Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 12:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
1st world problems.

I was recently in Nicaragua and we ate with families that had 10+ people (not all related) living in what we would consider a shack, with sporadic electricity and hardly running water. They literally washed their clothes and bathed in the lake.

They were the warmest, friendliest people I have ever met.
These are destitute families. Most families in Latin America aren't that poor. People live in houses and apartments. And they have running water and reasonable regular electricity. Things varying from country to country and within regions of the country, but as a whole most people are not that poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 12:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Nothing wrong with roommates in your 20's, 30's, 40's and even BEYOND. Nothing at ALL. But when you are erecting walls to subdivide living rooms and bedrooms and living that way, yes there is. Obviously immigrants have been doing this forever, but now it's being done in luxury doormen buildings in Manhattan? :/ Most of the people in these articles doing it thought are so infantalized and they have SO MUCH financial support from home that it's just extended dorm living for them. If the ****ttt hits the fan they can always move back home to mommy and daddy (something immigrants can't do for the most part). I find it gross enough when high income married people with a kid or two hoard all the studios and one bedroom apartments that middle income single people used to be able to afford in NYC. Now, unless you want to wanna swap genitals (believe it or not, NOT all of like that) with someone, to live in a one bedroom you are screwed because prices have gone up accordingly to accommodate these infiltrators of everything bland in the world. The WONDERFUL multi-unit apartment building I live in, that used to be filled with single people of all types, that is mostly one bedrooms and studios and some two bedrooms has turned into a disgusting pit of nothing but obnoxious breeders and their free-loading Pre-K (OBVIOUSLY HARVARD-BOUND) crotchfruit. :/ It sucks.
There's really nothing that's going to be done about all that. Yes big parts of the city are extended dorm living or in fact literal dorms. Those landlords make their money off this market, and that's that.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:39 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,634 times
If you have $1,000 a month to spend on rent there are obviously better options. Everyone knows that. These people are just hell bent on living in the prime sections of Manhattan. Were they not even to leave Manhattan, just go Uptown they'd find more space. Or go to Jersey, get an entire place of their own and commute. I can't imagine living that way past the age of maybe 22.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:57 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
I don't understand why people will dorm with 3 other people rather than just move a little further out.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:00 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
If you have $1,000 a month to spend on rent there are obviously better options. Everyone knows that. These people are just hell bent on living in the prime sections of Manhattan. Were they not even to leave Manhattan, just go Uptown they'd find more space. Or go to Jersey, get an entire place of their own and commute. I can't imagine living that way past the age of maybe 22.
Agreed. I'd much rather live with one roommate in Washington Heights than 3 roommates in Lower Manhattan. I'd live even further out and not have a roommate but that's (for the most part) not possible on that budget in NYC proper anynore

Old 12-14-2016, 07:05 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
That's until you get diarrhea and someone's already using the bathroom.
Well, you have a back up lug-a-loo for emergencies.

https://relianceproducts.com/images/...able-Loo_2.jpg

In any case, none of the cons in this thread matter. Either you can afford living alone or not. If not, then you got roommates or live on the street. Roommate life is as common as homosexual marriage...actually more common.

Roommates, roommate finder and roommate search service

Pretty soon you will just get a privacy bed and no room...

https://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/Bed...2744672p?$478$

Last edited by slackercruster; 12-14-2016 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 07:14 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Agreed. I'd much rather live with one roommate in Washington Heights than 3 roommates in Lower Manhattan. I'd live even further out and not have a roommate but that's (for the most part) not possible on that budget in NYC proper anynore
That is how things will be, you rate your local by how many roommates are needed to get by.

It is not only NYC. A few years ago I asked a guy living at Santa Monica beach how much it cost for an apt. He said 3 roommates share the $2600 apt and take weekly turns sleeping in the 1 bedroom. At least your NY'ers got some privacy walls!

Old 12-14-2016, 07:56 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,262,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
These are destitute families. Most families in Latin America aren't that poor. People live in houses and apartments. And they have running water and reasonable regular electricity. Things varying from country to country and within regions of the country, but as a whole most people are not that poor.
It does depend on which country and region because their versions of Middle class families varies and they could still live like this. A lawyer could still live in a shack with outdoor plumbing/facilities, maybe a bit more modern from the rest of the neighborhood but still a shack compared to 1st world.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:10 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Well, you have a back up lug-a-loo for emergencies.

https://relianceproducts.com/images/...able-Loo_2.jpg

In any case, none of the cons in this thread matter. Either you can afford living alone or not. If not, then you got roommates or live on the street. Roommate life is as common as homosexual marriage...actually more common.

Roommates, roommate finder and roommate search service

Pretty soon you will just get a privacy bed and no room...

https://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/Bed...2744672p?$478$
Jesus Christ that's worst than 3rd world disgusting. At least in India they defecate in the open and the smell isn't trapped and shared in a one bedroom apartment. If you can't afford it then move to rural NJ that way you can just freely create your own fertilizer and eat it too. Poo-pourri must be flying off the shelves in Manhattan.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 12-14-2016 at 08:18 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 08:21 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
People adopt to the environment. Sorry about that. I have thousands of hours on small boats and RVs where we had five people living very comfortably in 500 SF. It is not difficult.

Social norms may dictate more space but practically it is easy to live five or six people in 600SF.

And in fact one of my most favorite life experiences in small boating over long distances. Far worse than an apartment as there is no escape. You are there for the duration.

So if it bothers you fix the economics that causes it. Don't pick on the participants.
Exactly. People often have to adjust to their circumstances. It is best not to judge others, until you've lived their life.

I would guess for many folks, sharing would be better than homelessness. I pray for their health and prosperity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: