U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2016, 11:31 AM
 
4,914 posts, read 5,529,090 times
Reputation: 7132

Advertisements

Mainly due to skyrocketing rent.

A grim-sounding Marchetto blamed soaring operating costs including new minimum-wage rules and rent that escalated from $500 a month in 1975 to $41,000 a month today.

I cant do it anymore, Marchetto said.



I guess we'll have yet ANOTHER pharmacy chain or bank to take its place.


Legendary eatery Da Silvano ‘closed forever’ | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2016, 11:34 AM
 
4,914 posts, read 5,529,090 times
Reputation: 7132
Has anyone taken a walk thru the west village or greenwich village lately? Every other store front is vacant or for rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 11:48 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,586 posts, read 2,699,692 times
Reputation: 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Has anyone taken a walk thru the west village or greenwich village lately? Every other store front is vacant or for rent.
Yeah, there's a few places I used to frequent in the village that have closed.... 'Ino comes to mind. Such a great place, albeit very tiny. Stinks that it closed down.

Da Silvano's isn't what it used to be anyway, so perhaps was time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 02:57 PM
 
18,293 posts, read 11,683,969 times
Reputation: 11946
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yeah, there's a few places I used to frequent in the village that have closed.... 'Ino comes to mind. Such a great place, albeit very tiny. Stinks that it closed down.

Da Silvano's isn't what it used to be anyway, so perhaps was time.

*LOL*


Always remember the owner more for his stunts like this:


Da Silvano owner accused of groping parking-garage manager | New York Post




Mr. and Mrs. Da Silvano also put their WV home up for sale recently: Da Silvano Owner and Cartoonist List Their West Village Home | | Observer


GV and WV have become the "new" UES; there is just so much money down there and it is chasing out what was left of the old (especially Italian) West Village.


If it isn't celebrities/the wealthy it is NYU, either way Greenwich Village/West Village has long since lost much if not all of its former working and middle class roots. Remember this was the area that stood up and forced Robert Moses to back down; scoring a rare victory against a power broker everyone assumed was invincible and marked the beginning of the man's decline in power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 05:22 PM
 
4,162 posts, read 3,451,075 times
Reputation: 1556
The west village has been somewhat of a ghost town lately. Sad news. What is Bar Pitti gonna do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,182 posts, read 32,707,062 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Has anyone taken a walk thru the west village or greenwich village lately? Every other store front is vacant or for rent.
8th Street is dead. I remember that store where they sold t-shirts of all the movies.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 09:38 PM
 
18,293 posts, read 11,683,969 times
Reputation: 11946
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
8th Street is dead. I remember that store where they sold t-shirts of all the movies.
Eighth Street for all intents and purposes is now just an extension of NYU campus; at least from about Fifth to Broadway. Actually with the whole Astor Place redo would say it goes all the way to Third Avenue.


Forget trying to drive west to east on Eighth Avenue, between the bike lane, pedestrian "safe" zones and so forth traffic is squeezed onto one right side lane. Even then those GD NYU students stroll out into traffic like they own the place.


Remember going to 8th Street Playhouse to see Rocky Horror back in the day, such fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2016, 09:53 PM
 
2,139 posts, read 2,159,601 times
Reputation: 2313
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Remember going to 8th Street Playhouse to see Rocky Horror back in the day, such fun!
I was there !


Do you remember the clothing store called FLIP down by 6th Ave ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 09:33 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
7,586 posts, read 2,699,692 times
Reputation: 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Eighth Street for all intents and purposes is now just an extension of NYU campus; at least from about Fifth to Broadway. Actually with the whole Astor Place redo would say it goes all the way to Third Avenue.


Forget trying to drive west to east on Eighth Avenue, between the bike lane, pedestrian "safe" zones and so forth traffic is squeezed onto one right side lane. Even then those GD NYU students stroll out into traffic like they own the place.


Remember going to 8th Street Playhouse to see Rocky Horror back in the day, such fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
*LOL*


Always remember the owner more for his stunts like this:


Da Silvano owner accused of groping parking-garage manager | New York Post




Mr. and Mrs. Da Silvano also put their WV home up for sale recently: Da Silvano Owner and Cartoonist List Their West Village Home | | Observer


GV and WV have become the "new" UES; there is just so much money down there and it is chasing out what was left of the old (especially Italian) West Village.


If it isn't celebrities/the wealthy it is NYU, either way Greenwich Village/West Village has long since lost much if not all of its former working and middle class roots. Remember this was the area that stood up and forced Robert Moses to back down; scoring a rare victory against a power broker everyone assumed was invincible and marked the beginning of the man's decline in power.
Agreed. There were a lot of Italian restaurants in the area. There are still some remaining, but clearly the area is going through a transition. Becoming just as sterile as other parts of the city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
The west village has been somewhat of a ghost town lately. Sad news. What is Bar Pitti gonna do?
Bar Pitti is still considered an institution of sorts, even if their customer service is suspect. If anything they'll likely just jack up their prices more, as if it isn't already overpriced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2016, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,157 posts, read 26,444,908 times
Reputation: 9034
I have always resented how much pavement space Da Silvano takes up and whether they pay for the privilege in a payment to the City or with a bribe to the inspectors.


I won't miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top