Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:34 AM

444 posts, read 387,377 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience living in the community of the Parkchester Apartments/Condominiums Bronx Studio, 1 BR, 2 BR 3 BR Apartments for Rent | Parkchester, New York City

I keep reading mixed reviews. I have an appointment for an office visit in January.

My main concern is of course safety and cleanliness of the building, and any info you can/want to share.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 07:19 AM

7 posts, read 10,172 times
Go by the area during the morning, midday and at night. Very different. Had a friend who lived here. Depends on you if you going to like the area.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickiev View Post
Go by the area during the morning, midday and at night. Very different. Had a friend who lived here. Depends on you if you going to like the area.

Thanks, I know that if depends if I like it and it's my decision because I'm the one that will be living there. Going on a Saturday morning during Winter would be different than a Saturday morning in the Spring or Summer. Same can be said for a weekday.

Was your friend content living there or were they willing to break the lease to get out?

Honestly I think the fact that rents are still remaining inexpensive is a red flag for me along with the reviews I;m reading online. I might take a train ride before my appointment scope things out.

Thanks again

Old 12-22-2016, 10:35 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
Parkchester is fine, had a girlfriend who lived in the complex for a bit. it's a trek on the 6 and that's probably why it's priced cheaper, though I have my reservations about living far out on a 'probably is going to be most of the time' local train line. I don't have any issues with the areas around it, though of course going southwest it gets a little shifty.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:15 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
I have been there to visit a few friends that decided to try out the area (yes there are some whites there, though not a significant amount, but I always see some when I made trips there). They take the express bus since that is closer for them than the subway. The area is fairly mixed, and doesn't feel extremely unsafe, but at the same time, I never felt comfortable there either for whatever reason. I get the impression that you'll be fine as long as you have street smarts. Nevertheless I wouldn't want to live there. I don't like seeing people hanging out in front of stores and what have you, and whether it is real or not, there is this vibe that there's a ghetto element in the area. Perhaps that's a persona that some of the residents want to portray, but I don't find it attractive one bit. Also the parking there is atrocious to say the least. Very hard to find parking, so if the OP has a car, that is something to consider. I also don't think any of the buildings have laundry on site, which IMO in 2016 is an inconvenience to have to take your clothes to the laundromat.

I think the rents may be cheap in part because the buildings are older and need work. They have remodeled some of the apartments with newer kitchens, but the bathrooms and the rest of the apartment overall look dated, along with the elevators. Quite frankly, they should gut all of them.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I have been there to visit a few friends that decided to try out the area (yes there are some whites there, though not a significant amount, but I always see some when I made trips there). They take the express bus since that is closer for them than the subway. The area is fairly mixed, and doesn't feel extremely unsafe, but at the same time, I never felt comfortable there either for whatever reason. I get the impression that you'll be fine as long as you have street smarts. Nevertheless I wouldn't want to live there. I don't like seeing people hanging out in front of stores and what have you, and whether it is real or not, there is this vibe that there's a ghetto element in the area. Perhaps that's a persona that some of the residents want to portray, but I don't find it attractive one bit. Also the parking there is atrocious to say the least. Very hard to find parking, so if the OP has a car, that is something to consider. I also don't think any of the buildings have laundry on site, which IMO in 2016 is an inconvenience to have to take your clothes to the laundromat.

I think the rents may be cheap in part because the buildings are older and need work. They have remodeled some of the apartments with newer kitchens, but the bathrooms and the rest of the apartment overall look dated, along with the elevators. Quite frankly, they should gut all of them.

Thank you for noting this. That is a deal breaker for me. I thought each building had a laundry room.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:56 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,701 times
Parkchester is one of the OKAY parts of the Bronx.....alot safer than neighborhoods further south but its not pelham manor and it definitely is NOT riverdale. Mainly Blacks, Latinos and a growing bangladeshi minority. Most are working people who live check to check. Imagine a older version of Co Op City and Spring Creek or a black/latino version of stuyvesant town. You can get got and have your things stolen if youre not smart or careful otherwise youll be good to go safetywise.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
Thank you for noting this. That is a deal breaker for me. I thought each building had a laundry room.
Not from what I've seen, but there are a number of laundromats around. The other thing I find interesting is how hilly some parts are, though there a number of supermarkets around (I counted at least three during the times I've been there), but I have no idea how they are in terms of quality. Depending on where you are located, if you don't have a car, that can be a pain walking with groceries and the like. The layout of complex IMO is poor and requires you to walk long distances or cut through other buildings too which I don't care for, which may be a concern for you late at night. The main two strips are Metropolitan Avenue and Unionport Rd. My friends are located in the northern part of the complex, which is furthest from the subway and quite a walk if you are taking public transport, all uphill I may add, so I would keep that in mind if you still consider any of the buildings. I will say that there is a sense of community there and they have regular events at the Oval, which serves as the main center of the complex. I get the impression that people have lived there for years and some are friendly and will speak and so on. As others have noted, it is mainly a working class area, but you need street smarts for sure. I have generally not been there too late at night, so I cannot say how it is then.

If and when they do more upgrades, I suppose then prices will rise, but until then....

Old 12-24-2016, 07:50 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

The vast majority of buildings in NYC fall under the "older" category. In fact, Parkchester isn't even that old for NYC standards.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The vast majority of buildings in NYC fall under the "older" category. In fact, Parkchester isn't even that old for NYC standards.
That's immaterial. Plenty of older buildings have had upgrades to allow for laundry on-site or within the apartment. Lots of gut renovations. Parkchester consists of rents AND condos. I can't think of too many people that would want to purchase an apartment these days without laundry on the premises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City