U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 02:54 PM

5,732 posts, read 5,181,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
It's pretty funny when people assume I have roommates only to find out I have my own place and have been living alone for a while now. What addles me though is when people try to push on me that roommate life is better than living alone. It's a godsend to come home to your place and everything is exactly as you left it with no one else there.
Amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 03:00 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,669,515 times
Manhattan's FiDi Is This Year's Surprise, Hot Restaurant Scene

All that construction work has finally paid off—downtown Manhattan, and in particular, FiDi, has some of the most exciting new restaurants around.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ncial-district

Old 12-14-2016, 03:04 PM

5,732 posts, read 5,181,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Manhattan's FiDi Is This Year's Surprise, Hot Restaurant Scene

All that construction work has finally paid off—downtown Manhattan, and in particular, FiDi, has some of the most exciting new restaurants around.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ncial-district
And I'm sure those living 4 to 1 bedroom will be eating at these fine dining expensive restaurants...

Old 12-14-2016, 07:47 PM

8,242 posts, read 8,518,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
1st world problems.

I was recently in Nicaragua and we ate with families that had 10+ people (not all related) living in what we would consider a shack, with sporadic electricity and hardly running water. They literally washed their clothes and bathed in the lake.

They were the warmest, friendliest people I have ever met.
Actually, when we're finding many people who can barely afford to live, when we're experiencing rampant economic inequality - there are a lot of signs that we're degenerating into a situation where we'll basically be a Third World country.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:52 PM

8,242 posts, read 8,518,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Exactly. People often have to adjust to their circumstances. It is best not to judge others, until you've lived their life.

I would guess for many folks, sharing would be better than homelessness. I pray for their health and prosperity.

Sorry, but the stance that we shouldn't judge others always strikes me as ridiculous, as well as sappy.

This is what adults do: We judge. We have opinions based on our knowledge and experience. That's how we make decisions, based on judgments. New Yorkers, especially, judge. This is why we have strong opinions about Trump, DeBlasio, or anything/anyone else. The idea that we shouldn't judge Trump unless we miraculous suddenly became Trump is absurd.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:25 PM

19,057 posts, read 10,086,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Actually, when we're finding many people who can barely afford to live, when we're experiencing rampant economic inequality - there are a lot of signs that we're degenerating into a situation where we'll basically be a Third World country.
Not based on people who can pay $1,000 a month on rent and who chose to squeeze 4 people in a 1 bedroom apartment rather than live in a larger home in what they consider a less desirable location.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:13 PM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 20 hours ago)

19,275 posts, read 32,757,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Still not fun in my eyes, I worked down there last year and it was a ghost town come 10pm or so.
Also not the safest area to be coming and going late. But I suppose all these roommates uber everywhere and don't bother with the train.
Yeah it's actually kinda creepy looking at night...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-14-2016, 11:55 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,630,650 times
Quote:
You aren't gonna get laid sharing a 1 bedroom place with 4 people either
If you're only paying 1k, you should be saving money for when you need to laid get a hotel, **** in the car, if its an amenity filled building use the pool, roof deck, etc.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:53 AM

894 posts, read 393,207 times
Quote:
I met a girl. She shared a 1 bedroom with 4 and a kid girls in midtown. No walls were put up. 3 slept on mattress in the living room and the other one had her bedroom with her kid cause she was the original tenant. She had cheap rent and profited as her her rent paid by the the roommates plus some. So the original tenant lived there for free and made money....The girl I met was one in the living room. I asked why she'd live like that she said to live in a nice building in manhattan.

An ex coworker said you needed the right address to get into the right social circle to find the right husband. She scavenged for many years. But by golly she did meet her investment banker and is living the fairytale life in the suburbs now as a trophy wife lol.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:27 AM

23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
It does depend on which country and region because their versions of Middle class families varies and they could still live like this. A lawyer could still live in a shack with outdoor plumbing/facilities, maybe a bit more modern from the rest of the neighborhood but still a shack compared to 1st world.
Lawyers do not live in shacks in Latin America with outdoor plumbing facilities. They live in real houses with cars and with real services.

That does not vary from country to country.

What you said is extremely racist and ignorant. And there is no such thing as the first world. NYC actually has one of the highest numbers of homeless people in the world, and if weren't for welfare things would be much worse.

I've actually been to a number of Latin American countries, for personal and business reasons.

Of course all Americans are experts on everything, even when they've never been to a place, and clearly you've never been to ANY of these countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or