Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:18 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooncesdrvcat View Post
Just to answer some of the questions above, we take off our shoes when in the apartment. Also, like I said before, close to 95 percent of our unit is covered by carpet/rug and padding. We also have a play area for the child covered by the children play mats (2 layers!) that was suggested above. Bedrooms are wall to wall carpeting. We took away certain toys (like hard objects) that may make too much noise. We also tell our baby to stop when he starts running around. But boys will be boys and he does any way sometimes.

These neighbors downstairs came up to knock on our door when our baby was starting to crawl complaining that he was making too much noise. This was on carpeted floor. They also came to our door complaining that our baby was crying at 11pm and keeping their baby awake. They also complained to managing company that our AC was leaking on top or their AC unit.

I understand that having a toddler live upstairs can be a nuances and I would much prefer to have an older couple living upstairs than a young couple with a toddler. But this is life in the city, isn't it? I used to live in a condo where a toddler living upstairs jumped and ran around at times. And they did not have any covering on the hardwood floors. Did it bother me? Yes? Did I do anything about it? No. I just accepted that as part of apartment living in NYC. Their AC also leaked on top of mine. What did I do? I put padding on top of my AC and problem solved.

This is what really upset me about Coops. And had I known this, I would never have bought one. It's the issue of conflict of interest. The board decides which managing company to hire. So in a sense managing companies work for the coop board. When there is a dispute between a coop shareholder and a coop board member (president in this case), the shareholder (me) is getting screwed and bullied. The board simply has too much power and a regular joe shareholder has too little especially when a dispute arises between the two. My coop also has a clause where if a board member sues the coop and loses, the board member has to foot the coop's legal fees. We are not combative people and just want to get along but we are getting persecuted for having a toddler live above a board member.
I have to agree with your downstairs neighbor. Unfortunately, the issue is that some apartments aren't well constructed OR have hard wood floors throughout, which means that even with the carpeting, you can still hear EVERYTHING the kid does. My neighbor has a dog, even though it clearly says they are not allowed in the lease, and whenever he or she starts scratching the floor or playing with their toys at odd hours of the morning and dropping them all over the place, I am woken up by it, and I am not pleased to say the least. I will say that the neighbor has made a conscious effort after I raised hell to let the dog play on the balcony when the weather is warm so as not to disturb my sleep and it has been much better. The best thing to do is move. Families with kids should either live on a ground floor or a house or some place that is well constructed so that the people living below don't have to feel like prisoners in their own homes. Quite frankly you're getting by easy. I am not very nice when people above me aren't considerate, and am very direct about my displeasure, in addition to taking every legal recourse that the city offers. The neighbors on my floor all know the deal and we're all respectful for each other's need for peace and quiet. Take your kid to the park to run and jump. That's what they exist for. I have another residence that is also very quiet and neighbors are considerate.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 12-16-2016 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 09:22 AM

738 posts, read 585,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
We feel our son may get a better experience in an active school, away from the grind that is apartment living. But we also agree he can have a great experience in Queens, borough of the world, and be more of an open minded person.

That is well put.

I was just finishing HS when my parents decided to move out to Manhass___t, Dung Island. Yuck. I had a Jewish friend of mine over and we were having beers in the backyard when we were treated to a loud chorus of anti-semitic tripe, courtesy of the neighbors.

Yes, safe LI. Safe, until my sister got killed by a drunk driver, and the guy who did it got off with probation.

Dung Island. It ought to be sawn off and floated back to the UK.

