U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-26-2016, 05:45 AM
 
6,841 posts, read 4,441,994 times
Reputation: 7623

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
I know this is not the theme of the thread, but I would like to ask about visiting the Apollo Theather.

Is it commom and safe for nonblack visitors to go by their own, by subway for exemple, to the Theather?

How are nonblack visitors received in the sorroundings and in the Theather itself?
what part of brazil do you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2016, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,162 posts, read 26,460,446 times
Reputation: 9039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
I know this is not the theme of the thread, but I would like to ask about visiting the Apollo Theather.

Is it commom and safe for nonblack visitors to go by their own, by subway for exemple, to the Theather?

How are nonblack visitors received in the sorroundings and in the Theather itself?

Of course it is perfectly safe. Back of the balcony is a horrible seat. (Had it for the Sammy Davis tribute <From Sammy With Love> earlier in the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2016, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Brazil
1,237 posts, read 924,645 times
Reputation: 641
I live in Petrópolis, RJ state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2016, 07:12 PM
 
703 posts, read 280,173 times
Reputation: 1371
NYC lifer here.

If you werent here in the 80s or 90s you dont know what the violent street crime was like.

Better to be called racist, than to let your guard down and surrender situational awareness of your surroundings.

Thats how you survive on the street.

Otherwise you become a victim and statistic.

at best you get sucker punched and live to learn your lesson. Maybe lose your iphone

at worst you get your head stomped in, maybe a loved one too, and end up six feet under.

It's a hard knock life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 02:20 AM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,569,598 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
NYC lifer here.

If you werent here in the 80s or 90s you dont know what the violent street crime was like.

Better to be called racist, than to let your guard down and surrender situational awareness of your surroundings.

Thats how you survive on the street.

Otherwise you become a victim and statistic.

at best you get sucker punched and live to learn your lesson. Maybe lose your iphone

at worst you get your head stomped in, maybe a loved one too, and end up six feet under.

It's a hard knock life
Okay tough guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 04:54 AM
 
Location: Brazil
1,237 posts, read 924,645 times
Reputation: 641
So, anyone that isn't black have been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Bronx, New York
3,067 posts, read 6,141,402 times
Reputation: 1229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
I know this is not the theme of the thread, but I would like to ask about visiting the Apollo Theather.

Is it commom and safe for nonblack visitors to go by their own, by subway for exemple, to the Theather?

How are nonblack visitors received in the sorroundings and in the Theather itself?
Metallica didn't have a problem with the Apollo (the band performed in 2013)

The numerous foreign tourists who visit that spot virtually everyday, just to take pics, don't have a problem with it!

The numbers of whites who bought property in Harlem over the years (plenty!) have no problem with it!

If this was 1978, I would say 'visit at your own risk', regardless of race, creed, etc! (LOL!) (my cousins and I almost got robbed coming home from a Sylvers concert!). But these days, that strip of One-Two-Five is THE safest and busiest spot in Harlem! You have absolutely no problems there. Enjoy the Apollo, and if you can catch an Amateur Night.....!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 PM
 
23,263 posts, read 16,088,546 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
If you generally don't like the work environment, that's one thing. But if it's because one person or multiple people doesn't like you, that's weak. Nobody is going to be liked ALL of the time by EVERYONE at their jobs. That's just the way it is.

I work as a technician in an IT department at a large college in the city. And I am going to strongly disagree with your assessment of how people move up. I don't know if you've noticed but some of the nastiest people you'll ever meet seem to be in charge of a lot of places. From public to private sector, there are terrible bosses/managers everywhere. And they didn't switch to being crappy people the day they were promoted.

And I don't know about getting a job through connections. I get my jobs because I am good at what I do. I apply to jobs and I interview and that's it. I've never been to a networking event, and I probably never will. I wouldn't like those kinds of events.

And no, At my current job, there is someone that most people don't really like, but he has been promoted. Why? Because he is effective at his job. Even though the boss knows that he's annoying. Your skills trump everything else in my opinion. Companies, especially in technical fields, aren't going to fire someone simply because someone else, even a manager doesn't like them. They're there to make money, not help everyone become best friends.



White men talk crap about white women all of the time in public. When Trump insulted Fiorina and said "look at that face...would anyone vote for THAT?", there was a lot of people criticizing him. I know what Paladino meant when he said that about M. Obama. He meant that she is ugly, which plenty of people (including myself) agree with. But he could have just said that without the racial element of the gorilla and there wouldn't be much of an issue. And don't forget that people (including white people) said as much about George Bush during his presidency. They called him a monkey and made photos of him eating bananas. They burned him in effigy. No President escapes it.
Skills don't always trump connections. You seem to assume all employment is fortune 500 publically traded companies. Not at all true. Depending on the nature and business, people may hire those close to them such as friends, relatives, other close colleagues, classmates, etc.

