U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2016, 09:00 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Bernie won states like Michigan that went to Trump in the end.

Yes some Bernie supporters voted Trump. I voted for Bernie, and though I did not vote for Trump, I'm actually liking him so far.
Not for nothing but it seems like you couldn't come to terms with Clinton's loss, so you're doing the "if you can't beat them join them thing". I'm pretty sure you're left leaning and he's appointing nothing but hardcore right wingers. In addition to Trump being super petty and unpresidential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Why do you "like" trump, he's the complete opposite of Bernie. Bernie would never put a EXxon CEO in his cabinet or Linda McMahon or the multiple other billionaires. Billionaires are just as detached as many politicians to an average persons life. Bad enough they have made a living off squeezing as many dollars as they can from the average person.

As a Bernie supporter, I don't get how any Bernie voter would like what trump is doing and stands for. they are polar opposites on a politics level as well as persona
Thank you!!!

They have pretty much nothing in common except being populists. But even then it's different because Bernie is a populist for everyone but rich people, and Trump is a populist for hardcore right wingers.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I really doubt that Bernie voters voted for Trump. (I voted for Bernie)
They are like the antithesis of each other!
I agree. Some Bernie supporters may have abstained from voting, voted for Jill Stein, or wrote in Bernie, however I doubt many actual Bernie supporters actually voted for Trump. Not to mention, Bernie obviously despises Trump.

Old 12-18-2016, 09:41 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,792,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
. Not to mention, Bernie obviously despises Trump.
I should hope so!

Old 12-18-2016, 10:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Quote:
Not for nothing but it seems like you couldn't come to terms with Clinton's loss, so you're doing the "if you can't beat them join them thing". I'm pretty sure you're left leaning and he's appointing nothing but hardcore right wingers. In addition to Trump being super petty and unpresidential.
Clinton represented 1/3 of Americans who are college educated. Plenty of Ivy leaguers, wall streeters, K street policy makers out in DC, tech guys in SF and all other highly educated professionals supported Clinton. As for me? I did not support Hillary one bit. Most Americans did not bother to vote. This election was one of the lowest turnouts on record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Why do you "like" trump, he's the complete opposite of Bernie. Bernie would never put a EXxon CEO in his cabinet or Linda McMahon or the multiple other billionaires. Billionaires are just as detached as many politicians to an average persons life. Bad enough they have made a living off squeezing as many dollars as they can from the average person.

As a Bernie supporter, I don't get how any Bernie voter would like what trump is doing and stands for. they are polar opposites on a politics level as well as persona
Watch this video. Trump voters on this platform admitted that they would have voted for Bernie if he was on the ballot vs Trump. Watch this town hall meeting of Bernie Sanders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOIBwljkI_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkSGcBtvhnw

Quote:
I agree. Some Bernie supporters may have abstained from voting, voted for Jill Stein, or wrote in Bernie, however I doubt many actual Bernie supporters actually voted for Trump. Not to mention, Bernie obviously despises Trump.
I was a Bernie supporter to the core. I went to his rallies and even participated in his rallies. I could not vote for Hillary. If I had a chance to vote again, I would vote for Trump over Hillary any day. Even though I'm sad to see Trump win, I'm happy to see Hillary loose. The swing states like Ohio, Michigan and stuff went to Trump instead of Hillary. Why? Because Bernie was not on the ballot. Bernie and Trump shared the same populist message even though they were opposite sides of the political spectrum. Neoliberal policies created by Ronald Reagan worked only in the 1980s and the 1990s during Clinton. These policies don't work anymore and caused run away affect during the Bush and Obama years.

As for me? It was Bernie or bust. I do not support liberal politics. I'm a Populist and proud of it. Liberals have become really upset with me when we discuss politics. Remember Liberals and Populist do not see eye to eye.

Even De Blasio said that Bernie would have won due to his message.

Bill de Blasio Says Bernie Sanders' Message 'Would Have Won The Election'

What I have learned from this election is the deep division in the country. Even though Republicans won the elections big time. Republicans are still divided over Trump. The wealthy Republicans and elite democrats are one of the same. Democrats are also divided between populist/progressive vs mainline centrist liberals such as Hillary, or Chuck Schumer. New political parties need to be formed. Their is a rift between regions in this country. Past twenty years, NYC, DC, SF, Boston benefited greatly from neoliberalism while a good portion of the country slowly rotted. Also big elite cities like NYC avoided the real estate mess. Take a look at Albany in upstate and you will see what I mean. A rift amongst educated and non educated creating superiority complexes. This is very evident here in NYC and other elite cities. Right now this country is ripe for the 3rd American revolution. Why do I say 3rd? The US civil war was the 2nd American Revolution where rebels attacked Fort Sumter in the name of "States Rights". The 3rd American Revolution will lead to the 2nd American revolution. With all these mass shootings, and cops getting killed, people getting blown up in this country. Blood must spill in order to have any pragmatic politically or economically.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:55 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Clinton represented 1/3 of Americans who are college educated. Plenty of Ivy leaguers, wall streeters, K street policy makers out in DC, tech guys in SF and all other highly educated professionals supported Clinton. As for me? I did not support Hillary one bit. Most Americans did not bother to vote. This election was one of the lowest turnouts on record.

