U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 02:16 PM

7,586 posts, read 2,699,692 times

Advertisements

What's funny though is that when I am in minority neighborhoods, I am treated with distrust and like a criminal, so I guess it works both ways. They probably think I'm in the area looking for drugs or something. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 02:26 PM

39 posts, read 38,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It all adds up though mentally. If you see this constantly happen where people clutch their bag or wallet around you and do so very openly, it may start to have an impact on you, but you can have a good time with it as some people do. I never advocate being aggressive though. I myself was accused of being racist for simply crossing the street when a young black man happened to be approaching. The neighborhood was heavily white, so obviously he stood out and felt he was a target. It's hard to subtle racism prove it because it isn't always obvious, but it does happen.
I have asked myself, what is it about me that causes people to do this? I don't believe that I look odd. I don't like to wear flashy items, but my handbag is valued at around 3K, though you wouldn't know it, unless you are familiar with the designer. I imagine that many who are in the know probably take one look at my skin color and just assume that it's an imitation.

Regarding the topic at hand, I have thought about saying something, but I'm not a confrontational person, so I avoid it. I love waking up to the beautiful scenic views, but I strongly dislike the passive aggressive racism that is all too common throughout NYC. After a while, it does start to take its toll.
Attached Thumbnails
Confronting racism in NYC-image1.jpg  

Old 12-19-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJayne NYC View Post
I have asked myself, what is it about me that causes people to do this? I don't believe that I look odd. I don't like to wear flashy items, but my handbag is valued at around 3K, though you wouldn't know it, unless you are familiar with the designer. I imagine that many who are in the know probably take one look at my skin color and just assume that it's an imitation.

I have thought about saying something, but I'm not a confrontational person, so I avoid it. I love waking up to the beautiful scenic views, but I strongly dislike the passive aggressive racism that is all too common throughout NYC. After a while, it does start to take its toll.
What I will say is racism works both ways. As I said in a previous post, when I'm in minority neighborhoods, people think the worst of me too. I have been told plenty of times that I am "definitely in the wrong neighborhood". I would ignore it as long as you aren't physically harmed. I remember even having something thrown at me as I was minding my own business walking in a minority neighborhood. You have ignorant people in all walks of life.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Your family sounds racist. Do they really see everything in black and white?

My family sees things in pure economic terms, and I'm very fortunate, because they taught me to do the same. We have never had any money issues, because my family is not dependent on white people for employment.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
What I will say is racism works both ways. As I said in a previous post, when I'm in minority neighborhoods, people think the worst of me too. I have been told plenty of times that I am "definitely in the wrong neighborhood". I would ignore it as long as you aren't physically harmed. I remember even having something thrown at me as I was minding my own business walking in a minority neighborhood. You have ignorant people in all walks of life.
Are you French? You don't strike me as a native born american.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I'm curious, are you French? You don't strike me as a native born american.
I am of mixed background with European ancestry.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:37 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,237,917 times
Quote:
Black and Hispanics commit 90% of the violent crime in NYC. Given the statistics, people are going to be guarded towards strangers with a high probability of committing a crime towards them.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
MaryJane - looking at your past postings, you basically ONLY talk about race. I think that's the main issue.

If you are always looking for "racism", you will find it.

P.S. I read in your last thread that you earn $110k/year.
Making $110,000 a year is really not a lot of money in NYC, so take it easy with you calling yourself "Wealthy"
110K is my personal earnings at this time. I am not bragging, but my family pays for my apartment, as well as my parking space. I was featured in a NY times real estate article, but I won't provide the clipping, because I don't want to disclose too much personal information. :P

For the record, I am not rich, but I get along just fine.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I am of mixed background with European ancestry.
I have a number of European friends. You seem like a logical person.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
Black and Hispanics commit 90% of the violent crime in NYC. Given the statistics, people are going to be guarded towards strangers with a high probability of committing a crime towards them.
While this is true, doesn't it seem ignorant to draw conclusions against complete strangers? It almost seems as if you're justifying their behavior, as if each hispanic and black person looks automatically menacing. That's like me when I'm in minority neighborhoods, and the black and hispanic people automatically judge me because of my racial background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City