U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:17 AM

5,730 posts, read 5,177,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't understand why people will dorm with 3 other people rather than just move a little further out.
And they live in Downtown. Its not even a fun neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Exactly. People often have to adjust to their circumstances. It is best not to judge others, until you've lived their life.

I would guess for many folks, sharing would be better than homelessness. I pray for their health and prosperity.
They pay $1000 for rent... they would not be homeless!!!! They made their circumstances.
Did you even read the article, they wanted to live a dorm life to live in manhattan in a lux building.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:34 AM

2,459 posts, read 1,820,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Nothing wrong with roommates in your 20's, 30's, 40's and even BEYOND. Nothing at ALL. But when you are erecting walls to subdivide living rooms and bedrooms and living that way, yes there is. Obviously immigrants have been doing this forever, but now it's being done in luxury doormen buildings in Manhattan? :/ Most of the people in these articles doing it thought are so infantalized and they have SO MUCH financial support from home that it's just extended dorm living for them. If the ****ttt hits the fan they can always move back home to mommy and daddy (something immigrants can't do for the most part). I find it gross enough when high income married people with a kid or two hoard all the studios and one bedroom apartments that middle income single people used to be able to afford in NYC. Now, unless you want to wanna swap genitals (believe it or not, NOT all of like that) with someone, to live in a one bedroom you are screwed because prices have gone up accordingly to accommodate these infiltrators of everything bland in the world. The WONDERFUL multi-unit apartment building I live in, that used to be filled with single people of all types, that is mostly one bedrooms and studios and some two bedrooms has turned into a disgusting pit of nothing but obnoxious breeders and their free-loading Pre-K (OBVIOUSLY HARVARD-BOUND) crotchfruit. :/ It sucks.
Very well said!

I'd like to add that erecting walls may constitute a fire hazard and may very well be illegal. When firefighters come into the building to rescue or turn off fires, they're not expecting walls to be where they are, as their departments are each given some information on the types of floor plans and whether a building (i.e. woodrame or concrete) is combustible.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:40 AM

728 posts, read 494,923 times
For what they're paying for a one bedroom in the Financial District, you can rent a whole house in some other parts of the city. Why someone would want to sacrifice privacy and space to live in the financial district is entirely beyond me.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:43 AM

4,914 posts, read 5,534,383 times
I currently live in Maspeth Queens which is less than 10 minutes from Williamsburg/Greenpoint. I pay $1300 for a 2br apt that only my wife and I live in. I shake my head when I hear stories of these moronic hipsters paying thousands of dollars to live like sardines in a can.

When I'm at work I hear colleagues talking about how they have 3-4 roommates. Mind you, these are adults in their late 20's to mid 30's.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:53 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,669,515 times
Living in the Financial District is a lot more fun that it used to be, with restaurants opening every day, it seems, and more and more people moving in.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Living in the Financial District is a lot more fun that it used to be, with restaurants opening every day, it seems, and more and more people moving in.
Still not fun in my eyes, I worked down there last year and it was a ghost town come 10pm or so.
Also not the safest area to be coming and going late. But I suppose all these roommates uber everywhere and don't bother with the train.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 12-14-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 11:05 AM

230 posts, read 108,479 times
wow! I heard about this but never realized....!!!!

Old 12-14-2016, 11:11 AM

19,055 posts, read 10,086,762 times
from the article

Quote:
While they live in dormlike conditions, Ms. Jackson and her roommates are not in college anymore. They are gainfully employed 20-somethings, trying their hardest to make living in New York City affordable. Each pays under $1,000 a month, toward a total rent of $3,750. Moving to another borough would afford the foursome much more space for less money, of course, but like many newcomers, they are willing to make certain sacrifices to stay in Manhattan.
At least the piece wasn't written from a "woe is me, no one should have to live this way" perspective, because this is clearly a choice by people who have other options but choose to do this. This isn't remotely about desperation over affordability, it's about people who want to live in a manner they cannot otherwise afford, which is not that unusual for 20-somethings at the start of their careers in one of the most expensive places in the world.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:41 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,096,996 times
It's pretty funny when people assume I have roommates only to find out I have my own place and have been living alone for a while now. What addles me though is when people try to push on me that roommate life is better than living alone. It's a godsend to come home to your place and everything is exactly as you left it with no one else there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or