Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 01:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times

Advertisements

DOGS DON'T BELONG IN APARTMENTS! That's cruelty! If you love your dogs offload them before moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 01:37 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
^ stop it, just stop it right there. Dogs are pack animals and YES they can live in tight spaces, they actually LOVE it. As long as they are walked at least 3 times a day and get exercise, they do NOT mind living in tight quarters with their humans. THEY PREFER IT being pack animals and all. Dogs are the ONLY animal in the world that has domesticated amongst us with a give and take attitude. While I think the OP is nuts with their expectations (although to be fair, I hope they find a place with with their pooches), small spaces has nothing to do with it. Now if the dogs were in metal cages all day long that is a different story.

You know what ELSE doesn't belong in apartments? Kids. There, I said it!

Old 12-18-2016, 01:50 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
You're gonna run into a lot of issues with the "goldendoodle". Some advice, I think landlords would rather hear you say you are bringing in a bunch of pitbulls (which you have one apparently) than say goldendoodle, especially one that large. Those designer breeds = high maintenance tenant. Everyone knows that.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:18 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
walked at least 3 times a day and get exercise
Stop it, just stop it right there!! Unless this person is rich and/or retired, then those dogs will be ALONE 8-10 hours a day in a small apartment bored and restless while OP works.

Not a good idea.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:24 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyzers View Post
Hi New Yorker's,

▪️So I have a budget of $3,000-3,500
▪️I'm looking to be as near Midtown as possible (have been looking at and likening areas as far out as the Astoria area)
▪️I have two large dogs,
one 12 yr old -70lbs- Neutered (male) Goldendoodle
& one 3yr old -40lbs- Spayed (female) American Pitbull
Both are very well trained and friendly to all.
▪️Safe areas are key for general reasons as well as the fact that my husband and I are expecting out first child soon.

I'm looking for a place that would in particular allow my pitty. I'm more than happy to get County Vet reccomendatiins, Former leasing company statements etc. Im fully confident my pitty can and would pass a meet and greet, the only issue there is I currently live in Arizona so the only time such an event could take place is right before the keys are handed over which means I'd need to be sure the leasing agent wouldn't pull a last second "well she's totally sweet but..." sort of thing.

So with all that said could I get some advice/reccomendatiins as to apartment buildings or a leasing agent that would allow both my dogs?

I really appreciate your informative and relevant replies.
Rent at Wam or Wham. They allow all sorts of dogs. 3500 will net you a studio.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 4,356 times
Again, I was asking for information and relevant replies, not for judgement and stupidity. It's not selfish to try everything I can to keep the dogs I have cared for for over 12 and 3 years. Selfish would be abandoning the responsibility of caring for my animals. I am very simply not that type of person. Also, just because I'd live in a small place doesn't mean they'd only ever STAY there. I don't know about you, but I don't take my dogs running or throw the ball in my house. I take them out, and often. As my twelve year old dog proves, I am far from a selfish and uncaring dog owner.

I was asking very simply for the kind people of New York to give be leads to places that might accept them. My plan is not to live in the city for more than a year so it would be a one time 12-month lease.

Thank you to iammax and jad2k for at least giving me some ideas. I truly appreciate it.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:49 PM

Sorry, my feed did not refresh and I didn't get to see the other replies that were helpful. Tthank you to those of you who are posting the positive replies. I really truly do appreciate it.

Also yes, I am NOT going to be away from the apartment accept on errands or for date outings with my husband, I am resigning from my job prior to moving. My husband is being relocated to NYC for his position which is the reason for the move.

I am very caring to my animals and am not concerned they wouldn't get enough outside time because I am deticated. Also, they are truly amazing dogs and do not mind at all the days that are simply potty breaks and being couch potatoes. But all the same, I enjoy getting out just as much as they do. I'm used to taking them out and not get letting them out as I currently own a home that is large, but does not have a yard that accommodates much play room.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
You're gonna run into a lot of issues with the "goldendoodle". Some advice, I think landlords would rather hear you say you are bringing in a bunch of pitbulls (which you have one apparently) than say goldendoodle, especially one that large. Those designer breeds = high maintenance tenant. Everyone knows that.
That is a good point lol. I feel like either way though the landlord cringes. What truly sucks is that my goldendoodle was bought when I was about 11 years of old (and before the breed became such a fad) due to the fact that he is hypoallergenic and my mother is allergic. My 11 year old self wanted a big dog but one which my mothers asthma could tolerate. He's been my "gentle giant" and constant companion ever since.

I can see why the designer breed can bring that assumption though. The ironic part is that while my husband and I are driven people, we are just about the most easy going and uncomplicated people ever. We have workedand work hard to just enjoy a simple life with our animals haha.

I originally started this thread after finding the perfect apartment in Weehawken, NJ right by Lincoln Tunnel that met all of our hopes for criteria (including large dogs) but when I called up the complex and asked directly about their being "large dog friendly" she replied with "weight doesn't really matter as much as breed" Before I could get Pitbull out of my mouth and she was like "oh no". I asked if I could do anything to qualify my Pitbull including intake/brehavior health paperwork from the county pound she was adopted from, letters from her county vet in regards to her pefect mental(and otherwise) record and she just said no no no.

I mean this place had a dog park in the roof and a dog park across the street and they are denying dogs just because of a breed. Even with me willing to do anything and everything to prove my dog has never been the slightest bit aggressive.

I'm ranting though now...lol.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:55 PM

539 posts, read 523,646 times
Try Astoria, or look into like dog daycare type place. You can get a small 2 BR in like the Upper Eastside in Yorkville for that. Might have to use a broker tho with the pet

Old 12-21-2016, 08:12 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:

yes but the same people make assumptions about pitbull owners too - ie hood / low class / crusty-druggie

So get a collie or a dachshund or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City