U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2016, 08:33 AM

275 posts, read 775,893 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

Has anyone here had an "uncontested divorce" within the last 3-5 years? I really need your help. My wife and I have been on the brink of separation and divorce countless times during our relationship. This time it's real though. I read that since we have no kids, no property, and no savings together, it should be easy to do this without a lawyer. The forms are a little confusing though.

Furthermore, everyone's step-by-step process online seems to have a different 1st Step.

I really need help either here or via PM. I don't want to be tricked/pulled backed into a relationship just because time has passed and we still didn't get the official divorce.

I would take a trip away from the city to get my mind away from it all, but I have an autonomic disorder and bad anxiety that is keeping me put for now.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 08:44 AM

6,838 posts, read 4,432,081 times
https://www.nycourts.gov/divorce/pdf...structions.pdf

http://www.divorcewriter.com/Start_t...Bj4xoCmbbw_wcB

Old 12-11-2016, 09:25 AM

Thanks for your reply. I will check out the divorce writer site. I know the NY Courts is the official site, but it was a little overwhelming and confusing when I looked at it last.

I emailed some people from divorce mediation yesterday, and I'm waiting for them to get back to me. I don't really think we need mediating though, since we are splitting amicably. Maybe they can help me fill out forms though.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:57 AM

20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
Sorry for the stress, Mero.
One point comes to mind. From the HBO series, DIVORCE, the couple starts as you do, with mediation, but then he goes and hires a shark for a lawyer so naturally she must too and the battle begins.

Perhaps if you both contract NOT to seek legal representation in the Divorce, it might be smoother sailing with no surprises.

(Are your incomes similar? Do you have an affordable apartment?)

Old 12-11-2016, 10:07 AM

We will try without mediation first. This year I barely worked due to Health Issues, and she just started working Aug. 30 of this year. We both make about the same. We don't really have money to hire shark lawyers (not even guppies).

Old 12-11-2016, 10:22 AM

Just checked out DivorceWriter. I need to find reviews on it to make sure it isn't a scam. It looks too good/easy to be true.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:02 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,663,872 times
A friend of mine is a lawyer and also a therapist, and she has combined both into a career as a divorce mediator. I would be inclined to go that route even if you think you have no assets. As a previous poster raised, things like an affordable apartment or a future pension are assets. You want to make sure you're not signing away anything inadvertently.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:19 PM

895 posts, read 917,602 times
If there are no assets to dispute and you both agree, one of you just has to serve the other with divorce papers and just pay the 400 court fees, you can even split that down the middle and get on with it. You may need a lawyer to dispute child custody but even than that is settled outside of divorce court.

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 12-12-2016 at 01:28 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
If there are no assets to dispute and you both agree, one of you just has to serve the other with divorce papers and just pay the 400 court fees, you can even split that down the middle and get on with it. You may need a lawyer to dispute child custody but even than that is settled outside of divorce court.
That is what I'm finding out. It seems easy so far, now I just need her to sign the Affidavit of the Defendant. I'll try to do it all myself right now. Thanks for the help everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or