Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 6,109 times

Advertisements

Gay people bring gay rodeos and the Boom Boom clubs, the ones with the UNCE UNCE UNCE, that is the reason why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 08:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Ghouliani and Bloomturd turned a gay city straight. Straight up.

^^^^ 4stars^^^^

Old 02-16-2017, 07:53 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes it is a bad stigma. A few gays, or a few hundred gays moving into a neighborhood does not magically transform it. Many gays because of discrimination in the workforce only have access to low paying service sector jobs. There is NOT ENOUGH MONEY in the gay community to truly gentrify a significant part of any city. The gentrification is done by straight investors, straight governments passing public policies that encourage inner city investment, straight banks giving out the loans and mortgages, etc.
I think Gays open the door for other whites to move in. I think gays are often like the pioneers in the gentrification process. When whites see other whites living in these communities that they once may have feared living in (thinking that they may be targeted because they are white), they are more willing to take the risk and move there too.

Just a thought.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:06 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Eh, this is probably also an effect of homosexuality being more widely accepted now than probably anytime in America's past.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:15 AM

636 posts, read 610,842 times
Anybody got any stats on Chicago? Seems like the gay population is growing there (as Chi is still a relative low-cost alternative to NY, SF, and LA). Andersonville seems to be gradually creeping eastward...

Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Eh, this is probably also an effect of homosexuality being more widely accepted now than probably anytime in America's past.
This is also very true. In the sea of red, their are blue and purple areas where the LGBT culture can remain and thrive, a good example of this is Austin Texas which has a vibrant gay scene, as well as New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think Gays open the door for other whites to move in. I think gays are often like the pioneers in the gentrification process. When whites see other whites living in these communities that they once may have feared living in (thinking that they may be targeted because they are white), they are more willing to take the risk and move there too.

Just a thought.
I disagree with gays being the only pioneers. Other pioneer of gentrification are professional women and artisans. These three groups help propel gentrification. A good example of this is 1960s East Village which was full of gays, college educated professional Hillary Clinton type feminists and artists. 30 years later that same crowed was priced up and moved over to Williamsburg Brooklyn. The big problem is that NYC is a very expensive city. The Gays that can afford NYC don't have children, and can utilize their capital for different means where a straight person has to utilize their capital to live and not thrive depending on he or she have offsprings. NYC is becoming, more and more expensive and therefore the city will see folks who came to NYC and make a name for themselves and then end up leaving for good. Some folks will be happy for just a couple of block gay district like 6th street in Austin or East Bourbon street New Orleans, vs massive spread apart gay districts that NYC has to offer. One thing that I noticed about NYC is that its size of geographic distribution is similar to Philly, Chicago, Miami, Houston, but is similarly priced like smaller wealth capital driven magnet legacy cities such as SF, DC and Boston. When I went to Philadelphia last year to take an exam at Temple University, I was amazed that a can of soda cost 75 cents.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 AM

14 posts, read 15,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This as well. It used to be that the big cities were your only real option as a gay person, nowadays you can find a good pocket in just about any state.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:34 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Anybody got any stats on Chicago? Seems like the gay population is growing there (as Chi is still a relative low-cost alternative to NY, SF, and LA). Andersonville seems to be gradually creeping eastward...
My understanding is that Chicago has edged out NYC as far as percentage LGBT population, but neither is in the US top ten.

ETA: I take it back. But you aren't wrong about Chicago. And this data is 2015, so there is that.
Chicago 3.8%, NYC 4.0%.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/mort...y-cities-2015/

moar data here, but even older: http://www.usnews.com/dims4/USNEWS/3...e3-graphic.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City