Don't move to the 'burbs.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:03 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I have to agree with your downstairs neighbor. Unfortunately, the issue is that some apartments aren't well constructed OR have hard wood floors throughout, which means that even with the carpeting, you can still hear EVERYTHING the kid does. My neighbor has a dog, even though it clearly says they are not allowed in the lease, and whenever he or she starts scratching the floor or playing with their toys at odd hours of the morning and dropping them all over the place, I am woken up by it, and I am not pleased to say the least. I will say that the neighbor has made a conscious effort after I raised hell to let the dog play on the balcony when the weather is warm so as not to disturb my sleep and it has been much better. The best thing to do is move. Families with kids should either live on a ground floor or a house or some place that is well constructed so that the people living below don't have to feel like prisoners in their own homes. Quite frankly you're getting by easy. I am not very nice when people above me aren't considerate, and am very direct about my displeasure, in addition to taking every legal recourse that the city offers. The neighbors on my floor all know the deal and we're all respectful for each other's need for peace and quiet. Take your kid to the park to run and jump. That's what they exist for. I have another residence that is also very quiet and neighbors are considerate.
The downstairs neighbor and coop board chair is just wrong. If the OP has complied with all the rules in the bylaws of the co-op, and can prove it, then she has done what needs to be done and should be free from further worry. I would consult a lawyer if the endless management visits and other harassment continue.

And that families with kids should only live on the first floor? That's simply insane, if for no other reason that there aren't enough vacant first floor apartments in the city for that. FWIW, we raised ours on the 8th floor, put in some carpeting, and that was the end of it. And with all but the most pig-headed, or hostile neighbors that's what works in most buildings. A moderate amount of noise is to be expected in an apartment building and its normal for city living. Rather than getting the families to move, I think that the neighbors who are overly sensitive to noise (as in the OPs case or pierrepont7731's ) should be the ones to pack up and head for the 'burbs.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:16 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
When they are young, perhaps.

However, when they get to puberty, the city is a better place to be than some dull, sterile suburb where they have nothing better to do than hang at the mall and start experimenting with heroin.

Suburbs suck.
Dont start with the stereotypes....heroin and drug use is not only in the burbs....can be anywhere. What's more important is the friends your kids associate with since they are easily impressionable and influenced during their teenage and even college years.

For me, the city has very poor and overcrowded schools with little extracurricular activities to offer. Second, your living situation can be like the OP'S where you have to worry about noise and lack of living space (most likely limited to mass commute as it would be too much of a headache for a car), third, you are around a lot more people and as a result you are exposed to more violent crimes and exposure to the homeless. A lot of bad quality of life issues for raising kids in the city. It's nice to visit, but not ideal to live in imo, especially with kids.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:17 PM

16 posts, read 21,655 times
Quote:

Number 1. You are comparing a dog which is NOT allowed on your lease to a child which IS allowed on our lease. Further, our child does not run around playing with his toys at odd hours in the morning waking up the neighbor.

Number 2. We ARE being considerate when we cover 95 percent of the flooring with carpet/rugs when the house rule calls for 75 percent. We ARE being considerate when we add padding to the rugs when the house rule does not mention this requirement. It is people like YOU who are being an ******* who automatically believe anyone with a child living above the 1st floor of an apartment building is being inconsiderate towards their neighbor. If it was soooo inconsiderate why doesn't the city, coop, apt. complexes disallow families with kids living in floors other than 1st?

Old 12-16-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Number 1. You are comparing a dog which is NOT allowed on your lease to a child which IS allowed on our lease. Further, our child does not run around playing with his toys at odd hours in the morning waking up the neighbor.

Number 2. We ARE being considerate when we cover 95 percent of the flooring with carpet/rugs when the house rule calls for 75 percent. We ARE being considerate when we add padding to the rugs when the house rule does not mention this requirement. It is people like YOU who are being an ******* who automatically believe anyone with a child living above the 1st floor of an apartment building is being inconsiderate towards their neighbor. If it was soooo inconsiderate why doesn't the city, coop, apt. complexes disallow families with kids living in floors other than 1st?
You are in a tough spot, I'm a coop owner myself and would not have bought it in hindsight. Feeling like I'm living in a cage. I have also found out the Financials of my building are not that great considering I have assessments added every other year thousands that I didn't take into account before buying in.

I have had issues with my neighbor downstairs as well regarding noise but not to your extent.

Bbq in my backyard? Don't have a backyard. Go out in bad weather or at night? Nah, might not get a parking spot close to my apt when I get back. After 10pm? Have to lower the stereo to not **** of neighbors and fear of being reported....I loathe carpeting.

