U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,036 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Maspeth I'm going on 3 years now living about an hour south of Albany and rail commuting from Hudson. I can see pre-internet that it would be really radical and scary, but most time off hours I'm either on the web doing pretty much the same thing I did back home or trying out new recreation like all the apple picking and hiking and so on, and the only really big drag I've noticed is no or terrible takeout food if I don't feel like cooking. I go to the city on the weekends still to be with friends/family since its not insurmountably far away. During the week I haven't really made ties upstate yet and get by with socializing at work, but thinking of doing a college class at night or something to meet people. I'm trying to either transfer to a position telecommuting a day or two a week or a similar job in Albany, but even if I didn't manage it I'm OK with the commute. Just wondering if anyone else ever tried it or knows something I don't? I feel especially like if the autopilot cars come about that it would be really doable.

The response I usually get back home about moving upstate is something tongue in cheek like this: Ask A Native New Yorker: Should I Move Upstate?: Gothamist but it hasn't been my experience so far so was just looking for other perspectives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 10:53 AM

4,435 posts, read 2,277,144 times
NY is a high tax (income, property, business) state and isn't as business friendly as other states. It has been bleeding jobs to other states / countries for many decades now. So basically, few jobs, high taxes and lousy weather and you've got what we are seeing now.

NJ is very similar but it's got NYC next door to buttress against any large population loss so you're not seeing a decline like you are seeing in Upstate NY.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:58 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,867,715 times
I love living in a big city. So Upstate wouldn't be for me. If that kind of living was something I were after, I'd definitely do it in another state.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:36 AM

15,236 posts, read 23,780,887 times
upstate is NOT for me. way to much snow.
I like brooklyn city life. id never live upstate

Old 12-11-2016, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
NY is a high tax (income, property, business) state and isn't as business friendly as other states. It has been bleeding jobs to other states / countries for many decades now. So basically, few jobs, high taxes and lousy weather and you've got what we are seeing now.

NJ is very similar but it's got NYC next door to buttress against any large population loss so you're not seeing a decline like you are seeing in Upstate NY.
Thanks for reply - When I made my move I was really considering starting fresh in the south since like you mentioned the lack of taxes and better weather... Ultimately, though, I feel like upstate was a better choice because I could still reasonably commute to New York if I was close to the Thruway or 17 and wouldn't need to look for another job and start from entry level all over again with lowball FL salaries... I guess my question is more directed towards those who still are or want to be 'buttressed' to the NY metro but can't afford it or even NJ/LI (that was my situation). Side note: I actually contend the point on property tax, though, because its really low in the rural parts of upstate outside the lower Hudson valley. Its high in the upstate municipalities (buffalo, Albany, etc) but the small towns, etc. are pretty reasonable.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:50 AM

4,911 posts, read 6,825,676 times
When the time is right, I'll be making the move and never looking back.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:04 PM

52,705 posts, read 75,579,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

This will depend on the area and coordinating a person's skills with the industries in that area. For instance, healthcare and higher education industries are important and pretty big in Upstate areas. There is a tech sector in the Albany area. Manufacturing is actually growing in the Plattsburgh area. Watertown has the military sector. There is an insurance/risk management sector in Central NY(Syracuse and Utica-Rome). Networking would be key as well. So, it may depend on various factors.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustShovelIt View Post
Thanks for reply - When I made my move I was really considering starting fresh in the south since like you mentioned the lack of taxes and better weather... Ultimately, though, I feel like upstate was a better choice because I could still reasonably commute to New York if I was close to the Thruway or 17 and wouldn't need to look for another job and start from entry level all over again with lowball FL salaries... I guess my question is more directed towards those who still are or want to be 'buttressed' to the NY metro but can't afford it or even NJ/LI (that was my situation). Side note: I actually contend the point on property tax, though, because its really low in the rural parts of upstate outside the lower Hudson valley. Its high in the upstate municipalities (buffalo, Albany, etc) but the small towns, etc. are pretty reasonable.
Because the cheap, affordable areas are too far away.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This will depend on the area and coordinating a person's skills with the industries in that area. For instance, healthcare and higher education industries are important and pretty big in Upstate areas. There is a tech sector in the Albany area. Manufacturing is actually growing in the Plattsburgh area. Watertown has the military sector. There is an insurance/risk management sector in Central NY(Syracuse and Utica-Rome). So, it may depend on various factors.
Of course there's going to be sectors. Every place, even broke ones have something going on. No place is completely devoid of businesses.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:14 PM

10,335 posts, read 7,251,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustShovelIt View Post
I grew up in Maspeth I'm going on 3 years now living about an hour south of Albany and rail commuting from Hudson. I can see pre-internet that it would be really radical and scary, but most time off hours I'm either on the web doing pretty much the same thing I did back home or trying out new recreation like all the apple picking and hiking and so on, and the only really big drag I've noticed is no or terrible takeout food if I don't feel like cooking. I go to the city on the weekends still to be with friends/family since its not insurmountably far away. During the week I haven't really made ties upstate yet and get by with socializing at work, but thinking of doing a college class at night or something to meet people. I'm trying to either transfer to a position telecommuting a day or two a week or a similar job in Albany, but even if I didn't manage it I'm OK with the commute. Just wondering if anyone else ever tried it or knows something I don't? I feel especially like if the autopilot cars come about that it would be really doable.

The response I usually get back home about moving upstate is something tongue in cheek like this: Ask A Native New Yorker: Should I Move Upstate?: Gothamist but it hasn't been my experience so far so was just looking for other perspectives?

Boring, Too cold, too far from major cities and point of interested. NYC you close to CT, NJ, Philly. Everything Upstate NY is more spread out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City