U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-15-2016, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Bronx,NY
175 posts, read 175,963 times
Reputation: 133

Advertisements

I know transit is got there hands full with the 2 ave subway but I was doing some random
Reading on wikipedia and Was wondering how feasible would it be to do it and BAM! It hit me.
According to wiki the upper level E tunnel extends some 2000 feet south toward the Atlantic branch of the LIRR
and is actually below the branch! I know the LIRR sends alot of trains to babylon,long beach,and Far rock along this branch but I reccomned MTA buying that entire corridor from LIRR and convering it to subway use such as
Was done with the Dyre ave branch of the 5 line. (Even tho that ROW was abandoned) but those displaced trains can use the st albans corridor of the same capacity just further east.

I think the line should be 3 tracks to allow for peak direction service and to obviously speed up the ride in considering the distance. Now since trains already have been running thru there for decades there shouldnt be any b****** about the noise or frequency of trains becuase they should be used it as far as the folks along the
Immeadiate route.

7 New stations as follows:

108/109 Aves
Linden Blvd
Foch Blvd
Baisley Blvd-N Rochdale
Farmers blvd-S Rochdale (current site of lirr locust manor stop)
Laurelton-225 St (luarelton lirr stop)
Rosedale-Francis Lewis blvd (rosedale lirr stop)

Considering that this was the plan in the 70s following the construction of rochdale village that holds some
25,000 people it really needs to be looked at again. The lirr does its justice...for those who can afford it.
But how about the majority who cant and this the low frequencies of the lirr trains that do stop at those 3 stations. Its a transit desert out there and its comtains over 100-200k people who currently rely on the longg bus rides to jamaica and those nasty A** dollar vans. It also takes the pressure of those buses converging at Jamaica.

As to building an Entirely new subway or EL along Merrick blvd and cuasing all that disruption I think the MTA could pull this off for relatively "cheap". The most expense would be the portal from
Subway to elevated around the york city college vicinity. Good thoughts welcomed
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2016, 12:30 PM
 
23,260 posts, read 16,070,454 times
Reputation: 8536
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
I know transit is got there hands full with the 2 ave subway but I was doing some random
Reading on wikipedia and Was wondering how feasible would it be to do it and BAM! It hit me.
According to wiki the upper level E tunnel extends some 2000 feet south toward the Atlantic branch of the LIRR
and is actually below the branch! I know the LIRR sends alot of trains to babylon,long beach,and Far rock along this branch but I reccomned MTA buying that entire corridor from LIRR and convering it to subway use such as
Was done with the Dyre ave branch of the 5 line. (Even tho that ROW was abandoned) but those displaced trains can use the st albans corridor of the same capacity just further east.

I think the line should be 3 tracks to allow for peak direction service and to obviously speed up the ride in considering the distance. Now since trains already have been running thru there for decades there shouldnt be any b****** about the noise or frequency of trains becuase they should be used it as far as the folks along the
Immeadiate route.

7 New stations as follows:

108/109 Aves
Linden Blvd
Foch Blvd
Baisley Blvd-N Rochdale
Farmers blvd-S Rochdale (current site of lirr locust manor stop)
Laurelton-225 St (luarelton lirr stop)
Rosedale-Francis Lewis blvd (rosedale lirr stop)

Considering that this was the plan in the 70s following the construction of rochdale village that holds some
25,000 people it really needs to be looked at again. The lirr does its justice...for those who can afford it.
But how about the majority who cant and this the low frequencies of the lirr trains that do stop at those 3 stations. Its a transit desert out there and its comtains over 100-200k people who currently rely on the longg bus rides to jamaica and those nasty A** dollar vans. It also takes the pressure of those buses converging at Jamaica.

As to building an Entirely new subway or EL along Merrick blvd and cuasing all that disruption I think the MTA could pull this off for relatively "cheap". The most expense would be the portal from
Subway to elevated around the york city college vicinity. Good thoughts welcomed
The MTA proposed this in the 70s and 80s but Southeastern Queens residents BLOCKED it because they want to remain low density and full of single family homes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2016, 03:28 PM
 
188 posts, read 103,928 times
Reputation: 81
In would think extending the R train from 86st street to Staten Island would be more urgent.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2016, 04:33 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,561,007 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The MTA proposed this in the 70s and 80s but Southeastern Queens residents BLOCKED it because they want to remain low density and full of single family homes.
Southeast Queens is fairly dense now and is mostly 2-4 family homes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 05:00 AM
 
30,341 posts, read 31,211,318 times
Reputation: 14006
How making the M a loop and connecting it from Metropolitan Avenue up to Queens Blvd.?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
2,285 posts, read 1,275,630 times
Reputation: 1049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.A View Post
In would think extending the R train from 86st street to Staten Island would be more urgent.

Is it something Staten Island residents want?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Bronx,NY
175 posts, read 175,963 times
Reputation: 133
Its a shame then if it was blocked by the residents...Imagine how much more there homes would be worth if they had the subway nearby and the convience of it smh...As far as density I dont see why subways mean more density...I cant help but think of the 2/5 Line North of Gunhill rd...Nothin but
Houses as far as the eye can see...The pjs are about midway between the wpr line and dyre line.
So I dont see why subways equal more density...jus sayin but its a thought
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 01:27 PM
 
23,260 posts, read 16,070,454 times
Reputation: 8536
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Southeast Queens is fairly dense now and is mostly 2-4 family homes.
That's still low density, and they are not clamoring for train service. The E will not get extended.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Downtown & Brooklyn!
1,951 posts, read 1,067,960 times
Reputation: 1638
I wish, but I don't think we'll be seeing any more subway expansions until after the Second avenue subway is complete. And who knows how long that'll be.

My favorite feasible subway expansion that will probably never happen in my lifetime is the Triboro line that would connect Brooklyn Queens and The Bronx without going through Manhattan, using an already existing freight rail line.

https://www.google.com/amp/ny.curbed...?client=safari

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2016, 05:05 AM
 
30,341 posts, read 31,211,318 times
Reputation: 14006
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I wish, but I don't think we'll be seeing any more subway expansions until after the Second avenue subway is complete. And who knows how long that'll be.

My favorite feasible subway expansion that will probably never happen in my lifetime is the Triboro line that would connect Brooklyn Queens and The Bronx without going through Manhattan, using an already existing freight rail line.

https://www.google.com/amp/ny.curbed...?client=safari
We already have the G which connects Brooklyn and Queens without going through Manhattan. A pipe dream would be to connect that up to the Bronx.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top