at 3901 Independence there is a 2 bedroom + 2 bath for sale on my floor -- we like the building ... close to parks express buses etc ... walkable to restaurants and wave hill
I think they were asking around 279

Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroz View Post
I live at 3901 Independence there is a 2 bedroom + 2 bath for sale on my floor -- we like the building ... close to parks express buses etc ... walkable to restaurants and wave hill
I think they were asking around 279
Bit of a hike to restaurant? 239th and Independence? It's a nice building though.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
I have friends atop 5800 Arlington, "Skyview," I believe the complex is called, and the views are among most spectacular I have ever seen (sometimes I think I can see Southhampton ) but the trek via PATH, (I used to live in Jersey City.) long subeay ride, bus and then a climb up Everest is really a chore.
A car is de rigeur.

The first time the bus dropped me off mid-Winter I thought the place needed a ski-lift from the bus stop.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-07-2014 at 07:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City