U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,023 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I have a couple of generell questions about moving to NYC:

-Has anybody informations how hard it is to find a job as a Software Engineer in NYC from abroad? And is it common to get a sponsoring for a working visa if a job offers fits to an foreign engineer?
I guess its not that difficult to find a job as Soft. Eng. in NYC, but I am not a greencard holder. So I have no clue how tough this most important point is going to be.

-What is the average salary for an Software Engineer in NYC? Due to most of the informations spread in the web, a Soft. Eng. earns about 100k annually in NYC. Ist that realistic?

-What is the cost of living in NYC (rent, and daily expenses)? I guess its not even possible to survive in NYC with less than 100k per year because of the high cost of living. I calculate with 3k for rent for a small 500 square foot apartment. Is that realistic in Harlem or a peaceful Brooklyn neighborhood?

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 01:08 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,086,754 times
1) - I can't answer that really. All of my friends from overseas have had differentiating ways that they got jobs and they all have some sort of visa that allow them to work in the states.

2) - I've learned that there's a huge disparity, but as a whole, it's higher here than the rest of the US except maybe the Bay Area. Most people I know in Software Engineering, including myself, make more than that average and I've seen salaries reach to $500k +bonus at the senior level.

3) - Depends on your lifestyle. I have calculated that I could survive at $40k in my current situation downtown in Manhattan and I live on my own. Of course, I like to do more than survive, but I digress. I know people would want bigger space, newer apartments, and amenities and so they would spend more. I have always lived with the sense that the city or town that I am in is my amenities and the community is more important than how you hole yourself up in your living space.

It is more than easy to rent for less than $3k in any neighborhood in the city, though obviously there are neighborhoods where you'd have to stretch. I will say that there's a huge difference between Harlem and a peaceful Brooklyn neighborhood. The latter is also broad and for me I'd consider Ditmas Park or Bath Beach a peaceful neighborhood whilst you might be referring more to Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights, which are realms more expensive. You will have no issue at $100k unless your standards are too high, but I'd suggest looking at getting a job first as you'll have that extra level of immigration that a lot of companies wouldn't be too happy to handle after the fact.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:20 PM

3,335 posts, read 3,125,061 times
It is harder than you thought in getting a job here from overseas.
It is easier that you figured to survive on a modest income, mainly depends on what you want/need.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:00 PM

849 posts, read 451,498 times
This is the first time I've ever said this but you are OVERestimating your rent costs. 3k for a 500 square foot apartment in Harlem? You can get one for half that, and a nice new one for two thirds.

If you want to be in a more trendy fun neighborhood you may get up to 3k, but honestly, I'd prefer to pay 1500 in harlem (which is what I do now) and take a 30 minute subway ride on the rare occaison I actually go to a trendy fun place (east village, chelsea, etc). Better than paying 2300 to live there in a smaller apartment.

If you manage to get a 100k starting job (extremely unlikely) you will be fine as long as you aren't blowing money on prostitutes and drugs every week...

Old 12-15-2016, 03:14 PM

563 posts, read 462,615 times
For beginning Manhattan might be too expensive, you can find cheaper places in Queens, Brooklyn,Bronx, Jersey City.. all in decent distance.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:54 PM

34 posts, read 16,924 times
jobs

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=softwa...er&l=NYC%2C+NY

salaries

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/n...15_KO14,31.htm

rent

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent...259_rect/9_zm/

Old 12-15-2016, 05:51 PM

4,911 posts, read 5,520,426 times
I can't fathom why anyone would want to move to NYC. It's overpriced, overrated, filthy, smelly, congested, etc.. it's over run with homeless and our public transportation system is a disaster.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:56 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,151,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I can't fathom why anyone would want to move to NYC. It's overpriced, overrated, filthy, smelly, congested, etc.. it's over run with homeless and our public transportation system is a disaster.
So why do you live here?

Old 12-15-2016, 07:04 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
There is no other public transit system in the US that even comes close to NYC's. And I'm not even going to go into all the other positives of NYC.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:39 PM

4,408 posts, read 2,265,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
So why do you live here?
There's a contingent of CD posters here that thinks they are helping to keep housing costs from rising/stop gentrification by discouraging people from moving to/badmouthing NYC.

If you read enough of their posts, you'll know who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or