The better opportunities can be working with people who know how to create new businesses, and for that you do need to be very close to someone to even know of the opportunity.

Nobody on this thread suggested that someone is going to be best friends with everyone at their job. However if people generally don't like you at a company in GENERAL, there is definitely a good chance you could be let go regardless of your skills and one anecdotal case proves nothing. As for whether a company would fire someone because a manager doesn't like them, it depends on the influence of the manager and what the manager has on them.

Paladino interjected the racial element in there, so we know what he meant. He was deliberate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2016, 06:21 PM
 
4,176 posts, read 5,306,803 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
White men talk crap about white women all of the time in public. When Trump insulted Fiorina and said "look at that face...would anyone vote for THAT?", there was a lot of people criticizing him. I know what Paladino meant when he said that about M. Obama. He meant that she is ugly, which plenty of people (including myself) agree with. But he could have just said that without the racial element of the gorilla and there wouldn't be much of an issue. And don't forget that people (including white people) said as much about George Bush during his presidency. They called him a monkey and made photos of him eating bananas. They burned him in effigy. No President escapes it.
I'm probably less fond of the Obamas than Paladino but he really did step in it. There isn't a lot of ambiguity with respect to racial animus when you equate a black woman to a gorilla. If you look at his clarification (where he said the Obamas are enemies of America and progressivism is bad), I'd argue that most of what he said is correct (despite the hyperbolic language).

The reason his comments were so bad is that they reinforce a narrative (largely false) that opponents of Obama are motivated largely by racism or disdain of minorities. It really feeds into confirmation bias and painting the other side with a broad brush -- makes the outreach to minorities that much harder. I know lots of people who consider Obama an awful President and his race is never mentioned as one of his negatives -- we tend to be just as critical of white liberals, as it's the ideology that we oppose and find so detrimental to the nation's well-being. In the same vein, we tend to speak highly of minorities that share our conservative philosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2016, 12:04 AM
 
785 posts, read 345,454 times
Reputation: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Skills don't always trump connections. You seem to assume all employment is fortune 500 publically traded companies. Not at all true. Depending on the nature and business, people may hire those close to them such as friends, relatives, other close colleagues, classmates, etc.

The better opportunities can be working with people who know how to create new businesses, and for that you do need to be very close to someone to even know of the opportunity.

Nobody on this thread suggested that someone is going to be best friends with everyone at their job. However if people generally don't like you at a company in GENERAL, there is definitely a good chance you could be let go regardless of your skills and one anecdotal case proves nothing. As for whether a company would fire someone because a manager doesn't like them, it depends on the influence of the manager and what the manager has on them.

Paladino interjected the racial element in there, so we know what he meant. He was deliberate.
I have no idea what you mean when you say I assume all employment is Fortune 500 companies. That doesn't even make any sense. How could all employment be at Fortune 500 companies? The overwhelming majority of businesses in this country are small businesses.

If the businesses that you are working with/at are hiring people close to them, and you're finding yourself in a situation where people at the company GENERALLY don't like you, then maybe the problem isn't people at the company. I mean, I thought you were talking about one person with whom you might have a problem, but if it's with people in general, then maybe you need to start considering that you are the one with the problem.

And yes, Paladino injected a racial element. I'm not defending him, I was challenging your statement that white men don't talk about white women in public. It's just not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I'm probably less fond of the Obamas than Paladino but he really did step in it. There isn't a lot of ambiguity with respect to racial animus when you equate a black woman to a gorilla. If you look at his clarification (where he said the Obamas are enemies of America and progressivism is bad), I'd argue that most of what he said is correct (despite the hyperbolic language).

The reason his comments were so bad is that they reinforce a narrative (largely false) that opponents of Obama are motivated largely by racism or disdain of minorities. It really feeds into confirmation bias and painting the other side with a broad brush -- makes the outreach to minorities that much harder. I know lots of people who consider Obama an awful President and his race is never mentioned as one of his negatives -- we tend to be just as critical of white liberals, as it's the ideology that we oppose and find so detrimental to the nation's well-being. In the same vein, we tend to speak highly of minorities that share our conservative philosophy.
I view Obama as an awful President, but it obviously has nothing to do with his race, as we are of the same race. The funny thing is that there are people who hate Obama because of his race (I don't think anyone would deny that racists/white supremacists still exist, even though it is blown out of proportion by the media and ascribed to EVERY person who opposes Obama), but those people also hate white Presidents like Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter for being friendly with and supporting policies that (supposedly) helped minorities instead of white Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top