Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 11:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,073 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I will be moving to NYC. Looking to rent a 1br apartment. Budget is under $3500. Would like to ideally live somewhere from UES to Kips Bay for proximity to jobs.

We have a 60lb golden retriever who is used to city living. Can have current landlord/vet verify behavior (doesn't bark, very friendly, elevator manors, well trained etc.) Willing to pay pet deposit/pet rent if needed.

Will we be able to find a place? Anyone had success renting in these areas with a large dog or know of buildings that are friendly to larger dog breeds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 05:52 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
It might be just a little harder for you and there may be pet rent but I think most people, including landlords if you want to call them people, know that there is no sweeter dog breed than a golden retriever.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:44 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Not in my backyard, buddy!

Old 10-25-2016, 06:48 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Budget wise, wont be an issue at all for the areas you mentioned. The dog on the other hand will limit your options. If working with real estate agents make sure to bring up the dog breed/weight right away.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:55 AM

483 posts, read 842,261 times
As others have said, you will have fewer options but with your budget and relative flexibility on location you shouldn't have too much trouble. Just be realistic in that it will be a pain in the ass, but stick with it.

I also find that condo buildings where you rent from the owner are more often large dog friendly, albeit generally pricier and more annoying from an application perspective. I found Streeteasy to be good for those sorts of buildings.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:18 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times
Also be aware that pet-friendly doesn't always mean dog friendly, and just because you see a dog in an apartment building means the apartment still allows dogs. Many have in recent years passed by-laws or condo rules on pets. For some reason 2010ish was a time to pass pet laws.

You might have some success and also find a place within your budget at one of the Archstone buildings in the area which definitely allow dogs and even larger breeds.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:25 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
My suggestion is to rent from a pet friendly landlord with a house or an apartment within a house that has a fenced back yard that the dog can use somewhere in Queens. The commute to work may be a bit longer, but your dog will be much happier than being cooped up in a small apartment with hostile neighbors within and outside your apartment building and learning to "curb" its excretions.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:41 AM

551 posts, read 1,576,004 times
People who do not live in Manhattan always have advice about why you should not live in Manhattan with a dog. Many dog breeds thrive in urban areas. And, responsible dog owners that walk the dogs frequently and bring them to dog parks regularly give the dogs (and their owners) far more exercise and socialization than they would get enclosed in a fenced yard in suburbia (or an outer borough).

Many of the apartment search sites (e.g., streeteasy) have a "pet friendly" search option. Certain of the larger landlords are pet friendly, and certain very much not. You will probably have to pay a larger deposit, and some may impose a modest fee. see here Big dogs are not always a big problem in NYC--here's how to look (and where)

Old 10-26-2016, 06:47 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Your link is from 2012 and there have been some changes since then in a lot of buildings. I deal with landlords/management companies all day long in manhattan. Its not as easy anymore with dogs over 25/30lbs.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 5,073 times
Thank you all for the advice. I am hesitant to look outside the area I specified as I really can't have more than a 20 minute commute to midtown.

My dog does very well in a small apartment and gets plenty of excercise. He's used to urban living and no one would even know he was there during the day he's that quiet.

I am less concerned with him and more concerned with the lack of large dog friendly landlords and management companies. I've used StreetEasy and found places but I have a feeling once I start calling when we are ready to move I am going to get a lot of "we only take 10lb dogs and under". Unfortunately if they met my dog they'd realize everyone in the apartment building is better off with a 60lb Golden who makes no noise and sleeps 18 hours a day than a spaz purse dog that barks incessantly lol

I was hoping some of the larger management companies might cater to individuals with large dogs and be more open to renting to them. I will check the Archstone buildings.

How far out before the move should I start calling? Do you think I should use an agent and not try and go at the search on my own? I am wondering if they'll be able to narrow down the buildings better and also communicate to the landlords some info about my dog that might help my case. Hate the pay the absurd fees they charge but I guess that's something to get used to in NYC.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City