U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:21 AM

9,958 posts, read 8,450,177 times

Advertisements

Children belong in single family house in the 'burbs with no one below then and back yards (or even low traffic side streets) to run around in.

For some reason parents nowadays feel the need to stay in the city when they have kids. For a number of reasons, this is a big mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
Children are new life. They should be respected. A failure to do so indicates whiny, crochety soreheadness.

Look at your lease. I think you're on solid legal ground. You didn't sign up to live in a library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 09:26 AM

4,914 posts, read 5,526,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I'm so glad I did not buy that coop in Brooklyn a few years ago. I bought a house on Long Island and now we can make all the noise we want and don't have to deal with being quite after 10pm. Coops are great for single adults or couples without kids. If you don't want to deal with neighbors below you complaining then buy a house or move to the 1st floor.
2yrs ago my fiancé and I were in the market for a coop in Hasting on the Hudson. Really beautiful neighborhood with a view of the water. Once we read all the rules and stipulations associated with the coop board, we quickly decided to back out. Even the entire mortgage process seemed backwards. Our broker wanted us to dish out all this $$$ prior to even being approved by the board.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:23 AM

7,127 posts, read 5,501,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
For some reason parents nowadays feel the need to stay in the city when they have kids. For a number of reasons, this is a big mistake.
The city is a much better place to raise kids, assuming there is a functional government with low crime. The suburbs are a failed experiment for happy lifestyles

Old 12-15-2016, 11:58 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,064,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The city is a much better place to raise kids, assuming there is a functional government with low crime. The suburbs are a failed experiment for happy lifestyles
Why is the city a better place to raise kids? I grew up in NYC and will relocate to LI for the sake of my kids.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:17 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,918,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Why is the city a better place to raise kids? I grew up in NYC and will relocate to LI for the sake of my kids.
It's not. Don't believe what he says. I lived in the city when I was a kid and moved to the suburbs in the 8th grade. It was a night and day experience. Education was A LOT better, classes were less filled, the curriculum was better, much better after school activities and less thugs. The public schools in the city are crap. I would only send my kid to a private or charter school if I still lived in the city.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:03 PM

5,514 posts, read 5,501,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I have an older woman who lives above me who is tiny. She works from home and she NEVER stops walking back and forth. Sometimes I hear her THE ENTIRE DAY---going back and forth, starting to sweep at 7 AM, vacuuming sometimes twice in a day, etc. And since I usually work nights, I have to listen to her nonsense all day. But guess what? I didn't buy a top floor unit so I expect to hear the person above me.

If I was the OP and I already did everything I could do (and now they want her to spend more money?), I'd have a strongly worded letter sent to the board courtesy of my lawyer.

BTW-Not all coops are like the way you describe.
I do not live in a coop and I did not describe one. I commended the op's coop board for doing something about it.

It is a bad situation for all parties involved.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:30 AM

7,127 posts, read 5,501,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
It's not. Don't believe what he says. I lived in the city when I was a kid and moved to the suburbs in the 8th grade. It was a night and day experience. Education was A LOT better, classes were less filled, the curriculum was better, much better after school activities and less thugs. The public schools in the city are crap. I would only send my kid to a private or charter school if I still lived in the city.
100% depends on your neighborhood, and this 2016 not 1976. Kids benefit massively from the life experiences available here instead of being shuttled by car to the mall and back from their subdivision cookie cutter house. Raising kids in Brownsville, not so good. But Tribeca, UWS, Astoria, Sunnyside, etc.. kids will have access to a lot that's not available in the wastelands of suburbia filled with bored kids who can't wait to leave and become another annoying hipster transplant

Old 12-16-2016, 08:50 AM

738 posts, read 355,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Children belong in single family house in the 'burbs with no one below then and back yards (or even low traffic side streets) to run around in.

When they are young, perhaps.

However, when they get to puberty, the city is a better place to be than some dull, sterile suburb where they have nothing better to do than hang at the mall and start experimenting with heroin.

Suburbs suck.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:57 AM

20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
It's just apartment house City,
Apartment house City.
One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

**************Malvina Reynolds

<We come in and immediately put on slippers or foam soled flip-flops.>

Old 12-16-2016, 09:14 AM

2,922 posts, read 1,189,401 times
We are debating this very thing myself. We want to buy, my wife in Jackson Heights , Woodside, Sunnyside, Co op or Condo living. I want to go to NJ and purchase a home with yard, garage, activities filled schools, not so close to my neighbors.

We feel our son may get a better experience in an active school, away from the grind that is apartment living. But we also agree he can have a great experience in Queens, borough of the world, and be more of an open minded person.

This very issue, neighbors complaining about music, footsteps chatter, noise. I only have so much patience dealing with issues like these. Then there are potential issues like selling, raising maintenance fees, additions to the Family.

I hope the OP experience is not a common one, And wish the OP all the luck. Please post back your results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or