U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2016, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
2,263 posts, read 2,641,009 times
Reputation: 1347

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Am I right that most white gentrifiers WANT to live in a diverse neighborhood rather than a majority-white neighborhood?
The only reason they want to live in a diverse area is only cause its cheap and they know eventually more and more white people means less and less diversity in time. They dont want to go to or experience the already establish places they will open their own and then rents get higher and they have to move all over again in a few years. This is the same cycle that continues all over brooklyn (more and more east) in manhattan (more and more north)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2016, 10:59 PM
 
539 posts, read 379,478 times
Reputation: 630
IMO as a non native New Yorker, I'd say the Internet more than anything has made every unique place slightly less unique. Just how it is, now you can get culture from NYC in bumble**** in seconds. Still, New York has an inherent character that makes it what it is and always will be. Hell just not driving places does that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2016, 11:01 PM
 
539 posts, read 379,478 times
Reputation: 630
People usually move into neighborhoods because it is the closest proximity to their needs that they can afford. Whether that's nightlife, work, the beach, etc...diversity is usually an afterthought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 12:13 AM
 
Location: NYC
11,845 posts, read 7,758,477 times
Reputation: 12829
Gentrification probably hurt Hillary's chances of winning. If Hillary ran for President 8 years ago assuming Obama never ran then she would've won easily against McCain. She lost because so many people from other states decide to become NYC residents and their home states flipped over to Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 01:06 AM
 
23,295 posts, read 16,166,240 times
Reputation: 8576
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Gentrification probably hurt Hillary's chances of winning. If Hillary ran for President 8 years ago assuming Obama never ran then she would've won easily against McCain. She lost because so many people from other states decide to become NYC residents and their home states flipped over to Republican.
NYC's population didn't grow that much. Gentrification had no effect on this election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 08:13 AM
 
849 posts, read 457,895 times
Reputation: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Am I right that most white gentrifiers WANT to live in a diverse neighborhood rather than a majority-white neighborhood?
Because that's all most of them can afford

I'm sure lots of transplants and natives of any race would rather live in chelsea or tribeca or battery park city than washington heights or bushwick or astoria, but good luck affording them... i certainly would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 12:50 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,620,110 times
Reputation: 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
The only reason they want to live in a diverse area is only cause its cheap and they know eventually more and more white people means less and less diversity in time. They dont want to go to or experience the already establish places they will open their own and then rents get higher and they have to move all over again in a few years. This is the same cycle that continues all over brooklyn (more and more east) in manhattan (more and more north)
I truly don't think most of them went to live in an all white area. The white flight mindset has been dying out over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 01:00 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,620,110 times
Reputation: 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
Am I right that most white gentrifiers WANT to live in a diverse neighborhood rather than a majority-white neighborhood?

(I just had a fun drive after dropping my gf at JFK - took Jamaica and Fulton Avenues all the way to the Brooklyn Bridge. Some really fascinating neighborhoods on that stretch, like Woodhaven. Too bad my job is in NJ, and it makes no sense to consider moving to one of these diverse neighborhoods myself (which all seem better than Newark and Irvington at least).)

In my opinion, yes.

I can't tap into the minds of other people, but I do believe most white people in NYC appreciate the diversity of neigbborhoods they choose to live in (for those who live in diverse neighborhoods).

I'm white and I appreciate diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 01:02 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,620,110 times
Reputation: 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Because that's all most of them can afford

I'm sure lots of transplants and natives of any race would rather live in chelsea or tribeca or battery park city than washington heights or bushwick or astoria, but good luck affording them... i certainly would.
I would much rather live in Astoria or Bushwick than Chelsea, Tribeca, Battery Park City, etc.

And to my understanding, Astoria is considered a very desirable neighborhood now and the prices reflect that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 01:24 PM
 
23,295 posts, read 16,166,240 times
Reputation: 8576
New York's population is in DECLINE again for the first time in 10 years. Immigration to NYC is DOWN, and a number of NYC's are moving to PA, NJ, and CT (33%), or they go to Florida (25%). So gentrification will soon become yesterday's news (I'm referencing articles in the Daily News, the Wall Street Journal, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top