Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 04:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
In case you haven't heard, NYC has decided it wants to be a sanctuary city, welcoming all immigrants, legal and illegal. If you are going to open your city up to so many people, then you are going to need to make room for them.
Again the city most likely WON'T enforce the illegal apartment law. If they did that they would wipe out a significant sector of service sector jobs.

Of course the sanctuary city stuff is BS, and Trump has sworn to cut federal funding to sanctuary cities. The city council says this could be a loss of 10 billion dollars. Now that could lead to more homeless as people get cut off welfare. If Trump follows through on his pledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 06:50 AM

4,192 posts, read 4,075,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He should have put his mother in the nursing home. Or moved in with her and perhaps had a day nurse come in there while he worked. Different states vary, but elderly people can transfer assets over to their children in advance (some states have a time waiting period).

They can't get the house for FREE, as when someone dies the property has to be probated, but that house is rightfully this man's.

He doesn't need to take them to court if they don't have the proper immigration status. Calling ICE will do just as good.
The son moved his mother to his home a few months ago but they refuse to leave. In fact the Jamaican caregiver also moved out but the people she brought in are still here. At least some of them are on welfare as I found a welfare receipt in my yard once. I have nothing against Jamaicans and only mentioned it because she's apparently poor and doesn't speak much English. I'd have the same issue with any welfare people moving in next door to housing they couldn't otherwise afford. The people who moved in with her are a mixture of white, black, Indian/Guyanese, and Hispanic. They are essentially squatting in the home without the owner's permission but can't be evicted without going to court. I don't know their legal status but I assume they are in the country legally.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:58 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,771,520 times
They should really start in all these doorman buildings in manhattan that have pressurize walls with roommate shares. Most are illegal.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:59 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,569,273 times
Its getting to the point where even the middle class are being forced into poorer crime ridden neighborhoods because they can't afford to pay these astronomical rents along with all their other living expenses.

I really can't fathom why anyone would want to live in this city any longer.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Its getting to the point where even the middle class are being forced into poorer crime ridden neighborhoods because they can't afford to pay these astronomical rents along with all their other living expenses.

Because it is the job engine for the Northeast?

Old 12-13-2016, 01:02 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,569,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
What good is it if you're working just for the privilege of living here?

Old 12-13-2016, 03:00 PM

738 posts, read 584,951 times
Quote:
Any apartment/room has to be better than sleeping on the street.

Yeah, no kidding. I'm in a homeless shelter, working this crappy part time job, partly because of unstable living situations.

Time was, I could have rented a room in a SRO hotel. They don't exist anymore.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post

Real middle class people in metro NYC either live in the suburbs in houses or they own co-ops or condos. Renting long term is for poor people. And paying those astronomical rents ENSURES a family stays POOR as they won't be able to save or invest properly.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Most of the young people arrive work or study for a few years to jump start their careers, and then they split and move elsewhere (especially Manhattan) to be placed by other young people. Manhattan is basically a high end dorm is another poster put it.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:48 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,214,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Real middle class people in metro NYC either live in the suburbs in houses or they own co-ops or condos. Renting long term is for poor people. And paying those astronomical rents ENSURES a family stays POOR as they won't be able to save or invest properly.
You make it sound like poor people have other options other than renting, and even renting is challenging now. If you are poor, you are not buying property. I mean really, a lot of the things you say are like...duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City