U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 12:57 PM

39 posts, read 38,138 times

Advertisements

I am very curious (fellow black people), how to deal with the below issue? I have noticed on a few occasions, when I'm walking on the street or standing in the back of white males, a number of them will always put their hands in their back pant pocket, to "safe guard" their wallet. I'm not sure why it unnerves me, but it does. I have never been one to care about what other people think, but it is particularly upsetting because of the assumptions made, based on my skin color alone.

Again, I know that I shouldn't care, but I do believe in sticking up for myself. I am curious if this has happened to you. If so, how did you deal with it? If I'm on the train and I observe them engaging in that behavior, I'll move to another area.

What I often find interesting is, many of them are living with 4 other people in an apartment just to afford rent, while I'm the one who is actually from a wealthy family and has my own business, yet due to my skin color alone, I'm immediately judged as a low life thief.

I know that I'm not the only one who experiences this sort of treatment. Do you just ignore it or do you confront the ignorance? I have thought about making a statement, but it's not even worth it, because I refuse to prove myself to those whom I know are trash, based on their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 01:07 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,862,822 times
Why do you care so much about something so small? Seriously? This is exactly what's wrong with people today.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:15 PM

35 posts, read 21,035 times
The solution is rather simple. Treat them as they treat you. Clutch your purse extra tight.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:29 PM

998 posts, read 721,438 times
Or you are making something out of nothing because you WANT to see white people being "racist" to prove to yourself that it's a thing. You know, people put their hands in all types of pockets nowadays, never knew this is now considered racism. White people have a new thing they have to stop doing now....

Just Stop

Racism is having segregated schools, different bathrooms, different water fountains, having to sit on different parts of the bus, black people hanging from trees and working on cotton fields for little to no money.
Your Parents and grandparents know exactly what racism is, they lived it.

Young black people have no idea how bad it was back then compared to today, so they try really hard to find it because they want to prove so bad that it is still a widespread thing. So they say silly things like "Oh the white man put his hands in his pockets when I was near him!" or "She pulled her purse closer to her body as I approached!"... no, most times its just coincidence. Relax and go play with your iphone.

EDIT: I re-read your post. Even Worse! You were raised privileged! You don't know the struggle! So now as you are a bit older and more educated, you subconsciously have a guilt for growing up with money and never really working or struggling for anything, so now as an adult you are looking for a way to feel included into the "black stuggle". Please.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:31 PM

6,838 posts, read 4,432,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Why do you care so much about something so small? Seriously? This is exactly what's wrong with people today.
I agree.

They:

Don't pay your bills (and never will or volunteer to)
Don't put a roof over your head (and never will or volunteer to)
Don''t put food on your table (and never will or volunteer to)
Don't clean your butt (and never will or volunteer to)

Unless it's negatively affecting your life which is not then why do you care? I sometimes have to remind myself of the above bullet points when dealing with negative people. Racism is apart of discrimination which humans will continue on doing till the end of time. I would not waste my life trying to change the mind-frame of such individuals since it's usually its a waste of time.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Or you are making something out of nothing because you WANT to see white people being "racist" to prove to yourself that it's a thing. You know, people put their hands in all types of pockets nowadays, never knew this is now considered racism. White people have a new thing they have to stop doing now....

Just Stop

Racism is having segregated schools, different bathrooms, different water fountains, having to sit on different parts of the bus, black people hanging from trees and working on cotton fields for little to no money.
Your Parents and grandparents know exactly what racism is, they lived it.

Young black people have no idea how bad it was back then compared to today, so they try really hard to find it because they want to prove so bad that it is still a widespread thing. So they say silly things like "Oh the white man put his hands in his pockets when I was near him!" or "She pulled her purse closer to her body as I approached!"... no, most times its just coincidence. Relax and go play with your iphone.
It is most certainly racist to view all black people as criminals. Don't pretend that this is not the underlining thought, because it is.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:39 PM

998 posts, read 721,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnSkye View Post
It is most certainly racist to view all black people as criminals. Don't pretend that this is not the underlining thought, because it is.
You can read other's thoughts? Amazing.

You can equate someone putting their hands into their pockets as racist, that is truly scary. Not only that, you are CERTAIN of their actions and thoughts!

Old 12-19-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
You can read other's thoughts? Amazing.

You can equate someone putting their hands into their pockets as racist, that is truly scary. Not only that, you are CERTAIN of their actions and thoughts!
If someone takes the precaution to place their hand over their wallet, or hold their purse tightly when you are around, chances are, they are doing it, because they believe you will try to steal. One doesn't have to be a mind reader or rocket scientist to figure this out.

As an aside, part of the reason why Americans are the laughing stock of the world is due to the extreme amount of ignorance and denial that many choose to engage in.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:54 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,231,532 times
This post reminds me of all the FAKE claims out there crying racism....Just stirring the pot here is all this post is trying to do pretty much. We have ZERO proof this is happening to you.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:55 PM

3,064 posts, read 6,138,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJayne NYC View Post
I am very curious (fellow black people), how to deal with the below issue? I have noticed on a few occasions, when I'm walking on the street or standing in the back of white males, a number of them will always put their hands in their back pant pocket, to "safe guard" their wallet. I'm not sure why it unnerves me, but it does. I have never been one to care about what other people think, but it is particularly upsetting because of the assumptions made, based on my skin color alone.

Again, I know that I shouldn't care, but I do believe in sticking up for myself. I am curious if this has happened to you. If so, how did you deal with it? If I'm on the train and I observe them engaging in that behavior, I'll move to another area.

What I often find interesting is, many of them are living with 4 other people in an apartment just to afford rent, while I'm the one who is actually from a wealthy family and has my own business, yet due to my skin color alone, I'm immediately judged as a low life thief.

I know that I'm not the only one who experiences this sort of treatment. Do you just ignore it or do you confront the ignorance? I have thought about making a statement, but it's not even worth it, because I refuse to prove myself to those whom I know are trash, based on their actions.
A walking the street rule: I'm too old to worry about people's prejudices.......unless they step to me!

I was called the N-word from classmates, coworkers and coaches! Back then, the rule was to bring their stereotypes verbally right back at 'em, depending on what group their from....! Can't do too much of that, these days! Now, any negative workplace, school and/or team behavior should be reported! (immediately!), while dumbness in the street? Let their ignorance be and keep it movin'......unless they step to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City