Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 01:48 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
I have no idea what you mean when you say I assume all employment is Fortune 500 companies. That doesn't even make any sense. How could all employment be at Fortune 500 companies? The overwhelming majority of businesses in this country are small businesses.

If the businesses that you are working with/at are hiring people close to them, and you're finding yourself in a situation where people at the company GENERALLY don't like you, then maybe the problem isn't people at the company. I mean, I thought you were talking about one person with whom you might have a problem, but if it's with people in general, then maybe you need to start considering that you are the one with the problem.

And yes, Paladino injected a racial element. I'm not defending him, I was challenging your statement that white men don't talk about white women in public. It's just not true.

I view Obama as an awful President, but it obviously has nothing to do with his race, as we are of the same race. The funny thing is that there are people who hate Obama because of his race (I don't think anyone would deny that racists/white supremacists still exist, even though it is blown out of proportion by the media and ascribed to EVERY person who opposes Obama), but those people also hate white Presidents like Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter for being friendly with and supporting policies that (supposedly) helped minorities instead of white Americans.
I never said white men don't talk about white women in public at all. I did say Paladino would not have called a white woman a gorilla, and say she should move into a cave in Zimabawe. It's not possible to use a more racist attack against someone, and it's really silly for you to deny this. Hillary's opponents have called her names, but nothing so dehumanizing. He even said Barack should get mad cow disease for sleeping with Michelle who he called a gorilla.

I generally got a long quite well with the people I worked with. So this situation of the likability of the employee has nothing to do with me personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 05:14 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Paladino is a nut job and a true racist using the real definition of the word.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:48 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post

I view Obama as an awful President, but it obviously has nothing to do with his race, as we are of the same race. The funny thing is that there are people who hate Obama because of his race (I don't think anyone would deny that racists/white supremacists still exist, even though it is blown out of proportion by the media and ascribed to EVERY person who opposes Obama), but those people also hate white Presidents like Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter for being friendly with and supporting policies that (supposedly) helped minorities instead of white Americans.
Noone denies that white supremacy/racism still exist in the binary sense (which only requires 1 racist/white supremacist in order to substantiate the claim that racism/WS still exists). That said, I'd posit that racism is not the primary impediment to peoples' ability to achieve their goals in the US in 2016. This is for people of all races.

Do you think that racism is the primary factor that impedes black people who are less successful in life than they would like to be?

In my experience, minorities act as if they want to be viewed as victims (of racism, oppression, etc.) even if the evidence is not that strong. Do you have any insight into why minorities often wish to view themselves in this light?

Thanks for the tips!

Old 12-30-2016, 02:18 PM

983 posts, read 931,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
\In my experience, minorities act as if they want to be viewed as victims (of racism, oppression, etc.) even if the evidence is not that strong. Do you have any insight into why minorities often wish to view themselves in this light?
Conditioning through the school and political system.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
Don't worry about meat heads like them.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Noone denies that white supremacy/racism still exist in the binary sense (which only requires 1 racist/white supremacist in order to substantiate the claim that racism/WS still exists). That said, I'd posit that racism is not the primary impediment to peoples' ability to achieve their goals in the US in 2016. This is for people of all races.

Do you think that racism is the primary factor that impedes black people who are less successful in life than they would like to be?

In my experience, minorities act as if they want to be viewed as victims (of racism, oppression, etc.) even if the evidence is not that strong. Do you have any insight into why minorities often wish to view themselves in this light?

Thanks for the tips!
So why do you feel the need to dismiss the experiences of minorities, in the favor of one minority who seems like he agrees with you? You are aware that no one person can speak for all minorities, and that there are different forms of discrimination?

Old 12-30-2016, 06:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So why do you feel the need to dismiss the experiences of minorities, in the favor of one minority who seems like he agrees with you? You are aware that no one person can speak for all minorities, and that there are different forms of discrimination?
I'm not dismissing peoples' experiences; I'm asking for proof. I'm not white myself and haven't felt oppressed or held down by institutional racism, though I'm not necessarily as far along in my career as I'd like.

Oppression is a strong word. I haven't seen much systemic oppression of minorities (especially by the government/in the statute) in my lifetime (turning 38 soon).

Take the voter ID laws. For those laws to be racist, there would have to be different levels of proof of identity required between blacks and whites in the statute (with the burden of proof higher for blacks than white). That's not the case, but those who oppose voter ID laws still claim they're racist.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not dismissing peoples' experiences; I'm asking for proof. I'm not white myself and haven't felt oppressed or held down by institutional racism, though I'm not necessarily as far along in my career as I'd like.

Oppression is a strong word. I haven't seen much systemic oppression of minorities (especially by the government/in the statute) in my lifetime (turning 38 soon).

Take the voter ID laws. For those laws to be racist, there would have to be different levels of proof of identity required between blacks and whites in the statute (with the burden of proof higher for blacks than white). That's not the case, but those who oppose voter ID laws still claim they're racist.
Ask those people who tell you racism impacted them how it impacted them. There are also books you can read on this that go beyond anecdotal evidence.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:37 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
I'm white and grew up in NYC and I see/have notice(d) certain things. I wonder how others don't see them? At times, I think most people are either in denial, ****ing morons, or completely encased in their own bubble to notice (too busy trying to receive views/likes on snapchat/instagram maybe?).

For example:

1. What's the skin color of the majority of service workers in the city and on the flip side, who are the majority of their customers?

2. How did the city manage to carve out District 2 in Manhattan for school zoning?

3. "Liberals" are all for diversity until the city tries to rezone their schools. This always makes me laugh.

4. Three ****ty SAS stations gets built at a ridiculous cost/resources yet there are many outlying NYC neighborhoods growing at a faster rate that would benefit from subway access at a much cheaper rate?

5. A "liberal" neighborhood trying to convert the Brooklyn Bridge Park BBall courts into tennis courts because they didn't want black teens strolling through their hood. The NYC media actually thought this a serious proposal?

I could go on and on. Growing up in this city, you notice certain things unless you're dumb or willfully ignorant. Most people are the latter.

I could go on and on but growing up in the city, these things are easy to spot if you're not willingly blind.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I'm white and grew up in NYC and I see/have notice(d) certain things. I wonder how others don't see them? At times, I think most people are either in denial, ****ing morons, or completely encased in their own bubble to notice (too busy trying to receive views/likes on snapchat/instagram maybe?).

For example:

1. What's the skin color of the majority of service workers in the city and on the flip side, who are the majority of their customers?

2. How did the city manage to carve out District 2 in Manhattan for school zoning?

3. "Liberals" are all for diversity until the city tries to rezone their schools. This always makes me laugh.

4. Three ****ty SAS stations gets built at a ridiculous cost/resources yet there are many outlying NYC neighborhoods growing at a faster rate that would benefit from subway access at a much cheaper rate?

5. A "liberal" neighborhood trying to convert the Brooklyn Bridge Park BBall courts into tennis courts because they didn't want black teens strolling through their hood. The NYC media actually thought this a serious proposal?

I could go on and on. Growing up in this city, you notice certain things unless you're dumb or willfully ignorant. Most people are the latter.

I could go on and on but growing up in the city, these things are easy to spot if you're not willingly blind.
That's the most obvious inequity in the city. The segregation in the school system is another. Who are the majority of students in public schools, and who are the majority of the students in private schools? CUNY (public) is probably majority minority. Not so for Columbia, NYU, and other private universities in the city. Obviously they wanted to reduce crowding for people who live on the UES, so they get phase one of the Second Avenue Subway. Because East Siders have to ride the subway to midtown and downtown (still going to be overcrowded), Cuomo and Penderast are now pushing for ways to reduce costs for phases 2-4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City