U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-11-2016, 04:03 AM
 
3,333 posts, read 3,284,010 times
Reputation: 2834

Advertisements

This is one reason. Read the entire article. It's a great troll piece by the NYT and it's a great reason to hate transplants.

There's so much transplant-speak to discuss in this article.


Quote:
Roommates Divide and Conquer With Temporary Walls
When four young professionals share a one-bedroom, one-bath apartment, a strategy for the morning routine is a necessity.

Katherine Neal, who works in sales, and Annie Jackson, who works in public relations, take the first shifts in the bathroom. Ms. Neal gets in there at 6:45 a.m. and has 15 minutes before it’s Ms. Jackson’s turn. By the time Ms. Jackson finishes up, their male roommates, Michael Morgan, who works in advertising, and Andrew Bell, also in sales, are back from the gym in the building.

“It’s like living in a dorm,” Ms. Jackson, 26, said of her financial district rental. And that goes beyond the coed bathroom. Ms. Jackson and Ms. Neal sleep in twin beds in the bedroom, and share a vanity and a bench when they get ready in the morning, to avoid hogging the bathroom.

For the male roommates, the group installed a T-shaped wall in the living room, dividing it into two bedrooms, leaving space for a kitchen table in a common area. Mr. Morgan and Mr. Bell have hardly any privacy; building regulations require the bedroom walls to stop about two feet shy of the ceiling. “You can hear everything,” Ms. Jackson said.
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage


While they live in dormlike conditions, Ms. Jackson and her roommates are not in college anymore. They are gainfully employed 20-somethings, trying their hardest to make living in New York City affordable. Each pays under $1,000 a month, toward a total rent of $3,750.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/re...ates.html?_r=0
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2016, 04:33 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,408 posts, read 2,269,552 times
Reputation: 4870
You started another thread about the same subject before: "When Landlords Need to Keep Luxury Unit Rents High They Build a Wall"

The problem is not transplants. The problem is the city is not building enough housing and what is being built is way too expensive for anyone except for the top 5%.

The city, or any city for that matter, is going to have people moving in. That's what a healthy, growing city is. The key is making room for the growth, otherwise the newcomers with more money and the higher paying jobs are going to displace the ones here that have less money and can't afford the higher prices.

It's that simple. Hating transplants won't help anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2016, 04:40 AM
 
3,333 posts, read 3,284,010 times
Reputation: 2834
The NYT just keeps writing these great troll pieces.

Did you even read the article? I never said transplants were the problem. Just that the transplants in this piece are total asshats.

Read the article. It's hilarious.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2016, 04:43 AM
 
Location: Bronx
14,812 posts, read 17,417,710 times
Reputation: 7515
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
This is one reason. Read the entire article. It's a great troll piece by the NYT and it's a great reason to hate transplants.

There's so much transplant-speak to discuss in this article.




http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/09/re...ates.html?_r=0
No one can't hate the Transplants on these ones. They are just trying to get by and do more by living in appealing area. I while having less space and privacy. The real problems here are landlords for making rents not so affordable, however being an landlord in nyc is an expensive ordeal. Two tranplants do not live in far flung neighborhoods. I. Have a coworker from California. I told him, if I was from California and I moved to nyc. I would have to live in an hip area like Williamsburg. You won't be cool living in a Jamaica Queens.

The best way for rents to come down is probably world war 3 were transplants fear moving to NYC due to concerns of Chinese or Russian warheads destroying everything centered in the. Manhattan ground zero.

Two. Let employers create job offices near college campuses so that tranplants won't move to nyc. Rents will drop down.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2016, 04:46 AM
 
3,333 posts, read 3,284,010 times
Reputation: 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
No one can't hate the Transplants on these ones. They are just trying to get by and do more by living in appealing area. I while having less space and privacy. The real problems here are landlords for making rents not so affordable, however being an landlord in nyc is an expensive ordeal. Two tranplants do not live in far flung neighborhoods. I. Have a coworker from California. I told him, if I was from California and I moved to nyc. I would have to live in an hip area like Williamsburg. You won't be cool living in a Jamaica Queens.

The best way for rents to come down is probably world war 3 were transplants fear moving to NYC due to concerns of Chinese or Russian warheads destroying everything centered in the. Manhattan ground zero.

Two. Let employers create job offices near college campuses so that tranplants won't move to nyc. Rents will drop down.
How can you blame the landlords? These fools do this to themselves. This is not "just trying to get by" behavior. These are asshats who don't want to let go of the college lifestyle.

Call a spade a spade. They're morons.

Compare what the general outlook is on immigrants who live multiple families to a unit to these asshats.
Don't get caught up in the white hype.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2016, 04:48 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
2,285 posts, read 1,275,630 times
Reputation: 1049
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
The NYT just keeps writing these great troll pieces.

Did you even read the article? I never said transplants were the problem. Just that the transplants in this piece are total asshats.

Read the article. It's hilarious.
Who are you saying is the problem for high rents?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2016, 04:49 AM
 
3,333 posts, read 3,284,010 times
Reputation: 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Who are you saying is the problem for high rents?
There is no one single problem for high rents but this is certainly part of the equation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2016, 04:57 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,556,673 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
No one can't hate the Transplants on these ones. They are just trying to get by and do more by living in appealing area. I while having less space and privacy. The real problems here are landlords for making rents not so affordable, however being an landlord in nyc is an expensive ordeal. Two tranplants do not live in far flung neighborhoods. I. Have a coworker from California. I told him, if I was from California and I moved to nyc. I would have to live in an hip area like Williamsburg. You won't be cool living in a Jamaica Queens.

The best way for rents to come down is probably world war 3 were transplants fear moving to NYC due to concerns of Chinese or Russian warheads destroying everything centered in the. Manhattan ground zero.

Two. Let employers create job offices near college campuses so that tranplants won't move to nyc. Rents will drop down.
Is Williamsburg even "hip" anymore?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2016, 04:59 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
2,285 posts, read 1,275,630 times
Reputation: 1049
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
There is no one single problem for high rents but this is certainly part of the equation.
I don't really take any issue with this. Not in the business of telling people how they should live their lives. These people are choosing to live in small apartments in exchange for a prime location. Their choice.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2016, 05:01 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,556,673 times
Reputation: 5949
I think two of the reasons rents are so high are

1. Such a high acceptance of living with roommates

2. People getting priced out of expensive neighborhoods overpaying in formerly less expensive neighborhoods.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top