U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 05:15 AM

5,054 posts, read 5,989,924 times

Advertisements

Hey, New York, hey, New Yorkers, your skyline reaches stratospheric heights in numbers and elevations that literally blows away any other American city. You are so juiced that even Brooklyn joins Manhattan in the act, set to get its own super tall structure. More to come.

The growth is wrapped up in your incredible success and desirability. The monied interests love you and shower you with gleaming new towers from the pencil thin condos of billionaire row to the fanciful new geometric shapes of Hudson Yards to a new downtown that is building to midtown height. Never so true are you A #1, king of the hill, top of the heap.

But what I don't know is this: how to the average New Yorkers, the people of the city, feel about the skyline-on-steroids growth?

Are you happy with the perfusion of giant new towers rising from downtown to midtown with all their inherent amenities (too many to mention....but just consider the shopping alone and what new locations for Nordstrom, Saks and Neimans mean for Manhattan). How do the new towers play out for you: from the ground and their effect on density (although I suspect much of Billionaires Row adds little in density for what is in essence very part-time homes for billionaires). Do you like how the new skyline looks? from across the water in Jersey or Brooklyn or on the ground in Manhattan.

Yours is a success story and you are unquestionably awarded with riches. What I don't know is this: how do you feel about it, do you like it not. You've been given so much, but do you or do you not like what you have become.

Please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 07:29 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,069,765 times
I love it. I love seeing all this growth in the skyline. It's exciting to me. Especially Hudson yards.
Hudson yards is insane, how they're building on top of a railyard like that. For my entire life there was never anything there, then all the sudden a whole new neighborhood popped up out of nowhere with buildings taller than the Empire State.

And it's not just Brooklyn that's becoming a part of it. Look at Long Island City in Queens too. LIC has proposals for a supertall too.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:25 AM

3,038 posts, read 8,274,339 times
I think the supertalls in NYC are overdue. Finally, New York's skyline is booming to try to reclaim it's status as skyscraper capital, or at least "within the top 10 cities for supertalls" again.

On the ground to everyday New Yorkers though, I don't think they notice or care unless the construction blocks the sidewalk, street, or they live or work by the construction noise.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:56 AM

9,967 posts, read 8,460,132 times
The higher the better.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think the supertalls in NYC are overdue. Finally, New York's skyline is booming to try to reclaim it's status as skyscraper capital, or at least "within the top 10 cities for supertalls" again.

On the ground to everyday New Yorkers though, I don't think they notice or care unless the construction blocks the sidewalk, street, or they live or work by the construction noise.
I agree. I don't like the fact that we've fallen behind in the first place. I love that it's spreading to outsiden of Manhattan too.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:29 AM

601 posts, read 943,462 times
It's disconcerting in Brooklyn, still getting used to that. I'm not against it, though.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 AM

4,139 posts, read 5,953,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
So true. The only people here who spend their time looking up are tourists.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:52 AM

11,831 posts, read 7,714,980 times
The light pollution is getting out of control. The night sky doesn't even look black anymore. It's always purple or grey with the lights reflected back.

Much rather see the stars.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:53 AM

894 posts, read 918,411 times
Brooklyn's new high rises are completely blocking off Manhattan's view which is disconcerting. Plus that just means our rents will continue to sky rocket and welcomes more douche midwesterns/rich foreigners. Hopefully it creates more jobs but the average person doesn't exactly prosper because of it, it is not like the average NYer is all of a sudden able to afford to actually shop at Saks and Neimans...

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 12-19-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 12:21 PM

I think Long Island City in Queens has had the most dramatic transformation so far, out of anywhere. At least until the supertall in Brooklyn goes up.

There's a proposal for a supertall in LIC too, but I don't think it's a sure thing yet. But the one in brooklyn I believe preparation work is already underway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or