Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 02:02 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

It's funny because nothing will be done.

City cracking down on illegal apartments | SILive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 02:33 AM

60 posts, read 61,259 times
Great. Rents are going up. Supply and demand.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:33 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
This will hurt rather than help those looking for housing. In the end, what should be done is enforce occupancy codes. As long as 5 Immigrants/5 hipsters can pack a one bedroom landlords will continue to charge accordingly.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:14 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
My elderly neighbor needed a full time caregiver and her son hired a Jamaican woman to live with her. The Jamaican woman started moving in her own family and their friends. Now the son can't evict them without going to court even though there is no lease. I don't know how many people are living there but I see different people coming and going. At one time I think I saw about 15 in this one family home.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:35 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
My elderly neighbor needed a full time caregiver and her son hired a Jamaican woman to live with her. The Jamaican woman started moving in her own family and their friends. Now the son can't evict them without going to court even though there is no lease. I don't know how many people are living there but I see different people coming and going. At one time I think I saw about 15 in this one family home.
He better take them to court. They're banking on the woman dying and getting the house for free.
Welcome to the lawless Caribbean.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:11 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
This will hurt rather than help those looking for housing. In the end, what should be done is enforce occupancy codes. As long as 5 Immigrants/5 hipsters can pack a one bedroom landlords will continue to charge accordingly.

It isn't just about housing; you have no idea what damage to a street/area illegal apartments can do.

Out on Staten Island this is a huge issue. You have streets supposedly full of one or maybe two family homes where almost the entire block is doing the illegal apartment thing. Schools and other services are stressed because officially these people aren't supposed to be living in the area. Parking becomes an issue because you now have ten or more people living on a street that again aren't supposed to be there that have at least one car.

Everyone likes to point the finger at Port Richmond blaming the "illegals" or Latino/Hispanic population, but illegal apartments are all over Staten Island including a large number on South Shore.

For many homeowners this extra source of cash income is not in full or part on their taxes. It can also create issues if you are the poor sap who purchases one of these properties without due diligence. Places have five, ten or more open DOB and other issues logged against the property.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
He better take them to court. They're banking on the woman dying and getting the house for free.
He should have put his mother in the nursing home. Or moved in with her and perhaps had a day nurse come in there while he worked. Different states vary, but elderly people can transfer assets over to their children in advance (some states have a time waiting period).

They can't get the house for FREE, as when someone dies the property has to be probated, but that house is rightfully this man's.

He doesn't need to take them to court if they don't have the proper immigration status. Calling ICE will do just as good.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:42 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
should you be judging the entire Caribbean based off of one person?

Old 12-11-2016, 11:45 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Why do you put so much focus on this person being Jamaican? Is ther any research that indicates most of the illegal apartments have Jamaicans in them?

Old 12-12-2016, 01:52 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
should you be judging the entire Caribbean based off of one person?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City