U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 12:44 PM

23,265 posts, read 16,104,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The whole point of this thread is that a group of people that had a home in three coastal cities are now forced (for economic reasons) to leave and live elsewhere. As a result, they are not able to live "anywhere they please," at least not in these three cities.
The article also suggested that improving conditions in terms of acceptance in the red states also meant that gay people felt more comfortable living in other places. It isn't a matter of just them being "forced" out, it's also that they feel more comfortable living in a wide variety of places.

I agree this isn't entirely a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 12:58 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,537,786 times
they'll turn the red sates blue

Old 12-17-2016, 01:30 PM

3,069 posts, read 6,143,731 times
Gays do get credit, in a lot of ways back in the day, for choosing to live in places which didn't have the best of living reputations. Many of them were able to take those places and transform them into either vibrant neighborhoods, vibrant cities, etc! See San Francisco, East Columbus, OH, places in New York like The Village, Harlem, Harlem, Park Slope and Bed Stuy, Brooklyn. (I am a witness to Park Slope and Bed Stuy!), There are documentaries and writing on these....!

And since we're talking 'gays going to red states', I have heard much about the African-American gay influence on Atlanta. Folk can confirm that one....!

With that said, as with any form of gentrification, places become so unaffordable that folk have to leave, regardless of race, income or orientation.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:49 PM

4,447 posts, read 2,280,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The article also suggested that improving conditions in terms of acceptance in the red states also meant that gay people felt more comfortable living in other places. It isn't a matter of just them being "forced" out, it's also that they feel more comfortable living in a wide variety of places.

I agree this isn't entirely a bad thing.
No, as usual you are wrong. Red states don't improve conditions for LGBTQ on their own. Growing numbers of this community moving in and start changing the political climate there. And the reason why they are growing in those places? They are forced out of the traditional liberal coastal cities because of economics so they go to cheaper red states. If the red states were expensive, they wouldn't be going there.

You, of course, are going to argue and come up with some nonsense just so you can get in the last word and be the NYC Citydata forum champ.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:53 PM

4,447 posts, read 2,280,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
People in this thread keep focusing on the fact that they are leaving because it has become economically infeasible to live in these liberal cities/states. But you're ignoring the fact of why that is the case. Part of it has to do with the types of politicians they have been electing and the policies they promote. And these gay people have almost certainly been voting for those same politicians. And now they are running away from their decisions and heading to another city state to presumably do the exact same thing.
This.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:16 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,033,330 times
A lot of my gay friends have left for my hometown of Detroit. While it's a liberal city, it's very much a Red State nowadays in Michigan. And very affordable with a robust and growing creative scene. One couple I know has amazing property there they bought during the housing crisis, an authentic Frank Lloyd Wright house they'd NEVER be able to afford here, furnished with authentic Murano glass chandeliers and beautiful artwork, interior design done by a local well-known professional. Over 3,000 square feet and a full yard with a garden and reflecting pool. I visited and it was restored as intended, absolutely stunning, in a safe area. They are able to afford it running a florist business in a wealthy nearby suburb. I can't really blame them. Before they lived in a smaller Brooklyn condo, had no yard, and nowhere near the quality of life they enjoy now from what I can tell. No one judges their lifestyle and they seem very happy. The only time it gets that way is when you get far out of the metro area and into the ultra-conservative parts. I'm pretty sure gay people know their way around this stuff quite well.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 12-17-2016 at 02:34 PM..

Old 12-17-2016, 02:33 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,496,168 times
I feel bad for Detroit (and other cities) getting brooklyn transplant transplants. Duh, it's good for those places, but where do you go when you don't want to live in a generic urban pioneer cornball mecca!?

Old 12-17-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
A lot of my gay friends have left for my hometown of Detroit. While it's a liberal city, it's very much a Red State nowadays in Michigan. And very affordable with a robust and growing creative scene. One couple I know has amazing property there they bought during the housing crisis, an authentic Frank Lloyd Wright house they'd NEVER be able to afford here, furnished with authentic Murano glass chandeliers and beautiful artwork, interior design done by a local well-known professional. Over 3,000 square feet and a full yard with a garden and reflecting pool. I visited and it was restored as intended, absolutely stunning, in a safe area. They are able to afford it running a florist business in a wealthy nearby suburb. I can't really blame them. Before they lived in a smaller Brooklyn condo, had no yard, and nowhere near the quality of life they enjoy now from what I can tell. No one judges their lifestyle and they seem very happy.
This piece just complimented my argument about gays living in places with not the best of living reps, and turning around! I used to frequent the website of soulfuldetroit.com, which showcases the history of music from out of the Motor City, in addition to Motown. The website showed some photos of quite a bit of abandoned property! One can tell those places were once grand!

It's gonna be very interesting to see Detroit in 10-15 years.....!

Old 12-17-2016, 02:39 PM

I was reading a Black Enterprise article, some time back, where an entrepreneur bought an abandoned hotel in Miami, and made it a happening spot! The lesson learned was "See value where others don't"! A lot of gays do a good job in that regard, and places like San Fran, East Columbus, Harlem, Bed Stuy, Atlanta, etc, have benefited.....!

Old 12-17-2016, 02:51 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,496,168 times
As a gay person myself (although I identify more as an autosexual/asexual), it gets tiresome seeing people talking about how gays make awful places great again. It's really only the gays with money who couple up, many times with with rich older men caring for poor younger men. It's quite a stereotype (while not a negative stereotype, it is a stereotype nonetheless and it would be nice is straight-indentifying humans stopped with saying gays save neighborhoods and make it better for others). Straight people (of all colors) have done just as much work in turning neighborhoods around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or