U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
While there have been some good, credible points made on this thread by NYWriterDude, Caribny, and others, Anonimuso, you are making way too much sense! Your perceptions and thinking so closely mirrors my own, that I'm shocked. I too grew up in the hood and after becoming an adult have traveled extensively all over the country including the hoods. There is no more than 0.02% difference in the mentality from one hood to the other whether in the south, east coast, or west coast. I agree with you wholeheartedly about the absence of parental direction and guidance and a seriously LAX attitude toward their children's education as the biggest factor affecting the Black community. I've said as much on this board in years past.

I don't know if Caribny still remembers but he argued me down a few years ago when I've said what I'm about to say here again. I'm not saying all BM students behave this way but a large percentage do as school administrators, teachers, counselors, and social workers can attest. The problem is many BM students instead of applying themselves and dedicating themselves to do well academically many are playing around, cutting up, and BS-ing in school (starting in later elementary years) and it's not checked. It's laughed at by those around them and encouraged. They are not held accountable by their family.

Their trivializing of education only gets worse from middle school throughout high school where its' synthesized with over-the-top bravado/machismo and low-life thug behavior. C(rap) music is their soundtrack of choice and it keeps them racing for the bottom. The few brave souls who attempt to buck the trend do so at a severe risk to their physical and mental well-being as there is a contingent that vehemently opposes other Blacks from trying to do better/assert themselves for a better life and future. The bs-ing around in school towards education is the reason the majority of BM at age 18 until far in their late 30's or 40's are totally UNPREPARED to enter adulthood without mama, grandmama, auntie, or babymama (in her govt issue apt) having to house and feed them for a large part of their adult lives.

The school administration is blamed for these student's failures, teachers are blamed, and of course RACISM is blamed. True, all of these entities played a part howbeit a small one. The lion's share of blame should be on the PARENT(s) who failed their child, especially their sons. Entertainment was and continues to be placed far above education by both parent and child. Entertainment activities are chosen over educational activities. Hence, most have raised men-children who have no idea of how to achieve success in society other than trying to make quick money: selling drugs, robbing/theft, or dreaming of making it as pro-ball player, or rap artist. Consequently, barring an early violent death they continue to engage in behaviors which have a revolving door pipeline from jail to prison to release back to mom/grandmom/auntie/babymama's house. Rinse, repeat.

A good friend of mine who lives in northern CA and I talk about issues in our community all the time. A good guy friend of hers always say "it's like each generation (African-Americans) has to start over at square one. There is so much that no one talks to us about (parents, community, the Black church) and we have to figure everything out on our own". So true.
Again if ALL Black MALE students were straight A students, most of them still would not become well off because there's only a small number of professional jobs.

Most kids in general cut up, and that's basically public school in general. I've taught disinterested Asian and white kids, and large numbers of young white people do drugs.

As for entertainment, depending on the entertainment can be more important than education. As a former teacher, I would say it's more important to learn how to use social media than reading Shakespeare. These days you don't find jobs in newspapers, instead you apply online and a big part of that is using social media (linkedin) . Even using Facebook and twitter to keep in touch with people can be beneficial for people applying to work.

Drug dealing is quite lucrative, and notice how in many states it has marijuana has become LEGAL!

Keep in mind alcohol, a drug, was made illegal but prohibition did not work out, and now selling booze in various forms makes a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 10:58 PM

785 posts, read 344,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
The guy who founded napster, Sean Parker, reached out to the founder of Linkedin who introduced him and Mark to Peter.
I asked for proof, not a summary of what we already know. Sean Parker, according to Wikipedia, was not some long-time friend of Zuckerberg's. He came across the Facebook website and took the initiative to contact Zuckerberg to join because he saw its potential. I don't call that a 'connection'. There is no indication that Parker wasn't simply contacting well-known people in the tech and investing communities. That's what it says in the Wiki

"Former Napster and Plaxo employee Sean Parker, who at the time had assumed the title of "President" of Facebook, was seeking investors for Facebook. Parker approached Reid Hoffman, the CEO of work-based social network LinkedIn."

