Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 03:25 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

In 2013, this makes the odds of a person winning not all that great it would seem.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2312553
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 03:33 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Oh, that is distressing.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:59 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Well,the trick is to be sure of the income guidelines and be sure you qualify before applying. If you do that your odds are greatly increased. 1/2 the people who apply for these units are just above or just below the stated income guidelines and think somehow they will squeak by. They don't because if your income is 10 cents above or below they will reject you.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Well,the trick is to be sure of the income guidelines and be sure you qualify before applying. If you do that your odds are greatly increased. 1/2 the people who apply for these units are just above or just below the stated income guidelines and think somehow they will squeak by. They don't because if your income is 10 cents above or below they will reject you.
So that raises your chances to 1 in 350.
(I guess the secret is to make sure you sign up for 350 buildings.)

Old 08-04-2015, 08:17 AM

110 posts, read 218,673 times
I have no idea how I got so lucky, but I managed to get on the waiting list for 3 mid income places! Masaryk (super high log number), Penn South (pretty low #, but I requested a 1br w/ balcony which probably set me back a few years..) and Hunter's Point South (pretty high log # but I was SHOCKED to get a call last week and am going to check out studios there on Sat). I've never wanted to live in Queens, but LIC doesn't seem too bad since it's close. Plus it will be really hard to turn down a rent stabilized studio in such an nice, new building. I'm planning to move there if I get offered the place and just wait out Penn South. With my luck, moving there will speed up my place on the Penn South list and I'll get offered a place the day my boxes are unpacked. But hey, if that's what it takes! I basically apply to every lottery that I qualify for because, hey, ya never know. I really wish I'd known about these lotteries when I moved to NYC 10 years ago and was making $35K in my first job out of college!!

Old 08-04-2015, 09:48 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
I got to view the TPT homes, but it was 350 sq ft 1bd walkup for $1554 in Harlem 124th st. That was the straw that made me sign for the rent stabilized $1600 studio in the Lower East Side. I've also got rejected for the Knickerbocker Village Mitchell-Lama. I think I'll just casually apply to the Mitchell-Lama's that I care about as these lotteries are over what I'm paying for anyways.

I really messed up with Penn South though. I had no permanent address living in Brooklyn when they were accepting applications and felt that I wouldn't make it. Now I see I should have applied anyways.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Yeah I also missed the boat on Penn South. Bums me out. I make too much to qualify for most lotteries, so slim pickings.

(I also work like 3 blocks from Penn South....talk about a dream commute!)

Old 08-04-2015, 02:23 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
I don't know how that got that number but I would say its way off and harder. As I posted on another thread I am #31,000. They are only 16 apartments available and I qualify for only 5.... So et's use that lottery as an example.
Let's pretend I'm the highest number. Roughly lets just say everyone applying can fit income of all 16 apartments. Divide 31000 by 16 and you get 1937 people applying for each apartment. But you know there are most likely thousands more behind me so say roughly 2000 people apply per available apartment. Not 700

Old 08-05-2015, 10:20 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
No surprise. If the NYC subsidized a pizza parlor and they could sell pizza for 25 cents a slice, there would be an endless number of people waiting on line to get pizza every moment the pizza parlor was open.

Mayor De Bozo thinks he has the brilliance and ingenuity to end the affordability crisis by adding these units. He can't. The more that are offered the more people want them. The waiting list will be just as long in two years, hopefully the time when he is booted out of office.

And these affordable units, other than maybe for city workers who are totally disabled because of work related injuries, should be leased for a maximum of four years. This will give the person time to get an education and/or save money. After four years you are out, and another person is given the the cheap apartment. What entitles some artist hipster dude to a cheap apartment for the rest of his life?

Old 08-05-2015, 10:41 PM

624 posts, read 982,218 times
You offer something very valuable and rare for much less than whats its worth. Of course you'll get mobs of people trying to get in. This is the most basic economics. I'm surprised its only 700. Many of these affordable buildings have amenities and locations that us hard working tax paying middle class market rent paying people could never dream of affording.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City