U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 08:53 AM

4,914 posts, read 5,524,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Tooncesdrvcat, how big is the 1 apartment? 1 bedroom? 2 bedroom?

Do you make sure your child is either in their socks or barefoot and no shoes on in the house?

The issue is people never realize just how loud noise can be from above. The guy above me walks so hard it shakes my tables, lamps, even my bed. Maybe one day when you child is running around like crazy one of you can go downstairs and take a listen.

The lady below me told me that before I lived in my apt a couple and a toddler lived here. It was so bad they made them get wall to wall carpeting and it still didn't help much. Poor woman was miserable. She was so happy when they moved out and I moved in. Anyway point being from this story and above responses, I don't think your downstairs neighbor is a neighbor from hell. I think they are like many people.
Sounds more like a building/construction issue than a "walking" issue. If someone can shake the entire apt beneath them just by walking, there's something definitely wrong with the way the units were constructed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 09:12 AM

7,048 posts, read 7,621,322 times
Sue the co-op board & your downstair neighbor. Americans loves a litigious environment.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:48 PM

738 posts, read 355,226 times
Children are new life. They should be respected. A failure to do so indicates whiny, crochety soreheadness.

Look at your lease. I think you're on solid legal ground. You didn't sign up to live in a library.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:27 AM

4,784 posts, read 4,667,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am sorry but I will have to side with your downstairs neighbor. I think people with kids should be restricted to first floor apartments. I recall when I lived below my landlord that it sucked when her grandkids came over. It is the reason why I choose to live on top floor apartments especially garden style apartments. Unfortunately, many apartments are not made well. I commend the board for actually doing something about it. Many people with kids have no regard for others. Is your neighbor making any noise to disturb you?
I have an older woman who lives above me who is tiny. She works from home and she NEVER stops walking back and forth. Sometimes I hear her THE ENTIRE DAY---going back and forth, starting to sweep at 7 AM, vacuuming sometimes twice in a day, etc. And since I usually work nights, I have to listen to her nonsense all day. But guess what? I didn't buy a top floor unit so I expect to hear the person above me.

If I was the OP and I already did everything I could do (and now they want her to spend more money?), I'd have a strongly worded letter sent to the board courtesy of my lawyer.

BTW-Not all coops are like the way you describe.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:42 AM

14 posts, read 9,403 times
Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments. Can anyone recommend a lawyer who specializes in Coop/shareholder disputes in Queens? Please send me a PM. thank you.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:55 AM

7,126 posts, read 5,499,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooncesdrvcat View Post
Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments. Can anyone recommend a lawyer who specializes in Coop/shareholder disputes in Queens? Please send me a PM. thank you.
It's on the downstairs neighbor to brace & insulate the ceiling, you've done your part

Old 12-15-2016, 07:34 AM

4,914 posts, read 5,524,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's on the downstairs neighbor to brace & insulate the ceiling, you've done your part
This ^

Don't even stress yourself out any longer. If the sound of a baby crawling irks your downstairs neighbor then I'm sure she'll always find things to complain about.

I once lived in a residence where the lady beneath me use to complain to the landlord about everything from me coming home late, to the fact that I flush the toilet after 10pm. My landlord told her...."if you're not happy you're more than welcome to leave".

Old 12-15-2016, 08:04 AM

2,005 posts, read 4,272,823 times
Sue them for excessive yenta. Two robust and probing yentas can ruin any living arrangement. You never had a chance.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,074,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
This ^

Don't even stress yourself out any longer. If the sound of a baby crawling irks your downstairs neighbor then I'm sure she'll always find things to complain about.

I once lived in a residence where the lady beneath me use to complain to the landlord about everything from me coming home late, to the fact that I flush the toilet after 10pm. My landlord told her...."if you're not happy you're more than welcome to leave".
You flush your toilet after 10pm!!!? The nerve of some people!

Old 12-15-2016, 09:04 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,917,051 times
I'm so glad I did not buy that coop in Brooklyn a few years ago. I bought a house on Long Island and now we can make all the noise we want and don't have to deal with being quite after 10pm. Coops are great for single adults or couples without kids. If you don't want to deal with neighbors below you complaining then buy a house or move to the 1st floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or