I'm sure he 'approached' a lot of potential investors, that doesn't mean he had connections to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Mark Zuckerberg comes from a wealthy and educated family that was very progressive with his education. At an early age his parents nurtured his interest in programming by having his father teach him the basics and having a private tutor (software developer). He went to a prestigious private high school in Phillips Exeter Academy that is known for it success rate in students being accepted at Ivy league institutions (tuition and boarding can cost up to $50K a year). Given the amount of defunding in public education and outdated curriculum, you can not expect a middle class to poor family to have the resources to replicate Mark Zuckerberg success. Bill de Blasio last year stated he hoped in 10 years all NYC public high school would be able to offer classes in computer science, it ridiculous how outdated our public education system is.
You didn't even attempt to answer the question or provide facts to back up the claim. Mark Zuckerberg is from a wealthy family? Great. What's that to the point? There are plenty of people who come from wealthy families who could not 'replicate Mark Zuckerberg's success' either. In addition, there are many 'rags to riches' stories in this country. Money doesn't make you better than anyone else or make you more capable as a person, businessman, or creator. In fact, not having money and desiring a better life for oneself and one's family often is the strongest driver to do excel and become the best at what you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Most likely the case that he used his connections or his mommy's and daddy's connections to get funding. I know for a fact that MIT funded a Chinese startup of one of its former students back in the late 90s early 2000s. However they don't just fund any student with an idea, that Chinese student was able to get the funding because he had connections to the upper echelons of the communist party and set up meetings between them and the administrators at MIT. In return MIT funded his startup in China and the guy became a billionaire at one point. Investors are presented with lots of bright ideas, and many times whether or not you have connections is the deciding factor of whether they provide you with money or not. Unless you know people that are close to these transactions you'll never know what actually goes on behind the scenes.
My request was pretty simple. I asked for proof. You saying that "Most likely" is not proof. Also, as you said, I'm sure that they don't just fund any student. I'm sure they are looking for a potential lucrative return. So if one of their students, who also had 'connections' to the 'upper echelon' came to them with a stupid proposal, I'm sure they would tell them to go suck an egg. Let's not confuse 'connections' with a really good idea. If the student made billions, then it's very likely that if he were NOT an MIT student with the same idea, he would have gotten the investment as well.

You people keep making nonsensical statements like "whether or not you have connections is the deciding factor of whether they provide you with money or not". Do you think these investors became billionaires because they turn down people with 'bright ideas' because they aren't somehow connected to them?

If that's your understanding of how to make money, I can safely bet every last penny I have that you will never be a billionaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
While there have been some good, credible points made on this thread by NYWriterDude, Caribny, and others, Anonimuso, you are making way too much sense! Your perceptions and thinking so closely mirrors my own, that I'm shocked. I too grew up in the hood and after becoming an adult have traveled extensively all over the country including the hoods. There is no more than 0.02% difference in the mentality from one hood to the other whether in the south, east coast, or west coast. I agree with you wholeheartedly about the absence of parental direction and guidance and a seriously LAX attitude toward their children's education as the biggest factor affecting the Black community. I've said as much on this board in years past.

I don't know if Caribny still remembers but he argued me down a few years ago when I've said what I'm about to say here again. I'm not saying all BM students behave this way but a large percentage do as school administrators, teachers, counselors, and social workers can attest. The problem is many BM students instead of applying themselves and dedicating themselves to do well academically many are playing around, cutting up, and BS-ing in school (starting in later elementary years) and it's not checked. It's laughed at by those around them and encouraged. They are not held accountable by their family.

Their trivializing of education only gets worse from middle school throughout high school where its' synthesized with over-the-top bravado/machismo and low-life thug behavior. C(rap) music is their soundtrack of choice and it keeps them racing for the bottom. The few brave souls who attempt to buck the trend do so at a severe risk to their physical and mental well-being as there is a contingent that vehemently opposes other Blacks from trying to do better/assert themselves for a better life and future. The bs-ing around in school towards education is the reason the majority of BM at age 18 until far in their late 30's or 40's are totally UNPREPARED to enter adulthood without mama, grandmama, auntie, or babymama (in her govt issue apt) having to house and feed them for a large part of their adult lives.

The school administration is blamed for these student's failures, teachers are blamed, and of course RACISM is blamed. True, all of these entities played a part howbeit a small one. The lion's share of blame should be on the PARENT(s) who failed their child, especially their sons. Entertainment was and continues to be placed far above education by both parent and child. Entertainment activities are chosen over educational activities. Hence, most have raised men-children who have no idea of how to achieve success in society other than trying to make quick money: selling drugs, robbing/theft, or dreaming of making it as pro-ball player, or rap artist. Consequently, barring an early violent death they continue to engage in behaviors which have a revolving door pipeline from jail to prison to release back to mom/grandmom/auntie/babymama's house. Rinse, repeat.

