U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-05-2017, 09:47 PM
 
1,957 posts, read 1,046,289 times
Reputation: 768

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Been to Chicago lately?
The Chicago argument used once again to deflect from racism in policing.

You, like every racist who posts about "black crime" probably thinks every black person goes to Chicago at night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Been to Chicago lately?
I'm pretty sure Chicago was more dangerous back in the day. And NYC has a huge black population too and is very safe as far as big US cities go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 03:07 AM
 
40 posts, read 16,993 times
Reputation: 56
Call it a hunch but I think the OP is a troll. Might be wrong but there's just something about it that doesn't look legitimate ..

Black person offended at groups of white males guarding their wallets

I don't know if there's a phrase for kinda reverse/double-bluff racism but I think that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 03:15 AM
 
40 posts, read 16,993 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Silent & institutional racism is a lot worst than public display of ignorance & mild racism.

How about you apply for a job and they tell you they are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Then you get hired and find that 90% of minorities are the lowest class workers and 10% of minorities are just slightly higher paid workers.

You go to team meetings with all your peers and managers, you tried to contribute as productive worker but no manager ever takes your opinions or advice seriously. Since after your meeting, your manager attends another meeting that is 90% white and 10% Hispanic-Caucasians.

That seems to be the norm in corporate America today. Equal opportunities only applies to white females or gay white males while other minorities still work as underlings.
Silent racism is worse than public displays of racism/ignorance? seriously?

See your analogy about 90% of the minorities are the lower-class workers in the company ... here's a serious question, are these 90% equally qualified, skilled and experienced and most of all doing the same job in the company? I've seen this a few times on here people shouting about equality but using someone in a company who packs boxes in a warehouse (and is a minority) and using area managers/directors etc (who are white) and trying to paint a equality picture.

Also the part about meetings and no-one taking your opinion seriously could it not be that your ideas are just crap rather than the colour of your skin? I think it's some stretch to assume given that your already in a position within a company that your valued enough to sit in meetings that they wouldn't take anything worthwhile you said on board just because of the colour of your skin.

You might think that this is some sort of corporation-wide institutional racism but I think it's paranoia. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 08:12 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
2,456 posts, read 1,806,602 times
Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
Silent racism is worse than public displays of racism/ignorance? seriously?

See your analogy about 90% of the minorities are the lower-class workers in the company ... here's a serious question, are these 90% equally qualified, skilled and experienced and most of all doing the same job in the company? I've seen this a few times on here people shouting about equality but using someone in a company who packs boxes in a warehouse (and is a minority) and using area managers/directors etc (who are white) and trying to paint a equality picture.

Also the part about meetings and no-one taking your opinion seriously could it not be that your ideas are just crap rather than the colour of your skin? I think it's some stretch to assume given that your already in a position within a company that your valued enough to sit in meetings that they wouldn't take anything worthwhile you said on board just because of the colour of your skin.

You might think that this is some sort of corporation-wide institutional racism but I think it's paranoia. Sorry.

Well, the thing is that the minority started to pack boxes - as your example puts it - because they weren't given the opportunity as a child to live in the same luxury neighborhoods, nor to go to adequate schools, nor get a, "dad, can you please pay for my rent to live in Chelsea." It's all as a result of racism that was passed down from generation to generation. So the example is actually a very good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 10:31 AM
 
40 posts, read 16,993 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Well, the thing is that the minority started to pack boxes - as your example puts it - because they weren't given the opportunity as a child to live in the same luxury neighborhoods, nor to go to adequate schools, nor get a, "dad, can you please pay for my rent to live in Chelsea." It's all as a result of racism that was passed down from generation to generation. So the example is actually a very good one.
It's not a very good one because it conflates two different issues.

You are right in what you say when it comes to upbringings, chances in life, poverty etc. That should be addressed so everyone can, in essence, have the same start in life regardless of skin colour.

That's perfectly valid in my opinion but that's different to workplace racism and equality gaps in pay.

You can't just go around giving the toilet cleaners, the box packers and security guards (not dissing them jobs I'm a security guard myself) the same money as people higher up the chain with more experience, skills and talent. You just can't do it.

The point I was making at the start is valid but it's a different debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
7,901 posts, read 6,472,299 times
Reputation: 7088
If more minorities could ask any questions to a dad, the problems would largely correct themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,482 posts, read 2,523,860 times
Reputation: 2554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If more minorities could ask any questions to a dad, the problems would largely correct themselves.
or condoms
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 06:14 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Well, the thing is that the minority started to pack boxes - as your example puts it - because they weren't given the opportunity as a child to live in the same luxury neighborhoods, nor to go to adequate schools, nor get a, "dad, can you please pay for my rent to live in Chelsea." It's all as a result of racism that was passed down from generation to generation. So the example is actually a very good one.

The vast majority of white people can't pay for their kids to live in Chelsea either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 07:19 PM
 
306 posts, read 173,729 times
Reputation: 79
to the ORIGINAL POSTER .White people who do that is because they have issue with THEMSELVES, and people like that do NOT MATTER . There are good , genuine white people and if you are a genuine , good person yourself , they should be the ones you focus on . The RACIST , STUPID IGNORANT ONES do not matter and they don't know better , like the great Maya Angelou used to say " WHEN YOU KNOW BETTER , YOU DO BETTER"

And by the way there are more white people on food stamps , then any other groups in the USA , according to an article. You can Google the sentence , more white people on food stamps than any other groups , and you'll see the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top