U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:39 AM

7,917 posts, read 6,498,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't think that's true. I think an upper-middle class black family would rather live on the North Shore than the South Shore or Mid-Island, but that's just my opinion.
That's their right, but no middle class black family would have problems on the south shore. Low-class protected democrats on the other hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 09:28 AM

7,594 posts, read 2,718,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
That's their right, but no middle class black family would have problems on the south shore. Low-class protected democrats on the other hand...
Are you sure about that? There aren't that many black families on the South Shore, but the few that have moved there, I've heard back in the day that they were harassed and told they had to move. Maybe those small minded individuals have moved on to NJ, but I could be wrong.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:32 AM

2,461 posts, read 1,826,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
In terms of black and white, every area in this country is racially segregated. And for the neighborhoods in this city that are seeing some white folks move in to long time black strongholds, the majority of these (on the surface) liberal white people are consciously waiting patiently for the black folk who still live there to move on. I can promise you that.
This comment is so true. I once had two friends who were here from Europe - both from Germany point this out to me. I was born and raised in NYC, and never really noticed that neighborhoods are divided by race. (Duh!) Anyways, the two Germans (one white and the other one a Middle Eastern-German with a Muslim background) said that in Germany people of all colors live together, and that they're more divided based on income - not by race.

Oh, and you're right - I also believe that certain breeds of liberals are hypocrites.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Are you sure about that? There aren't that many black families on the South Shore, but the few that have moved there, I've heard back in the day that they were harassed and told they had to move. Maybe those small minded individuals have moved on to NJ, but I could be wrong.
I've always lived on the south shore and always had minority families around me, minority familes who (like us) actually earned the financial ability to live on the south shore of SI. None ever complained to me about racism. Most said they moved here specifically to avoid low-class government dependant losers.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:18 AM

766 posts, read 509,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I've always lived on the south shore and always had minority families around me, minority familes who (like us) actually earned the financial ability to live on the south shore of SI. None ever complained to me about racism. Most said they moved here specifically to avoid low-class government dependant losers.
Good. My friend thought otherwise.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:27 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,372,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Good. My friend thought otherwise.

Here's his friend:

Old 12-16-2016, 04:51 PM

18,338 posts, read 11,738,895 times
Again, there often aren't any saints when it comes to "prejudice" on Staten Island. Just as many blacks/minorities won't live south of the SIE as whites vice versa.

People tend to live where they think they will feel comfortable, especially if they have children. Many African Americans *prefer* to live in areas dominated by their own race as whites and others do their own. New York Sunday Times did a huge feature article about this several months ago.

This shouldn't come as a surprise. Blacks long flocked to Harlem, Bedford Stuyvesant and other areas of NYC when they could clearly have afforded or could live elsewhere.

As for the South Shore, it is no different than parts of the North, East or West; many today will sell to anyone that will meet their number. White, black, Latino/Hispanic, developer, Jews, etc... the only thing that matters is color of their money.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:35 PM

462 posts, read 301,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Again, there often aren't any saints when it comes to "prejudice" on Staten Island. Just as many blacks/minorities won't live south of the SIE as whites vice versa.

People tend to live where they think they will feel comfortable, especially if they have children. Many African Americans *prefer* to live in areas dominated by their own race as whites and others do their own. New York Sunday Times did a huge feature article about this several months ago.

This shouldn't come as a surprise. Blacks long flocked to Harlem, Bedford Stuyvesant and other areas of NYC when they could clearly have afforded or could live elsewhere.

As for the South Shore, it is no different than parts of the North, East or West; many today will sell to anyone that will meet their number. White, black, Latino/Hispanic, developer, Jews, etc... the only thing that matters is color of their money.

This is 100% true. Actual "forced' segregation has been outlawed for many years and deservedly so. But I've found that many people still simply feel more comfortable living with people who share their culture. And it isn't just black or white either, look at the Asian areas in Flushing.

I live on the North Shore, and my neighborhood is mostly white, but there are also a couple of Muslim families as well as African-American, and one family from China also. They seem happy enough as they have been there for a number of years.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:26 PM

31 posts, read 16,750 times
The harassment thing is true, unfortunately. My best friend (who is black) went to Staten Island for a co-workers baby shower about 20 years ago. She had tinted windows on her car and pulled up next to a cop to ask for directions because she was turned around. The officer provided the needed information and then promptly advised her to leave before dark, for her own safety.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:26 PM

20 years ago lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or