U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:15 PM

23,291 posts, read 16,158,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Not really true either. Almost all the jobs are on the coasts. I was born and mostly raised in NYC but I was a teenager/young adult in the suburbs with no intention of going back to the city until I realized there was no chance of employment until I went back to the city, so I live in the only place I can afford, and I'm seen as some kind of evil rent-raising racist nazi just because I don't want to get my vegetables at some bug infested bodega with a C from the health inspector and that I don't think people should be blasting hip hop at maximum volume at 3 AM on a work night. Though I've never actually made a complaint, but I would if I thought it would actually get results. And it's not like I WANT to go to whole foods, but if the only choice is between overpriced whole foods and gross ghetto mart, I'll go to whole foods. I want a regular clean supermarket without whole food gimmicks, but that's hard to find now.

Actually I"m being a bit overly negative here; I"m in east harlem and actually the noise hasn't been too bad. Nighttime music blasting is somewhat rare. But one of my friends, who was in the same exact situation, moved to washington heights instead and he has had to deal with it nonstop

Yeah there are wealthy hipsters who ruin the economy in some neighborhoods but I don't think they represent most transplants or more white americans who relocated to new york. They just get a disproportionate amount of attention
You CHOSE to move to NYC, and it's blatantly not true that there are no JOBS nowhere. You can live where you want to, but nobody is forced to move to NYC, and no one is forced to stay.

And it sounds like you haven't lived out of the region much, so your awareness of the rest of the country seems to be off.

Of the transplant population and theyare not all Midwesterners, most come for a few years and then leave. Students, medical residents, law firm clerks and other people who come here to start their careers and move off to pursue other opportunities elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 11:33 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The Bronx is mostly ghetto. Northeast Brooklyn is ghetto. Jamaica and Corona, Queens are ghetto, as is Far Rockaway, and some other parts of the Rockaways. Coney Island is still ghetto. The Lower East Side is still ghetto. Upper Manhattan is still ghetto, and Central and East Harlem are loaded with housing projects, and there's no chance of that being priced out.
The Lower East Side is totally not ghetto except for the blocks that have projects on them

I wouldn't consider Jamaica proper or Corona ghetto either (even if they're a little rough around the edges)

Old 12-22-2016, 11:53 PM

14,952 posts, read 17,501,076 times
With interest rates going up. Gentrification in NYC will be halted. Populist candidates like Bernie Sanders who did not hey elected, but with Trump Victory. It seems that lots of cash flow will now be going back to main street instead of NYC and San Francisco. Real estate lobby will be sending thier lawyers to Capitol Hill asking for money.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:50 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,246,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
With interest rates going up. Gentrification in NYC will be halted. Populist candidates like Bernie Sanders who did not hey elected, but with Trump Victory. It seems that lots of cash flow will now be going back to main street instead of NYC and San Francisco. Real estate lobby will be sending thier lawyers to Capitol Hill asking for money.
I am sure with pending tax cuts for the rich and an unregulated wall street, rich people in NYC are not going to need loans to buy real estate. You have to be really naive to think trump's cabinet full of billionaires and millionaires are there to take care of main street. There is a higher likelihood of another gilded age.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:50 AM

14,952 posts, read 17,501,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I am sure with pending tax cuts for the rich and an unregulated wall street, rich people in NYC are not going to need loans to buy real estate. You have to be really naive to think trump's cabinet full of billionaires and millionaires are there to take care of main street. There is a higher likelihood of another gilded age.
Oh I agree with you also on this. Trump cabinet is full of establishment corpratists. Last how am I naive. Two I said interests have increased. Of course the rich can buy. Tax cuts in the wealthy will usher in another gilded age. However if Trump keeps his word, the reverse I mentioned would happen. Just be happy Bernie Sanders did not get elected. Nyc would be @#&*+# don't be blind. Don't forget, Trump has to work with Republicans who have to make sure the needs of thier constituents are met. If not, midterm elections folks will be singing a different tune in the next two years. Which are coming up fast.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:13 AM

2,263 posts, read 2,639,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Upper Manhattan is still ghetto, and Central and East Harlem are loaded with housing projects, and there's no chance of that being priced out.
Whats your definition of ghetto? people who arent white?

Obviously the people in the projects wont go anywhere for a while but the other people in those areas who dont live in projects have been and will continue to get priced out.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post

Obviously the people in the projects wont go anywhere for a while but the other people in those areas who dont live in projects have been and will continue to get priced out.
Besides the housing projects, you have other buildings full of social services housing in Harlem. It's a lot poorer than people want to admit. And it's not going to become well off in the next decade. People have been pushing Harlem gentrification for over 20 years now. You still have shootings up in Harlem, still have quality of life issues like loud music, poorly maintained apartment buildings, etc.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
AN unregulated wall street means interest rates increases, and that would have a direct impact on the real estate. Remember every 8 to 12 years or so the US economy crashes.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post

Mapping Poverty in America - The New York Times

Look at the extremely high rates of poverty in the Bronx, Upper Manhattan, LES area, big parts of Brooklyn, and much of Queens. It actually looks like gentrification has displaced very little of this poverty. Individual people may move, but it's not like the people likely to move in these places are exactly well off either.

Grim Data Reveals City’s Poverty Rate Isn’t Getting Any Better | | Observer

The poverty rate has increased since 2007, and has not gone down despite the "recovery".

Old 12-23-2016, 11:10 AM

849 posts, read 457,345 times
For the LES and East Harlem in particular, I imagine that due to the very high number of NYCHA buildings the poverty rate will always be high at first glance, but that'll be artificial. If you exclude NYCHA residents, who cannot be displaced because the buildings will always be there, the poverty rate in gentrifying areas like East Harlem the poverty rate is probably not that much elevated over the rest of the city. And it's probably pretty low for somewhere like the LES which has been heavily gentrified for much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or