Bill de Blasio Says Bernie Sanders' Message 'Would Have Won The Election'

What I have learned from this election is the deep division in the country. Even though Republicans won the elections big time. Republicans are still divided over Trump. The wealthy Republicans and elite democrats are one of the same. Democrats are also divided between populist/progressive vs mainline centrist liberals such as Hillary, or Chuck Schumer. New political parties need to be formed. Their is a rift between regions in this country. Past twenty years, NYC, DC, SF, Boston benefited greatly from neoliberalism while a good portion of the country slowly rotted. Also big elite cities like NYC avoided the real estate mess. Take a look at Albany in upstate and you will see what I mean. A rift amongst educated and non educated creating superiority complexes. This is very evident here in NYC and other elite cities. Right now this country is ripe for the 3rd American revolution. Why do I say 3rd? The US civil war was the 2nd American Revolution where rebels attacked Fort Sumter in the name of "States Rights". The 3rd American Revolution will lead to the 2nd American revolution. With all these mass shootings, and cops getting killed, people getting blown up in this country. Blood must spill in order to have any pragmatic politically or economically.
The progressivism at the Ivy League will wither away. Trump said he will get the government out of the student loan business, meaning if one wants student loans one would have to go to a bank and take out a private loan. You'd need good credit for that, so the Ivy League would end up going back to the days where they only took in wealthy students. Ultraliberal professors are not likely to get government funds under Trump, so the Ivy League would focus on their profitable schools and departments within the university. There are panicking within some departments. After the last recession, for example, Cornell got rid of teacher ed programs, Swedish, Dutch, etc because they brought in too little money to the university and with cuts in state funding they weren't worth preserving.

I agree with you neoliberalism is dead and as soon as Trump and the Republican congress set a budget we will quickly see changes in education. The public school sector and other bureaucracies in the big cities you mentioned are already weeping and wailing. And while neoliberalism let whole regions of the country rot, it made the average person in SF, NY, LA, and Boston face escalating rents with little hope of socioeconomic mobility as jobs paid less, reduced benefits, got outsourced to temp agencies, etc.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 17,397,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The progressivism at the Ivy League will wither away. Trump said he will get the government out of the student loan business, meaning if one wants student loans one would have to go to a bank and take out a private loan. You'd need good credit for that, so the Ivy League would end up going back to the days where they only took in wealthy students. Ultraliberal professors are not likely to get government funds under Trump, so the Ivy League would focus on their profitable schools and departments within the university. There are panicking within some departments. After the last recession, for example, Cornell got rid of teacher ed programs, Swedish, Dutch, etc because they brought in too little money to the university and with cuts in state funding they weren't worth preserving.

I agree with you neoliberalism is dead and as soon as Trump and the Republican congress set a budget we will quickly see changes in education. The public school sector and other bureaucracies in the big cities you mentioned are already weeping and wailing. And while neoliberalism let whole regions of the country rot, it made the average person in SF, NY, LA, and Boston face escalating rents with little hope of socioeconomic mobility as jobs paid less, reduced benefits, got outsourced to temp agencies, etc.
Trump will cut plenty of government spending.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:03 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,134,753 times
It's nice that American voters are so forgiving.
It says something about people who will vote for somebody who admits to being a sexual aggressor when it comes to good looking women.

I guess Trump supporters looked at their wives and said to them selves, "well at least I don't have anything to worry about".

Old 12-19-2016, 07:36 AM

849 posts, read 451,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It's nice that American voters are so forgiving.
It says something about people who will vote for somebody who admits to being a sexual aggressor when it comes to good looking women.

I guess Trump supporters looked at their wives and said to them selves, "well at least I don't have anything to worry about".
I didn't want Trump to win, but I'm getting sick of this argument. It implies that there is nothing to criticize about Hillary's shady past, and that Trump had nothing to offer either.

Frankly even though I wanted Trump to lose, it was pretty close in my mind... I was disgusted with both of them

Old 12-19-2016, 08:17 AM

23,247 posts, read 16,049,776 times
Quote:
At this point I am actively happy she lost. I am not a dedicated leftist. I would support whatever is best for the public.

As for Trump, I certainly don't like all of his proposals, but I do very much agree with his stance on the job market and trade. In terms of his budget cuts for education, I truly believe they are for the best considering the neoliberal BS that was flourishing at universities due to government funding.

I do think there will be people hurt by Trump's budget cuts, but at the same time I believe it will encourage people to take care of their own communities. Minorities who were dependent upon "liberals" will need to turn to their communities and work on building them up and supporting each other, or they will be "Trumped" by the changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City