A good friend of mine who lives in northern CA and I talk about issues in our community all the time. A good guy friend of hers always say "it's like each generation (African-Americans) has to start over at square one. There is so much that no one talks to us about (parents, community, the Black church) and we have to figure everything out on our own". So true.

I have first-hand knowledge with the public school system here. I worked in a high school in NYC for a year. It was a brand new building, with new books, computers and everything else that people always complain about when they say that the school system is 'segregated'. I was an in-class mathematics tutor. I was in multiple classes every day. I will never ever set foot in a NYC public school ever again.

The students, mostly black and hispanic, were the worst bunch of misbehaving brats you could ever find. They disrupted the classes constantly, they were on their phones, they were making fun of the teacher. Basically, anything they wanted to do. And the teachers were helpless to do anything about it. The administration didn't support them in any way. One of my teachers was actually punched by a student after he told him to stop disrupting the class. Another student wouldn't stop talking on her phone, and when the student was told to leave and go to the vice-principal's office, the mother was called. The mother was up at school within 20 minutes. And the mother's response when told about her daughter's behavior was that the teacher and her daughter had to 'work something out'.

This is the kind of nonsense that holds down so many black kids. Even the ones who want to learn can't do so because the teacher has to spend half their time trying to deal with the knuckleheads. And yes, the parents are ultimately responsible for this. As I said, parental involvement is the first step in fixing these types of issues.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:47 PM

894 posts, read 391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
I asked for proof, not a summary of what we already know. Sean Parker, according to Wikipedia, was not some long-time friend of Zuckerberg's. He came across the Facebook website and took the initiative to contact Zuckerberg to join because he saw its potential. I don't call that a 'connection'. There is no indication that Parker wasn't simply contacting well-known people in the tech and investing communities. That's what it says in the Wiki

"Former Napster and Plaxo employee Sean Parker, who at the time had assumed the title of "President" of Facebook, was seeking investors for Facebook. Parker approached Reid Hoffman, the CEO of work-based social network LinkedIn."

I'm sure he 'approached' a lot of potential investors, that doesn't mean he had connections to them.

You didn't even attempt to answer the question or provide facts to back up the claim. Mark Zuckerberg is from a wealthy family? Great. What's that to the point? There are plenty of people who come from wealthy families who could not 'replicate Mark Zuckerberg's success' either. In addition, there are many 'rags to riches' stories in this country. Money doesn't make you better than anyone else or make you more capable as a person, businessman, or creator. In fact, not having money and desiring a better life for oneself and one's family often is the strongest driver to do excel and become the best at what you do.

My request was pretty simple. I asked for proof. You saying that "Most likely" is not proof. Also, as you said, I'm sure that they don't just fund any student. I'm sure they are looking for a potential lucrative return. So if one of their students, who also had 'connections' to the 'upper echelon' came to them with a stupid proposal, I'm sure they would tell them to go suck an egg. Let's not confuse 'connections' with a really good idea. If the student made billions, then it's very likely that if he were NOT an MIT student with the same idea, he would have gotten the investment as well.

You people keep making nonsensical statements like "whether or not you have connections is the deciding factor of whether they provide you with money or not". Do you think these investors became billionaires because they turn down people with 'bright ideas' because they aren't somehow connected to them?

If that's your understanding of how to make money, I can safely bet every last penny I have that you will never be a billionaire.

I have first-hand knowledge with the public school system here. I worked in a high school in NYC for a year. It was a brand new building, with new books, computers and everything else that people always complain about when they say that the school system is 'segregated'. I was an in-class mathematics tutor. I was in multiple classes every day. I will never ever set foot in a NYC public school ever again.

The students, mostly black and hispanic, were the worst bunch of misbehaving brats you could ever find. They disrupted the classes constantly, they were on their phones, they were making fun of the teacher. Basically, anything they wanted to do. And the teachers were helpless to do anything about it. The administration didn't support them in any way. One of my teachers was actually punched by a student after he told him to stop disrupting the class. Another student wouldn't stop talking on her phone, and when the student was told to leave and go to the vice-principal's office, the mother was called. The mother was up at school within 20 minutes. And the mother's response when told about her daughter's behavior was that the teacher and her daughter had to 'work something out'.

