Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2017, 11:13 AM

33,796 posts, read 47,022,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You don't necessary have to be racist to want to keep some of the privileges you and your family has worked hard to build. Communism as an economy didn't work out so well and capitalism is inherently unequal while driving people to be more productive.
Keep what privilege? The privilege of paying the bank for the next 30 years? A mortgage is a privilege? Bro....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 11:24 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,874,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Keep what privilege? The privilege of paying the bank for the next 30 years? A mortgage is a privilege? Bro....
The wealth of white people on average is considerably more than the wealth of Black people. A number of people inherit homes or other assets, and this has long term implications for family well being.

Established white families in NYC have often owned property for generations, and tend to be better connected in terms of getting jobs AND housing opportunities than black families who are disproportionately renters, or they live in areas that are not desirable if they are homeowners.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Lol you think you're not just screwed as the person on the train next to you? LMAO
Actually, I'm not. I was lucky. I inherited money from a relative who died (this doesn't happen for many poor people in NYC whose families just lived in rent stabilized apartments or in the projects), I have a much better education, and I have a much better career. To even pretend we all have the same circumstances is disingenuous. And to even pretend that the opportunities I have were all my own work would also be dishonest. I got considerable money from my family over the years.

So granted, while there are Black people who do have the funds to move up socieconomically, I'm aware many have insufficient resources and they are stuck in poor Black neighborhoods, and I could say the same for other minorities.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The wealth of white people on average is considerably more than the wealth of Black people. A number of people inherit homes or other assets, and this has long term implications for family well being.

Established white families in NYC have often owned property for generations, and tend to be better connected in terms of getting jobs AND housing opportunities than black families who are disproportionately renters, or they live in areas that are not desirable if they are homeowners.
Who cares about white or black. You keep attempting to seek approval from a system that was not built for 99% of people to succeed.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Actually, I'm not. I was lucky. I inherited money from a relative who died (this doesn't happen for many poor people in NYC whose families just lived in rent stabilized apartments or in the projects), I have a much better education, and I have a much better career. To even pretend we all have the same circumstances is disingenuous. And to even pretend that the opportunities I have were all my own work would also be dishonest. I got considerable money from my family over the years.

So granted, while there are Black people who do have the funds to move up socieconomically, I'm aware many have insufficient resources and they are stuck in poor Black neighborhoods, and I could say the same for other minorities.
Lucky? You're lucky that your relative passed away?

What's your log number?

Old 02-09-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Stop chasing fantasies and create your own instead of looking at other people's things. You should change your name to NYMaterialisticNiceNeighborhoodDude.
Not chasing fantasies. I've done what I've done and LOVED every minute of it. I've created my own.

Don't make assumptions.

And yes, I do look at other people's things and will always do so. Any thinking person should be aware of what is going on in society.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Not chasing fantasies. I've done what I've done and LOVED every minute of it. I've created my own.

Don't make assumptions.

And yes, I do look at other people's things and will always do so. Any thinking person should be aware of what is going on in society.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Never, you know me.

Of course racism exists, duh. That doesn't mean that certain people aren't pushing an agenda though to keep it alive and well (and growing). That's what I said and Mr. Relaxx knows that. Apparently people fall for bait such as he tossed out there. I don't.
Of course there are politicians who exploit racism. I could say the same for media, particularly those who make money off the bad news coming from "inner cities" which is never explained without context. Black people are presented/stereotyped as just bad. Rarely is historical context discussed. Such as government policies pushing Black people into housing projects or otherwise on welfare, at the same time that they were discriminated against in the housing market and in the employment market. And as a GI you know returning Black GIs were not allowed to access those benefits the way white GIs . The significance of this is white GI were able to go to school and get degrees, get cheap loans to start businesses or buy houses, and they pushed a number of white families into the middle class or made them wealthy even. These opportunities are CURRENTLY available for people of all races, but it certainly takes time to catch up when you're way behind for historical purposes.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Lucky? You're lucky that your relative passed away?

What's your log number?
Yes, I am lucky that relative left the money to me and not someone else, and I put that money to very good use and it made enormous changes in my life.

Family inheritances make big differences in the lives of people, those of us who are lucky enough to get an inheritance.

It's a huge determinant of who can move up socioeconomically.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:08 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,873,962 times
Quote:
As a homeowner with a mortgage you are allowed a tax deduction on the interest on the mortgage. You are receiving a benefit not given to renters.

Quote:
You keep attempting to seek approval from a system that was not built for 99% of people to succeed.
Immigrants tend to have a higher success rate of moving up socioeconomically (within one generation of arriving to the U.S.), so even if they are the same race they can have different views on it (situational poverty vs generational poverty).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City