Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:00 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,441 times

Advertisements

Hi folks--

It's looking like I'll be moving to metro NYC from not so far away (about 75 miles to the west) to start a job in Staten Island soon. While my leanings right now are New Jersey, I might consider housing in Staten Island or elsewhere in NYC.

Based on where my job will be (close to the eastern shore of Staten Island), I'd like to keep the commute within 30 minutes. Is this possible from anywhere outside of Staten Island? I suspect Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan are out of the question, given my price range, but correct me if I'm wrong. And, if Staten Island is a suitable option, what are some recommendations for good walkable neighborhoods with convenient access to the ferry?

Here's my goal: 1BR apartment with a washer and dryer in the unit, and my range is $1200 to $1800 a month. I'm going to have to keep my car (not a surprise since my job is Staten Island) and while a dedicated off-street space would be nice, I can deal as long as on-street parking isn't too big of a nightmare. Would like to have easy access to light rail into central Jersey City. The apartment can be pretty small if necessary.

Any apartment suggestions, and, based on those suggestions, any thoughts on what the realistic commute might be to the eastern shore (not what Google Maps tells us!)?

If you have any recommendations for good property managers in the area, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 02:07 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
Southern Bayonne, NJ seems up your alley if you want light rail to Jersey City.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:50 PM

432 posts, read 551,674 times
What is it that you are seeking in a place to live?

Old 02-13-2017, 07:06 PM

56 posts, read 91,707 times
If you want to consider living on the Island look at Darcey Apts which is mid-island next to the entrance of CSI. They offer studio and 1br apts with washer/dryer hookups and a parking spot comes with every apt. You either get a patio or a terrace depending on the floor you are on. They also take care of shoveling the snow except you are responsible for cleaning your own car. I lived there for 4 years with my girlfriend and now wife and daughter. Our rent back in 2010 started at $1050 and when moving last year they offered us $1200 if we signed a 2yr lease with them for the renewal.

Apartments were always very quiet, have full carpeting and the grounds themselves are very well maintained by the staff. There is a broker fee when dealing with the exclusive broker but to me it was worth it because of everything that was offered. My family would have stayed there but they don't offer more than 1br.

When driving from the mid-island to the east shore the commute is usually 15 minutes or so. In the worst traffic it's taken me closer to 25 to 30 min. Only issue might be snow because to cut across the island requires taking some very large hills.

PM me if you want the contact info for the Darcey Apts.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:31 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,441 times
Thanks folks--and I appreciate the pointers on Darcey, square 85! I'll do some further research and will PM you if I need more details on Darcey.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I'd like to keep the commute within 30 minutes. Is this possible from anywhere outside of Staten Island?

No

<Lord, after all this time, is it possible for some administrator to repair the QUOTE function?>

Old 02-14-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I'd like to keep the commute within 30 minutes. Is this possible from anywhere outside of Staten Island?

No
Yes, Bay Ridge right on the other side of the bridge but it may be hard to find a rental with washer dryer in your price range.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square85 View Post
Yes, Bay Ridge right on the other side of the bridge but it may be hard to find a rental with washer dryer in your price range.

Can you get across the VZN in 30 minutes at rush hour?

Old 02-14-2017, 09:29 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square85 View Post
Also, given your price range, I'm guessing bridge toll would eat you alive ($220+_/mo). Given a 30 minute commute to east shore SI, a $1.2k-1.8k 1bdrm w/ washer dryer in unit? Pretty sure you're looking on SI.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Can you get across the VZN in 30 minutes at rush hour?
Yes, usually only takes 2 min when there is no traffic. In the worst traffic, it can take 10 min to get across the bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City