Right now I'm just saving some more to go out to LI in the few years.

Last edited by nyccs; 12-16-2016 at 12:32 PM..

Old 12-16-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:

1. The point was that even though the dog doesn't play often, when he/she does, the noise is incredible, so yes, it relates to your little angel who I'm sure you think doesn't make much noise either.

2. Excuse me. You came here complaining about all of the hell that you're going through ad nauseum. Instead of carrying on about how "horrible" your neighbor is for actually wanting peace and quiet in their apartment (imagine that), why don't you move and take your kid to a place where they can freely run around and not be a nuisance to others? Instead you complain endlessly about how you're doing so much (when it is obviously not working). Some people love conflict. You also didn't answer my other question about taking them to the park to run and jump and play??? That's what they have those things for you know. Your apartment is not a playground and never will be. You OWN a place, so it seems as if there is a possibility that you could move into a house or perhaps a townhouse and not have to put with the endless back and forth with any neighbors, but perhaps you've chosen this arrangement? If I had a kid or kids I would buy a HOUSE. People are a trip. "My kid is such an angel". He/she doesn't make that much noise. Have you actually gone downstairs to see just how loud it sounds when your kid is playing? I doubt you have. How about you do that and report back?

Old 12-16-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
1. The point was that even though the dog doesn't play often, when he/she does, the noise is incredible, so yes, it relates to your little angel who I'm sure you think doesn't make much noise either.

2. Excuse me. You came here complaining about all of the hell that you're going through ad nauseum. Instead of carrying on about how "horrible" your neighbor is for actually wanting peace and quiet in their apartment (imagine that), why don't you move and take your kid to a place where they can freely run around and not be a nuisance to others? Instead you complain endlessly about how you're doing so much (when it is obviously not working). Some people love conflict. You also didn't answer my other question about taking them to the park to run and jump and play. That's what they have those things for you know. Your apartment is not a playground and never will be. You OWN a place, so it seems as if there is a possibility that you could move into a house or perhaps a townhouse and not have to put with the endless back and forth with any neighbors, but perhaps you've chosen this arrangement? If I had a kid or kids I would buy a HOUSE. People are a trip. "My kid is such an angel". He/she doesn't make that much noise. Have you actually gone downstairs to see just how loud it sounds when your kid is playing? I doubt you have. How about you do that and report back?
Can't bring my kid to park in this kind of weather. Kids are cooped up in their apartments playing video games or on the computer....like I was.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The downstairs neighbor and coop board chair is just wrong. If the OP has complied with all the rules in the bylaws of the co-op, and can prove it, then she has done what needs to be done and should be free from further worry. I would consult a lawyer if the endless management visits and other harassment continue.

And that families with kids should only live on the first floor? That's simply insane, if for no other reason that there aren't enough vacant first floor apartments in the city for that. FWIW, we raised ours on the 8th floor, put in some carpeting, and that was the end of it. And with all but the most pig-headed, or hostile neighbors that's what works in most buildings. A moderate amount of noise is to be expected in an apartment building and its normal for city living. Rather than getting the families to move, I think that the neighbors who are overly sensitive to noise (as in the OPs case or pierrepont7731's ) should be the ones to pack up and head for the 'burbs.
That is not happening. I live in a community where it is understood that residents expect peace and quiet and the newcomers either abide by those rules or be prepared for a legal battle. I'm not going anywhere. I've been in my residence for years with neighbors that were considerate and still are. I had one incident with the new neighbor and it's been fine ever since. They got the message loud and clear that it is a quiet residence and a quiet neighborhood, and we plan to keep it that way.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Can't bring my kid to park in this kind of weather. Kids are cooped up in their apartments playing video games or on the computer....like I was.
What a surprise... More excuses... There are plenty of indoor activities to bring kids to, even when it is cold. Having your kid run around and be cooped up in their apartment is certainly not the answer, no matter how much carpeting is put down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City