U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:39 AM

80 posts, read 30,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyzers View Post
Sorry, my feed did not refresh and I didn't get to see the other replies that were helpful. Tthank you to those of you who are posting the positive replies. I really truly do appreciate it.

Also yes, I am NOT going to be away from the apartment accept on errands or for date outings with my husband, I am resigning from my job prior to moving. My husband is being relocated to NYC for his position which is the reason for the move.

I am very caring to my animals and am not concerned they wouldn't get enough outside time because I am deticated. Also, they are truly amazing dogs and do not mind at all the days that are simply potty breaks and being couch potatoes. But all the same, I enjoy getting out just as much as they do. I'm used to taking them out and not get letting them out as I currently own a home that is large, but does not have a yard that accommodates much play room.
All this extra information was not mentioned in your first post. People thought that it would be you and 'Fido' and 'Spot' moving to NYC so they gave answers based on that.

Have you tried reaching out to rental agencies in New York City? They might know of places that might accept dogs that large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 11:39 AM

250 posts, read 444,936 times
You say you want to be as near to midtown as possible--what does that mean? How far would you/your husband be willing to commute?

Old 12-21-2016, 01:52 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,233,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.
+2 You will find it near impossible to get a rental with any "restricted" breed. Not just in NYC either. Anywhere pretty much. My advice to anyone. If you are a renter...honestly do not get ANY dogs. Especially a restricted breed one at that. Sorry...but landlords have the right to say no & most DO. My suggestion is find place you can afford & buy. Besides like that other person said. Even with that budget in NYC you will not get a place large enough for 2 dogs like that. Wrong on so many levels. Try NJ. Even in Queens since you mentioned Astoria you will hit roadblocks with those dogs. Liability with those restricted breeds is too high for most landlords.

Everyone says "Oh my dog is the sweetest best dog there is". LOL...I laugh at that every time. Why would anyone say "But my dog makes it hard for me to find a rental because he is HORRIBLE". I mean really. Some just hope they get a stupid landlord that will fall for the lies & give them a chance. Only for the tenant to have the last laugh.

SEEN it happen since I have worked in the "vetting" industry for landlords. No one takes restricted breeds anymore. And the landlords I still work with all say if they would even consider ANY pets that they want to do a Pet Interview first. And we have a veterinarian be there (Luckily we know 1 & he does it as a favor).

Can't tell you now many times prospective tenants show up for pet interview with their pet DRUGGED! We did not tell them a vet would be present at pet interview. It shocked them. And YES the vet called & reported it as it was his duty. A few did show up with a DIFFERENT dog too. Their FB page (yes some are that stupid) clearly shows the pet they showed up with was NOT their pet that was going to live with them.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:11 PM

18,304 posts, read 11,693,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyzers View Post
Hi New Yorker's,

▪️So I have a budget of $3,000-3,500
▪️I'm looking to be as near Midtown as possible (have been looking at and likening areas as far out as the Astoria area)
▪️I have two large dogs,
one 12 yr old -70lbs- Neutered (male) Goldendoodle
& one 3yr old -40lbs- Spayed (female) American Pitbull
Both are very well trained and friendly to all.
▪️Safe areas are key for general reasons as well as the fact that my husband and I are expecting out first child soon.

I'm looking for a place that would in particular allow my pitty. I'm more than happy to get County Vet reccomendatiins, Former leasing company statements etc. Im fully confident my pitty can and would pass a meet and greet, the only issue there is I currently live in Arizona so the only time such an event could take place is right before the keys are handed over which means I'd need to be sure the leasing agent wouldn't pull a last second "well she's totally sweet but..." sort of thing.

So with all that said could I get some advice/reccomendatiins as to apartment buildings or a leasing agent that would allow both my dogs?

I really appreciate your informative and relevant replies.
Brick Underground

Old 12-21-2016, 07:55 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,069,765 times
Hi. I used to live with a Goldendoodle in Brooklyn. He was my roommates dog, but when I lived there it felt like he was just as much mine too. I loved that dog. Goldendoodles are really cool.

Anyways I'm gonna try to give you some advice. So you want to be in or near Midtown to be in "the heart" of the city, but you're not going to have to commute there for work though, right? Because if you're not gonna work there I personally strongly recommend not living in Midtown. Midtown kind of sucks. It is "the heart" of the city in the way that it is the main CBD and where all the jobs and main tourist attractions are. It's not a place where locals really hang out. It's also not a good area for dogs at all, unless you're right by Central Park.

I recommend:
1. somewhere inbetween Midtown and Financial District (downtown CBD). I feel like this part of Manhattan is the real "heart of the city" for locals and fun, non-work related things, and much more dog-friendly than midtown, and more interesting too. There are a wide-variety of very distinct and unique neighborhoods in this area. How familiar are you with NYC? Have you been here before?

2. UES, UWS, or Harlem near Central Park. Central Park is gigantic and great for dogs. You and your dogs would have a great time exploring it. It's very different but equally enjoyable in all 4 seasons too.

As far as leading agents or specific buildings, I don't know anything about that, butYou have a pretty decent budget, and you could probably find a decent place.

But aboit Midtown again: it's really not as exciting as you think. It's extremely overcrowded and full of all work/office oriented stuff, overpriced tourist traps, obnoxious tourists, and chain restaurants. And it's really not a good place for dogs, especially two big ones. I don't think Midtown is good for humans either, lol.
There are so many other parts of Manhattan that are way more interesting.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:01 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,494,372 times
quote:
Goldendoodles are really cool.

stop

Old 12-22-2016, 08:04 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,069,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
Goldendoodles are really cool.

stop
I lived with one in Brooklyn for ~2 years. I don't get why everyone's saying it's not possible to have one in NYC. It's fine.

You guys should stop if you're just here to judge OP instead of trying to help

Old 12-22-2016, 08:44 AM

601 posts, read 943,462 times
+1 on living in Midtown blowing. That said, I moved here from AZ as well 10+ years ago, and the ex-wife would have been perfectly happy living in midtown, going to the same chain restaurants (TGI, Planet Hollywood, etc.) in midtown and living there. OP sounds young (which isn't meant in a derogatory way), maybe she _would_ like living in midtown. Dunno. I moved here with two Great Danes and a Boxer. All three were lazy as could be and were perfectly suited to apartment life, with regular walks and dog park visits. Most large breeds are. You can find places that will allow your dogs. It probably won't be easy. It sounds like you have some funds, I'm not a real estate type or anything but perhaps investing in a good broker would help you turn something up. Personally, I just called every ad I saw and opened with, Hey I Have Dogs, and got like 90-95+% no ways. That left 5-10% OKs-maybes and eventually ended up giving me a few options to choose from. It was a full-time job for a week or two and I literally made hundreds of calls. Good luck. Also worth mentioning, I had zero luck with large corporate type front lines. Success was exclusively found directly with owners, and with single owners fronted by management that were willing to take my case to them. I suspect that dynamic may make midtown more difficult than some other areas for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or