U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 07:48 PM

2,581 posts, read 2,677,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Nah. My last rental which I just moved out of was $1200 (landlord did try to raise it to $1400 but I doubt he would get that for that apartment) and it was closer to the subway and a much safer neighborhood than Parkchester.
Just because one person is paranoid doesn't mean the area is not safe. I just looked up the numbers. You have less than .0005% chance of a violent crime happening. Don't let the same poster who has paranoia mislead you. I have a child. I would not move to an area where I didn't think she would be safe. I'd move in with my parents before I did that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 11:41 AM

1,007 posts, read 582,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Just because one person is paranoid doesn't mean the area is not safe. I just looked up the numbers. You have less than .0005% chance of a violent crime happening. Don't let the same poster who has paranoia mislead you. I have a child. I would not move to an area where I didn't think she would be safe. I'd move in with my parents before I did that.
Where do you get the probability of crime statistic from!?!?

Old 03-31-2018, 06:25 AM

2,581 posts, read 2,677,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
Where do you get the probability of crime statistic from!?!?
It was here, but my memory was slightly off remembering the NYC figure instead of the neighborhood one. The number is .006, not .005. However, the difference is still statistically insignificant. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok What I find interesting is that it's safer than the average nationally.

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2018 at 05:31 AM..

Old 04-14-2018, 04:17 PM

9 posts, read 6,634 times
I've lived in Parkchester now for almost 2 years. Coming from a middle class suburb area in Queens, (I was living with my parents), it was a big change and a lot for me to get used to. As a single, working, professional, Parckchester is great for these reasons: the area is safe and feels very community oriented, which I can appreciate. They do a great job of maintaining cleanliness. When I'm leaving out in the morning, I can count on seeing the cleaning guy sweeping, mopping, buffing floors, etc. It is in close proximity to the train and buses. It is affordable. I pay $1294 for a 1 bedroom.

My major gripe with Parkchester is the parking, or lack thereof. Coming from living in a private home and also renting out a basement apt in Queens, I was used to coming and going as I please, and parking with no problems. In Parkchester, parking is a nightmare! The parking garage wanted $280/month, which is outrageous, especially since the garage isn't even connected to my building, and I'd have to walk. I opted to pay $150/year for a parking sticker. You can park in the surrounding lots, but it's not assigned - it's first come first serve. Since I take the train to work, I keep my car parked all week, and only drive on the weekends. This is a sacrifice I've been making, but the next place I get, I will have to have parking. If I go out during the week, I uber because I know if I move my car, I wont get another spot.

It's true there is no laundry in the building, but there are plenty of laundromats in the vicinity.

My experience has been pretty decent with Parkchester. The few issues I've had, has been dealing with neighbors. Some people just have no respect when it comes to living with others. There is someone on my floor who constantly leaves garbage inside the compactor closet. Another neighbor who plays their music super loud with no regard. The person who lives above me doesn't have carpet, and they often walk around with heels. Little annoyances like that.

Overall, not bad, especially for the price. When I was looking in Queens for a 1br, they were pricing at $1500 or more.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:52 PM

366 posts, read 177,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
There are units in the four buildings where I live west of the Parkchester Complex. The prices are reasonable but have increased a lot just in the six months I have been here. We have a laundry on premises, as well as a garage. Also the units are newer since these four buildings were built 1960. Entry is direct from the street, most shareholders using the service entrance that lines up in front of the elevator bank.
Good to know!!! I still think Parkchester is our best bet for buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City