This is the kind of nonsense that holds down so many black kids. Even the ones who want to learn can't do so because the teacher has to spend half their time trying to deal with the knuckleheads. And yes, the parents are ultimately responsible for this. As I said, parental involvement is the first step in fixing these types of issues.
This is exactly the experience of four of my high school educator friends. Until personal accountability is embraced there will be limited progress in education and achievements for many of our poor minority communities.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
This is exactly the experience of four of my high school educator friends. Until personal accountability is embraced there will be limited progress in education and achievements for many of our poor minority communities.
College is not free, of course though there's financial aid and though students can work their way through school, lack of resources/money is a barrier to education. A student may do a cost/benefit analysis and determine that college is not worth it because they don't want to spend the money to go, and have no guarantee of a job.

U.S. college enrollment is dropping. Bad sign? - May. 20, 2016

Overall college enrollment and applications have DROPPED SIX YEARS straight.

Because everyone hears horror stories of people who go to college, take out crazy amounts of student loans to only be able to get ****ty low paying jobs. If someone isn't convinced that college isn't a worthy investment, who has the time or the money to waste like that?

Old 01-06-2017, 07:08 AM

20,134 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
So, anyone that isn't black have been there?

I'm lily white (and a senior citizen) and I have been to the Apollo several times. I've even been to the Red Lobster next door a couple times.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:11 AM

13 posts, read 8,034 times
I don't dispute what you're saying, and I'm sure it's true, but here's a funny thing--many black people apparently feel that blacks should have the right to criticize whites, but whites shouldn't have the right to criticize blacks. My friend used to work for HRA (as a caseworker) in a 90 percent black environment, and he has one story after another about the hostile attitude of many of his co-workers plus one of his supervisors toward him, but if he mentioned this publicly, I bet many people would automatically call him "racist" in a knee-jerk reaction.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeberer View Post
I don't dispute what you're saying, and I'm sure it's true, but here's a funny thing--many black people apparently feel that blacks should have the right to criticize whites, but whites shouldn't have the right to criticize blacks. My friend used to work for HRA (as a caseworker) in a 90 percent black environment, and he has one story after another about the hostile attitude of many of his co-workers plus one of his supervisors toward him, but if he mentioned this publicly, I bet many people would automatically call him "racist" in a knee-jerk reaction.
Do all white people always get along with each other in predominately white work forces? I don't think so. The same is true for any other group of people, including black people.

The issue here is that you are pathologically obsessed with trying to find fault with black people.

I think many of the people on this forum speak of other groups of people in DEHUMANIZING terms. To the point where they don't refer to groups of people who are different from them as people. Case in point, "Blacks". When you speak of "Blacks" you lump all Black people together as the BORG, and characterize Black people as having no individuality or any other traits beyond being black. Never mind Black people are different from each other in terms of religion, national origin, culture, socioeconomic status, region (Big difference between say the Bronx or Queens and rural Mississippi) etc.

Are you even able to talk to people of other races as PEOPLE and as INDIVIDUALS, instead of labels such as Black?

Old 01-06-2017, 08:55 AM

849 posts, read 451,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Do all white people always get along with each other in predominately white work forces? I don't think so. The same is true for any other group of people, including black people.

The issue here is that you are pathologically obsessed with trying to find fault with black people.

I think many of the people on this forum speak of other groups of people in DEHUMANIZING terms. To the point where they don't refer to groups of people who are different from them as people. Case in point, "Blacks". When you speak of "Blacks" you lump all Black people together as the BORG, and characterize Black people as having no individuality or any other traits beyond being black. Never mind Black people are different from each other in terms of religion, national origin, culture, socioeconomic status, region (Big difference between say the Bronx or Queens and rural Mississippi) etc.

Are you even able to talk to people of other races as PEOPLE and as INDIVIDUALS, instead of labels such as Black?
I agree that people should be looked at as individuals and not just as what race they belong to, but that's very idealistic. With the way both the right-wing and (especially) the left-wing play group race politics to an increasing extent these days, it seems we're veering farther away from that. So it's hard to do so. Plus, many people say "look at the individual, not the race" when it suits them, and then just group races together when it suits them. (I don't mean you in particular, I mean lots of people).

Old 01-06-2017, 09:45 AM

7,901 posts, read 6,474,824 times
The right wing plays race politics? Lol that's the funniest thing I've heard all week!

Leftism is currently based almost solely on racial/identity politics. To say otherwise is flat stupid.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,629,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The right wing plays race politics? Lol that's the funniest thing I've heard all week!

Leftism is currently based almost solely on racial/identity politics. To say otherwise is flat stupid.
You might be nuts about guns - but you're dead right on the bolded above. That's exactly what it has developed into nowadays in the US at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City