U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 01:38 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,561 posts, read 623,533 times

Advertisements

I thought fur was out of fashion. In the Rustbelt I seldom see fur. I saw a good number of NYC gals wearing fur last night as I was browsing the Xmas windows. (Some designs looked a little outdated and may have been hand-me-downs.) The NYC gals are pretty stylish on the whole. Do you like a gal in fur or not? Generally, I do, as long as it looks good on her.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 03:03 PM

373 posts, read 326,813 times
No

Old 12-17-2016, 03:10 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,485,824 times
You were probably seeing a lot of faux fur. Also NYC women are are not fashion-forward these days. 90% of them wear nothing buy yoga pants and spandex :/ Same with men in their egg-shaped body looking grey tapered sweat pants. We truly have gone down hill fashion wise. So generic! How did this happen? Seeing everyone from four years old to forty years old wearing the same cliche crap?!

Old 12-17-2016, 05:34 PM

18,236 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
You were probably seeing a lot of faux fur. Also NYC women are are not fashion-forward these days. 90% of them wear nothing buy yoga pants and spandex :/ Same with men in their egg-shaped body looking grey tapered sweat pants. We truly have gone down hill fashion wise. So generic! How did this happen? Seeing everyone from four years old to forty years old wearing the same cliche crap?!

You don't know what you are talking about, again.....

Walk around the UES or even UWS along with other parts of Manhattan and you will see plenty of furs now that NYC is having cold weather. Heck go out to certain parts of Brooklyn (mostly the wealthier Jewish areas) and you'll see furs.

In Mid-town and other areas full of tourists, again you'll see women and some men in furs.

Overall yes, for various reasons the wearing of fur has declined. Some of this was simply due to lost of status as easy credit and cheap coats. Fred the Furrier and Daniel Antonovich along with others helped bring furs to the masses. When secretaries in your husband's office, or worse your cleaner start showing up in fur coats you know the thing has become too common.

With so many Russians/Eastern Europeans in NYC there is another reason to see furs. Fur is still very popular in that part of the world, and who can blame them, it gets darn cold over there and remains so for months on end.

Meanwhile here in the Northeast the gradual warming of winters means often it just doesn't get cold enough to warrant hauling out a fur coat. Even the expense of owning a fur or furs can be called into question when from say November until late March it may only get cold enough in total of sixty to ninety days (if that) that you need to wear.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:26 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,792,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

With so many Russians/Eastern Europeans in NYC there is another reason to see furs. Fur is still very popular in that part of the world, and who can blame them, it gets darn cold over there and remains so for months on end.

That's what I was going to say.
There are a lot of Russian-Americans in NYC. They seem to love to wear fur more than American-born New Yorkers.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:59 PM

18,236 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
That's what I was going to say.
There are a lot of Russian-Americans in NYC. They seem to love to wear fur more than American-born New Yorkers.

Probably goes a long way to explaining why many of the best furriers were Eastern Europeans (mostly but not all Jewish), and still remains so today IIRC.

Back when the "fur district" in the West 30's was far greater and more active most of the owners and workers were Eastern European Jewish or descent.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:04 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,485,824 times
someone has stock in the fur industry i see :/

most people who wear fur generally look like gerbils and roaches. sorry they just do

Old 12-17-2016, 07:18 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,792,553 times
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the look.

Also, it has really gone out of fashion to kill animals in order to wear a coat.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:33 PM

995 posts, read 718,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Same with men in their egg-shaped body looking grey tapered sweat pants.
Way to generalize ALL men. Sexist.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:23 AM

104 posts, read 133,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the look.

Also, it has really gone out of fashion to kill animals in order to wear a coat.
What about leather jackets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or